Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: link fw_up145_14

  • Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
      usually, upgrading new firmware will preserve
      everything in the 3rd partition which is your /mnt and
      shares..

      if you make anything in root or else..those will be
      overwrite, except for some configuration file where
      they're stored in the flash..and will restore it at
      the end of the firmware update.

      BTW, reminder that this firmware should not allow
      telnet anymore...if you need telnet access as before,
      you need to use one of the 1.44 or 1.45_13 version.

      Wilson

      ------------------!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!---------------------

      http://212.67.202.23/~buffalostore/linkstation/fw_up145_14.zip

      > > I hope this resolves the issues that you are
      > experiencing, if not
      > > please do not hesitate to contact us.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >

      > > Buffalo Technology Helpdesk,

      > > Telephone: +44 (0) 8712501260
      > >
      > > Email helpdesk@b...
      > >
      > > www.buffalo-technology.com

      > > Im about to try it will let you know how it all
      > goes.. if anyone
      > has
      > > done the FTP thing can you let me know? and is it
      > possible to run
      > JUST
      > > as FTP (and web admin interface of course) and
      > turning off ALL
      > > windows/apple shares services?
      > >
      > > anyhow will post later when i .bin thro
      > flashupload hell

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Andrew Hodgson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
        Hi.

        No, but you should always do a backup, since it alters data on the root
        partition, and if it goes belly up you are stuck.

        Actually, I did some firmware tricks on Friday, I upgraded to the
        Japanese version of 1.45, then found it crashed because of DMZ issues,
        and the box just rebooted and got dynamic IP from DHCP, thought data was
        gone forever, got update eventually and it was ok.

        Luckily I had backups, wouldn't want to do it again without backups.

        Andrew.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jah_pix" <jah_pix@y...>
        wrote:

        > heya first post here thanks for all the info !!!!!
        >
        > i have a 120 gig by buffalo running the 1.3 firmware and i
        scowered
        > the net for info on howto give ftp access. after much tail chasing
        > decided to goto the source (d'oh) so i rang Buffalo in UK they
        took my
        > email address and sent me this .... hope it helps someone,
        >

        > Dear Customer,
        >
        > I checked on the FW upgrade and you can install the newest version
        > onto any existing version. Please follow these guidelines on doing
        > firmware upgrade.
        >
        > ------------------!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!---------------------
        >
        > When updating the firmware on the LinkStation all firewalls on
        your PC
        > MUST to be turned off. This is particularly important for all users
        > using the new SERVICE PACK 2 for Windows XP. If you do not switch
        off
        > the Windows Firewall or any other firewall before updating the
        > firmware, the firmware update will fail and render the unit
        useless.
        > To switch off the Windows Firewall click Start, Control Panel and
        > double click Windows firewall, click off and click OK. To switch
        off
        > any other manufactures firewall please consult their
        manual/technical
        > support. Once the firmware update has successfully completed the
        > firewalls can be switched back on.

        > You can download the most recent firmware for the LinkStation from
        the
        > following URL:
        >
        > http://212.67.202.23/~buffalostore/linkstation/fw_up145_14.zip
        >
        > I hope this resolves the issues that you are experiencing, if not
        > please do not hesitate to contact us.
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > Buffalo Technology Helpdesk,

        > Telephone: +44 (0) 8712501260
        >
        > Email helpdesk@b...
        >
        > www.buffalo-technology.com

        > Im about to try it will let you know how it all goes.. if anyone
        has
        > done the FTP thing can you let me know? and is it possible to run
        JUST
        > as FTP (and web admin interface of course) and turning off ALL
        > windows/apple shares services?
        >
        > anyhow will post later when i .bin thro flashupload hell

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • stratmoens
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
          I wonder if prior to this upgrade one can create a suid program in
          one of the shares to permit access to root after the upgrade. This
          assume that the share is not overwritten as part of the upgrade.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>
          wrote:

          > BTW, reminder that this firmware should not allow
          > telnet anymore...if you need telnet access as before,
          > you need to use one of the 1.44 or 1.45_13 version.

          /mail_250