Re: link fw_up145_14/3

  • jah_pix
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
      Hi!

      Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE flashing things
      .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however it worked this
      time! yey.
      and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet was no longer
      open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i would like the link
      for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if anyone can send, or
      alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw upgrades will include a
      telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea of downgradeing
      firmware.

      btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which is more than can
      be said for the external USB drive i added. I understood that it would
      be formatted when the drive was to be added... what i didnt count on
      is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change this?!!!!!!! now my
      mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to swap files with
      other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is buggy at best on win2k)

      Now i learn that added usb drives are only for storing backups from
      the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next firmware update we
      could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate having NetBios open
      on my network it just invites trouble.
    • velomisto
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jah_pix" <jah_pix@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE flashing things
        > .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however it worked this
        > time! yey.
        > and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet was no longer
        > open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i would like the link
        > for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if anyone can send, or
        > alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw upgrades will include a
        > telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea of downgradeing
        > firmware.
        >
        > btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which is more than can
        > be said for the external USB drive i added. I understood that it would
        > be formatted when the drive was to be added... what i didnt count on
        > is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change this?!!!!!!! now my
        > mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to swap files with
        > other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is buggy at best on
        win2k)

        > Now i learn that added usb drives are only for storing backups from
        > the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next firmware update we
        > could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate having NetBios open
        > on my network it just invites trouble.

        I checked today the ftp-link and yes, firmware 1.45_13 ist still there
        for download.

        ftp-server: 206.135.38.243
        user: public
        pass: new stuff

        Greets,
        VeloMisto
      • born_daniel
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
          So what's the deal with this enabling/disabling telnet all the time?
          by accident? Buffalo trying to stop the hacking of their LS to maybe
          force people who want to hack it/play around with it to buy the
          Kuro. Had the Kuro been as available as the LS to Canadians (bought
          it on Computerland.ca), I would have bought that instead but I only
          found out after buying the LS.

          Daniel

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
          <velomisto@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jah_pix"
          <jah_pix@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi!
          > >
          > > Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE flashing
          things
          > > .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however it worked
          this
          > > time! yey.
          > > and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet was no
          longer
          > > open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i would like the
          link
          > > for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if anyone can send,
          or
          > > alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw upgrades will
          include a
          > > telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea of
          downgradeing
          > > firmware.
          > >
          > > btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which is more
          than can
          > > be said for the external USB drive i added. I understood that it
          would
          > > be formatted when the drive was to be added... what i didnt
          count on
          > > is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change this?!!!!!!!
          now my
          > > mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to swap files
          with
          > > other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is buggy at best
          on
          > win2k)
          > >
          > > Now i learn that added usb drives are only for storing backups
          from
          > > the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next firmware update
          we
          > > could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate having
          NetBios open
          > > on my network it just invites trouble.
          >
          > I checked today the ftp-link and yes, firmware 1.45_13 ist still
          there
          > for download.
          >
          > ftp-server: 206.135.38.243
          > user: public
          > pass: new stuff
          >
          > Greets,
          > VeloMisto
        • Mike Quetel
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
            I would think it has to do with technical support and warranty for the
            device. When you haxor your LS, you may possibly bugger it in the
            process. I think most people here have no expectation of accessing
            Buffalo's support or warranty service if that happens... but others
            may. I would think Buffalo is discouraging (or at least raising the
            bar) on hacking for that reason. Support and warranty claims cost them
            money. The kuro may be marketed as hackable, but it has a very
            different warranty and support infrastructure (much less than an LS).

            My $0.02.

            MQ

            born_daniel wrote:

            > So what's the deal with this enabling/disabling telnet all the time?
            > by accident? Buffalo trying to stop the hacking of their LS to maybe
            > force people who want to hack it/play around with it to buy the
            > Kuro. Had the Kuro been as available as the LS to Canadians (bought
            > it on Computerland.ca), I would have bought that instead but I only
            > found out after buying the LS.
            >
            > Daniel
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
            > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jah_pix"
            > <jah_pix@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi!
            > > >
            > > > Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE flashing
            > things
            > > > .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however it worked
            > this
            > > > time! yey.
            > > > and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet was no
            > longer
            > > > open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i would like the
            > link
            > > > for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if anyone can send,
            > or
            > > > alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw upgrades will
            > include a
            > > > telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea of
            > downgradeing
            > > > firmware.
            > > >
            > > > btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which is more
            > than can
            > > > be said for the external USB drive i added. I understood that it
            > would
            > > > be formatted when the drive was to be added... what i didnt
            > count on
            > > > is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change this?!!!!!!!
            > now my
            > > > mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to swap files
            > with
            > > > other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is buggy at best
            > on
            > > win2k)
            > > >
            > > > Now i learn that added usb drives are only for storing backups
            > from
            > > > the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next firmware update
            > we
            > > > could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate having
            > NetBios open
            > > > on my network it just invites trouble.
            > >
            > > I checked today the ftp-link and yes, firmware 1.45_13 ist still
            > there
            > > for download.
            > >
            > > ftp-server: 206.135.38.243
            > > user: public
            > > pass: new stuff
            > >
            > > Greets,
            > > VeloMisto

          • Wilson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
              If you don't like downgrading...you can backup
              everything from / in the new firmware to
              somewhere...also check out the kernel version.. then
              you flash back to older 1.45_13 and do a comparison on
              the files to see what they have been fixed....if it's
              just simple scripts in /etc/ or /www, then you can
              always patch it by yourself as root in 1.45_13 to
              behave as the new one.

              Who knows what Buffalo folk doing...may be the
              difference between the new firmware and the 145_13 is
              just disabling the telnet..if so, we can always use
              145_13.

              Wilson
              --- jah_pix <jah_pix@...> wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE
              > flashing things
              > .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however
              > it worked this
              > time! yey.
              > and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet
              > was no longer
              > open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i
              > would like the link
              > for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if
              > anyone can send, or
              > alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw
              > upgrades will include a
              > telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea
              > of downgradeing
              > firmware.
              >
              > btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which
              > is more than can
              > be said for the external USB drive i added. I
              > understood that it would
              > be formatted when the drive was to be added... what
              > i didnt count on
              > is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change
              > this?!!!!!!! now my
              > mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to
              > swap files with
              > other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is
              > buggy at best on win2k)
              >
              > Now i learn that added usb drives are only for
              > storing backups from
              > the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next
              > firmware update we
              > could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate
              > having NetBios open
              > on my network it just invites trouble.

              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
              http://my.yahoo.com
            • jah_pix
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                born_daniel <born_daniel@...> writes:

                > So what's the deal with this enabling/disabling telnet all the time?
                > by accident? Buffalo trying to stop the hacking of their LS to maybe
                > force people who want to hack it/play around with it to buy the
                > Kuro. Had the Kuro been as available as the LS to Canadians (bought
                > it on Computerland.ca), I would have bought that instead but I only
                > found out after buying the LS.
                >
                > Daniel

                hrm buffalo against the hacker? lmao nevermind .. anyhow, how do they expect to
                get it improved if people dont find out anything about the LS? i mean its just a
                redrag putting linux based distro on it in the first place. Surely its because
                of all the "user" input/tinkering, the project is getting any further?.. i mean
                if it was only supposed to be a NAS then surely M$ firmware wouldve suficed..
                mind u then it really wouldve been exploit hell lol

                I cant help thinking that the telnet been open .. then next update, been
                closed.. its gotta be a prelude to them including it in a future update "beta"
                testing as it were.

                jus have to wait n see, btw this group has been invaluble to me recently .. just
                taking time out to say Tah! much appreciated.
              • born_daniel
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                  > btw this group has been invaluble to me recently .. just
                  > taking time out to say Tah! much appreciated.

                  Yeah, no kidding. Thanks everyone for your contributions. It's made
                  a difference for me too.

                  Daniel
                • irvine_stock
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                    Maybe I missed something here but can't you still log into the
                    console port of the Linkstation if you solder in the internal serial
                    port?
                    If you are hacking, adding this is very simple anyway. I just plug
                    mine in when I want to see what the box is upto when the TELNET is
                    not working. I included a link on the kuro wiki to show how to do
                    it is below. (Same board, I have a couple of both)

                    [http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
                    page=AddTheInternalSerialPort&PHPSESSID=a5adf03fcf0d24741fd3aa4854656
                    513]

                    Then you should be able to turn the telnet back on permanently,
                    Right? This would give you the latest firmware and telnet.

