Re: [LinkStation_General] turn your linkstation into kurobox

  • Wilson
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
      "Run the following commands to replace the kernel with
      the Kuro Box version.
      cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin > /dev/fl1"

      This line scares me as it'll modify the flash...if
      something goes wrong...the LS will be screwed up and
      unrecoverable.

      --- pans1234 <pans1234@...> wrote:

      > hi all I see this posted on the kurobox forums heres
      > the link if
      > anybody is intrested in this mod.
      >

      > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
      > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Paul Milligan (home)
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
        It's exactly what the upgrade software does. However I guess we all want to
        wait till someone else has tried it ;)

        It does, however, offer an end to the "Buffalo support is useless" problem.

        I'd have bought a KuroBox in the first place if it had been available in the
        UK.

        > "Run the following commands to replace the kernel with
        > the Kuro Box version.
        > cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin > /dev/fl1"
        >
        > This line scares me as it'll modify the flash...if
        > something goes wrong...the LS will be screwed up and
        > unrecoverable.

        > --- pans1234 <pans1234@...> wrote:
        >

        >> hi all I see this posted on the kurobox forums heres
        >> the link if
        >> anybody is intrested in this mod.
        >>

        >> http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
        >> page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

      • Thom Mason
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 9, 2005
          Well I tried it. No problems (except /dev/fll should be /dev/fl1 in
          the wiki - I posted on the kurobox forum so hopefully will be fixed).
          I'm now in the process of converting to a gentoo system...

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan \(home\)"
          <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
          > It's exactly what the upgrade software does. However I guess we all
          want to
          > wait till someone else has tried it ;)
          >
          > It does, however, offer an end to the "Buffalo support is useless"
          problem.

          > I'd have bought a KuroBox in the first place if it had been
          available in the
          > UK.

        • Jeroen van der Zijp
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 9, 2005
            On Monday 10 January 2005 09:16 pm, irvine_stock wrote:

            > Does anybody know what the password is to unzip the linkstation
            > version of the image.dat/zip file is?
            > I know a tmpimage.tgz is in it but I can't extract it.
            > If I can get this image, we can switch between kuro and Linkstation
            > without to much problem. Anybody that bought a kurobox to save
            > money can convert it to a linkstation or the other way round.
            > A lot of functions are in the LinkStation version. Its 35MBytes vs
            > 17Mbytes for the Kuro.

            I noticed this too. Does anyone have an idea what the differences are?

            The one big thing the kuro image has going for it, IMHO, is a known
            root password; you can get back in easily in case things get messed
            up.

            - Jeroen
          • Jeroen van der Zijp
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 9, 2005
              On Monday 10 January 2005 09:12 pm, irvine_stock wrote:

              > Wilson,
              > I am a little fuzzy on the command differences, what they do and
              > what they should really be. Since these flash commands could be
              > fatal (brick) I think we need to be clear what it does before we use
              > it. Clearly lots of these folks are newbies. :-)
              >
              > Read OS flash:
              > cat /dev/fl1 >> /mnt/shares/fl1_original
              > I think this appends which may not matter if the file is new. But
              > second time will be fatal.
              >
              > versus
              > cat /dev/fl1 > /mnt/shares/fl1_original
              > this replaces the contents. Can be run more than once.
              >

              > Write flash:
              > cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin > /dev/fl1
              > should work :-)
              >
              > cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin >> /dev/fl1
              > will probably trash up the flash but will not update the OS
              > correctly.
              >
              > Does this seem about right?

              Just use < and > ONLY.

              The double << and >> will append to the end of the file. When
              reading back from flash, it will leave you with a corrupt image
              file which SHOULD NOT be used to flash back to the device.

              Doing cat firmimg.bin >>/dev/fl1 is liable to turn your machine
              into a very attractive brick; DON'T use this.

              Use: "cat firmimg.bin >/dev/fl1" to write to flash, and use
              "cat /dev/fl1 > oldimage.bin" to read from it.