                    Rich

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                    <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

                    > > btw this group has been invaluble to me recently .. just
                    > > taking time out to say Tah! much appreciated.
                    >
                    > Yeah, no kidding. Thanks everyone for your contributions. It's
                    made
                    > a difference for me too.
                    >
                    > Daniel
                  • Wilson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                      If this is the case, you first need to make sure the
                      root password from all the pre-1.45_14 are not
                      overwrote by the new firmware. So that you can still
                      login as root via the console. Otherwise, there's no
                      way to enable the telnet (mostly in inetd.conf) and
                      send a HUP to read the file.

                      the other way one MAY do to re-enable the telnet is to
                      take out the HD and mount it with the linux
                      workstation (with a fixed ext2fs)..but this is the
                      theory..I don't know if it'll work or not. But as I
                      suggest in other email....if the difference between
                      the new firmware and the 1.45_13 are only minor
                      scripts and configuration files fix..but not the
                      system library or so....one may be able to get a diff
                      on those files..and create an unoffical update package
                      to patch from 1.45_13 to 1.45_14.

                      just my 2 cents.

                      --- irvine_stock <r_obermeyer@...> wrote:

                      > Maybe I missed something here but can't you still
                      > log into the
                      > console port of the Linkstation if you solder in the
                      > internal serial
                      > port?
                      > If you are hacking, adding this is very simple
                      > anyway. I just plug
                      > mine in when I want to see what the box is upto when
                      > the TELNET is
                      > not working. I included a link on the kuro wiki to
                      > show how to do
                      > it is below. (Same board, I have a couple of both)
                      >
                      > [http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?

                      page=AddTheInternalSerialPort&PHPSESSID=a5adf03fcf0d24741fd3aa4854656
                      > 513]
                      >
                      > Then you should be able to turn the telnet back on
                      > permanently,
                      > Right? This would give you the latest firmware and
                      > telnet.
                      >
                      > Rich

                      > "born_daniel"
                      > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > btw this group has been invaluble to me recently
                      > .. just
                      > > > taking time out to say Tah! much appreciated.
                      > >
                      > > Yeah, no kidding. Thanks everyone for your
                      > contributions. It's
                      > made
                      > > a difference for me too.
                      > >
                      > > Daniel

                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • Marc Bizer
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                        On 1/7/05 at 2:16 PM -0800, Wilson wrote:
                        >if the difference between the new firmware and the 1.45_13

                        What's the difference between 1.44_15 and 1.45_13?

                        --Marc
                      • jah_pix
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                          Wilson <sonsondei@...> writes:

                          > If this is the case, you first need to make sure the
                          > root password from all the pre-1.45_14 are not
                          > overwrote by the new firmware. So that you can still
                          > login as root via the console. Otherwise, there's no
                          > way to enable the telnet (mostly in inetd.conf) and
                          > send a HUP to read the file.
                          >
                          > the other way one MAY do to re-enable the telnet is to
                          > take out the HD and mount it with the linux
                          > workstation (with a fixed ext2fs)..but this is the
                          > theory..I don't know if it'll work or not. But as I
                          > suggest in other email....if the difference between
                          > the new firmware and the 1.45_13 are only minor
                          > scripts and configuration files fix..but not the
                          > system library or so....one may be able to get a diff
                          > on those files..and create an unoffical update package
                          > to patch from 1.45_13 to 1.45_14.
                          >
                          > just my 2 cents.

                          Hrm...,
                          well that goes right over my head lol but as i have an "interest" in linux i
                          would be open to some suggestions on howto get some output out of the 1.45_14
                          update if someone will guide me to i ... i am not very versed in linux ways but
                          eager to learn.
                        • Andrew Hodgson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                            Wilson.

                            One issue with the disk moving is that disk has a hack on it to stop it
                            being mounted in anything other than the Linkstations firmware. There
                            is a fix to fix this, however, I am not sure whether newer revisions of
                            firmware will overwrite it.

                            Andrew.