              Once you got a viable image into the flash I strongly recommend not
              messing with it too much. Once you're into non-EM mode you can
              put stuff on disk instead and changing the flash is no longer needed
              unless you need a new kernel.

              Apart from the danger of turning the device into a brick, there is
              the issue of most flash memory having a finite number of write-cycles.

              Just my nickel of advice,

              - Jeroen
            • Wilson
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 10, 2005
                I just read the instruction clearly....basically...you
                just update the flash content after you can login to
                the kuro telnet access from the firmware update.. at
                least I can save the original flash content before I
                update:

                cat /dev/fl1 >> /mnt/shares/fl1_original

                Then I can be safe to play around.

                Wilson

                --- Thom Mason <t.e.mason@...> wrote:

                > Well I tried it. No problems (except /dev/fll
                > should be /dev/fl1 in
                > the wiki - I posted on the kurobox forum so
                > hopefully will be fixed).
                > I'm now in the process of converting to a gentoo
                > system...
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul
                > Milligan \(home\)"
                > <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
                > > It's exactly what the upgrade software does.
                > However I guess we all
                > want to
                > > wait till someone else has tried it ;)
                > >
                > > It does, however, offer an end to the "Buffalo
                > support is useless"
                > problem.
                > >
                > > I'd have bought a KuroBox in the first place if it
                > had been
                > available in the
                > > UK.

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              • irvine_stock
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 10, 2005
                  Wilson,
                  I am a little fuzzy on the command differences, what they do and
                  what they should really be. Since these flash commands could be
                  fatal (brick) I think we need to be clear what it does before we use
                  it. Clearly lots of these folks are newbies. :-)

                  Read OS flash:
                  cat /dev/fl1 >> /mnt/shares/fl1_original
                  I think this appends which may not matter if the file is new. But
                  second time will be fatal.

                  versus
                  cat /dev/fl1 > /mnt/shares/fl1_original
                  this replaces the contents. Can be run more than once.

                  Write flash:
                  cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin > /dev/fl1
                  should work :-)

                  cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin >> /dev/fl1
                  will probably trash up the flash but will not update the OS
                  correctly.

                  Does this seem about right?

                  Rich
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 10, 2005
                    Does anybody know what the password is to unzip the linkstation
                    version of the image.dat/zip file is?
                    I know a tmpimage.tgz is in it but I can't extract it.
                    If I can get this image, we can switch between kuro and Linkstation
                    without to much problem. Anybody that bought a kurobox to save
                    money can convert it to a linkstation or the other way round.
                    A lot of functions are in the LinkStation version. Its 35MBytes vs
                    17Mbytes for the Kuro.

                    My better reason is to compare the various LinkStation releases like
                    145_13 vs 145_15 and see the differences. I can turn telnet back on
                    and use the update.

                    Rich
                  • Wilson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 10, 2005
                      as if there's lot of newbies..just use > instead of >>
                      to work with /dev/flx device files...so you won't
                      screw up.

                      There's fl0 to fl4 if you want to back up everything.

                      W.
                      --- irvine_stock <r_obermeyer@...> wrote:

                      > Wilson,
                      > I am a little fuzzy on the command differences, what
                      > they do and
                      > what they should really be. Since these flash
                      > commands could be
                      > fatal (brick) I think we need to be clear what it
                      > does before we use
                      > it. Clearly lots of these folks are newbies. :-)
                      >
                      > Read OS flash:
                      > cat /dev/fl1 >> /mnt/shares/fl1_original
                      > I think this appends which may not matter if the
                      > file is new. But
                      > second time will be fatal.
                      >
                      > versus
                      > cat /dev/fl1 > /mnt/shares/fl1_original
                      > this replaces the contents. Can be run more than
                      > once.
                      >

                      > Write flash:
                      > cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin > /dev/fl1
                      > should work :-)
                      >
                      > cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin >> /dev/fl1
                      > will probably trash up the flash but will not update
                      > the OS
                      > correctly.
                      >
                      > Does this seem about right?
                      >
                      > Rich
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
                      > <sonsondei@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > I just read the instruction
                      > clearly....basically...you
                      > > just update the flash content after you can login
                      > > the kuro telnet access from the firmware update..
                      > at
                      > > least I can save the original flash content before
                      > > update:
                      > >
                      > > cat /dev/fl1 >> /mnt/shares/fl1_original
                      > >
                      > > Then I can be safe to play around.
                      > >
                      > > Wilson
                      > >
                      > > --- Thom Mason <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > Well I tried it. No problems (except /dev/fll
                      > > > should be /dev/fl1 in
                      > > > the wiki - I posted on the kurobox forum so
                      > > > hopefully will be fixed).
                      > > > I'm now in the process of converting to a
                      > gentoo
                      > > > system...
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                      > "Paul
                      > > > Milligan \(home\)"
                      > > > However I guess we all
                      > > > want to

                      > > > support is useless"
                      > > > problem.

                      > if it
                      > > > had been
                      > > > available in the

                    • Andrew Hodgson
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 11, 2005

                        As others have said, only use the single shevron (i.e, cat /dev/fl1 >/path/to/backupfile.

                        I have been doing some searching and have noticed also that the Linkstation HDD image is a lot larger than the Kuro version, I may see if I can crack the password on the Linkstation one and see what is in it that is not in the smaller image. I think more dangerous than changing the flash is changing the blocks on the hdd, as if that is messed up you loose the data plus may not get the original firmware upgrade program to rekognise the drive as the Linkstation.

                        My questions now are:
                        1. Are those original blocks written back to the disk at any point (firmware upgrade using official firmware, reformat etc).
                        2. What is in the other flash chips (fl0, fl2, fl3 and fl4)?

                        Andrew.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 11, 2005
                          I ran zipcrack for a couple of days without any success. I have to presume that at some stage during the upgrade process an unziped version of the image has to be on a filesystem somewhere. I am alomost at the stage where I feel I will have to break open my box, at least then I can look at the disk via another system.

                          A good description of the flash and boot systems can be found at:-

                          and

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 11, 2005
                            I wonder if the kuro image comes with all the user
                            daemons like ftp, samba, etc...or just have a telnet
                            daemon and basic kernel...if this is the case, then
                            may be it has a much smaller image than Linkstation.

                            I don't know about the kuro image...so I'm just
                            wondering since they have the binary.zip for you to
                            install separately which includes all the daemons and
                            libraries.

                            Wilson
                            --- Jeroen van der Zijp <jeroen@...>
                            wrote:

                            > On Monday 10 January 2005 09:16 pm, irvine_stock
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Does anybody know what the password is to unzip
                            > the linkstation
                            > > version of the image.dat/zip file is?
                            > > I know a tmpimage.tgz is in it but I can't extract
                            > it.
                            > > If I can get this image, we can switch between
                            > kuro and Linkstation
                            > > without to much problem. Anybody that bought a
                            > kurobox to save
                            > > money can convert it to a linkstation or the other
                            > way round.
                            > > A lot of functions are in the LinkStation version.
                            > Its 35MBytes vs
                            > > 17Mbytes for the Kuro.
                            >

                            > I noticed this too. Does anyone have an idea what
                            > the differences are?
                            >
                            > The one big thing the kuro image has going for it,
                            > IMHO, is a known
                            > root password; you can get back in easily in case
                            > things get messed
                            > up.
                            >
                            > - Jeroen

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • Thom Mason
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 11, 2005
                              The Kuro binaries package includes stuff that is on the Linkstation
                              (e.g. perl) - I expect that is the difference.
                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...> wrote:
                              > I wonder if the kuro image comes with all the user
                              > daemons like ftp, samba, etc...or just have a telnet
                              > daemon and basic kernel...if this is the case, then
                              > may be it has a much smaller image than Linkstation.
                              >
                              > I don't know about the kuro image...so I'm just
                              > wondering since they have the binary.zip for you to
                              > install separately which includes all the daemons and
                              > libraries.
                              >
                              > Wilson
                              > --- Jeroen van der Zijp <jeroen@f...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > On Monday 10 January 2005 09:16 pm, irvine_stock
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Does anybody know what the password is to unzip
                              > > the linkstation
                              > > > version of the image.dat/zip file is?
                              > > > I know a tmpimage.tgz is in it but I can't extract
                              > > it.
                              > > > If I can get this image, we can switch between
                              > > kuro and Linkstation
                              > > > without to much problem. Anybody that bought a
                              > > kurobox to save
                              > > > money can convert it to a linkstation or the other
                              > > way round.
                              > > > A lot of functions are in the LinkStation version.
                              > > Its 35MBytes vs
                              > > > 17Mbytes for the Kuro.
                              > >

                              > > I noticed this too. Does anyone have an idea what
                              > > the differences are?
                              > >
                              > > The one big thing the kuro image has going for it,
                              > > IMHO, is a known
                              > > root password; you can get back in easily in case
                              > > things get messed
                              > > up.
                              > >
                              > > - Jeroen

                              > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                            • e_matibag
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 12, 2005
                                Another question.

                                Has anyone who has followed the wiki to turn the linkstation to a
                                kuro box have any problems.

                                I am encountering a problem in which after I flash the linkstation
                                and get the error.
                                I try to telnet into the linkstation at the IP address listed (I
                                have confirmed that is the IP address of the linkstation) anf I
                                cannot telnet in.

                                Anyone know how to solve this issue?

                                Ed

                                wrote:
                                > I just read the instruction clearly....basically...you
                                > just update the flash content after you can login to
                                > the kuro telnet access from the firmware update.. at
                                > least I can save the original flash content before I
                                > update:
                                >
                                > cat /dev/fl1 >> /mnt/shares/fl1_original
                                >
                                > Then I can be safe to play around.
                                >
                                > Wilson
                                >
                                > --- Thom Mason <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > Well I tried it. No problems (except /dev/fll
                                > > should be /dev/fl1 in
                                > > the wiki - I posted on the kurobox forum so
                                > > hopefully will be fixed).
                                > > I'm now in the process of converting to a gentoo
                                > > system...
                                > >
                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul
                                > > Milligan \(home\)"
                                > > <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
                                > > > It's exactly what the upgrade software does.
                                > > However I guess we all
                                > > want to
                                > > > wait till someone else has tried it ;)
                                > > >
                                > > > It does, however, offer an end to the "Buffalo
                                > > support is useless"
                                > > problem.
                                > > >
                                > > > I'd have bought a KuroBox in the first place if it
                                > > had been
                                > > available in the
                                > > > UK.

                              • Marshall D. Lewis
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005
                                  Had the same problem (just now in fact)... it looks like it wss
                                  because my pc had a firewall on when I was trying to run the upgrade
                                  utility. I just turned my firewall off and re-ran the update util..
                                  and everything is working.

                                  BTW: you don't have to do the crossover cable thing.. you can leave
                                  the box connected to the network as is, reboot it as directed, and
                                  then just telnet to it's dhcp ip.

                                  --
                                  Marshall

                                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "e_matibag" <rhinoed@a...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Another question.
                                  >
                                  > Has anyone who has followed the wiki to turn the linkstation to a
                                  > kuro box have any problems.
                                  >
                                  > I am encountering a problem in which after I flash the linkstation
                                  > and get the error.
                                  > I try to telnet into the linkstation at the IP address listed (I
                                  > have confirmed that is the IP address of the linkstation) anf I
                                  > cannot telnet in.
                                  >
                                  > Anyone know how to solve this issue?
                                  >
                                  > Ed
                                  >

                                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > I just read the instruction clearly....basically...you
                                  > > just update the flash content after you can login to
                                  > > the kuro telnet access from the firmware update.. at
                                  > > least I can save the original flash content before I
                                  > > update:
                                  > >
                                  > > cat /dev/fl1 >> /mnt/shares/fl1_original
                                  > >
                                  > > Then I can be safe to play around.
                                  > >
                                  > > Wilson
                                  > >
                                  > > --- Thom Mason <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > > Well I tried it. No problems (except /dev/fll
                                  > > > should be /dev/fl1 in
                                  > > > the wiki - I posted on the kurobox forum so
                                  > > > hopefully will be fixed).
                                  > > > I'm now in the process of converting to a gentoo
                                  > > > system...
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul
                                  > > > Milligan \(home\)"
                                  > > > However I guess we all
                                  > > > want to

                                  > > > support is useless"
                                  > > > problem.

                                  > > > had been
                                  > > > available in the

                                • Christopher Eykamp
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005

                                    I had a similar problem, which turned out to be related to IP addresses and my network topology.  I set my LS to 192.168.11.150, connected it directly to my PC, flipped the switch to crossover, and set my desktop to 192.168.11.1, and the process worked smoothly from there.  Those steps may not be strictly necessary, but they did work for me.

                                    Does your machine respond to ping?

                                    Also note that the setup software that comes with the LS no longer recognizes the unit once it has been "kuroized".

                                    Chris

                                  • Andrew Hodgson
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005
                                      Chris.

                                      I wonder if you could change the Linkstation to a linkstation again by writing the LS flash to /fl1, and then formatting all partitions on the disk?  Would it re-write the boot blocks again I wonder?

                                      Andrew.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005

                                        I'll bet you could do it, but why??

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005
                                          I can ping the box at 192.168.11.150.
                                          But the LS setup software can see the box still after the trying to
                                          kuroize the box

                                          I followed the instructions in replacing the image.dat in LS setup
                                          file with the image.zip file from the kuro setup files. renamed the
                                          zip file to image.dat. Run the setup, goes thru and errors out with
                                          the message "cannot read the firmware file" and hangs the LS install
                                          program. I have to force quit out it. then follow the rest of the
                                          setup.

                                          Is this correct?

                                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Eykamp

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005

                                            When I first tried it, I got that error message very quickly, and it had not properly worked.  You can tell you are likely to be met by success when the new firmware takes a few minutes to be transferred before the error comes up.  If the error pops up with no apparent transmission to the unit, then it isn't working.  But then you knew that, didn't you ;-)

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005

                                              Was just curious - there may be features in the Linkstation firmware that are not in the Kuro firmware.

                                              Andrew.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005
                                                From what I read, you can only flash the 'flash'
                                                /dev/fl1 after you successfully telnet into the kuro
                                                image after you flash the firmware. If you haven't
                                                done so, I guess your LS is still a LS with a corrupt
                                                firmware...you should be able to flash back to the LS
                                                firmware and try again..I believed.

                                                Wilson

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 13, 2005
                                                  I tried it again. I still cannot telnet after corrupting the flash
                                                  through the LS setup software. Thus I cannot flash the kuro image
                                                  file to the LS.

                                                  if i replace the image.dat file with the original one, I can flash
                                                  to the back to firmware 1.45_13. and drive is back to normal.

                                                  Would this problem related of not able to telnet into LS box be due
                                                  that the original firmware version of this box is 1.30?

                                                  Any comments

                                                  Ed

                                                  wrote:
                                                  > From what I read, you can only flash the 'flash'
                                                  > /dev/fl1 after you successfully telnet into the kuro
                                                  > image after you flash the firmware. If you haven't
                                                  > done so, I guess your LS is still a LS with a corrupt
                                                  > firmware...you should be able to flash back to the LS
                                                  > firmware and try again..I believed.
                                                  >
                                                  > Wilson
                                                  > --- e_matibag <rhinoed@a...> wrote:
                                                  >

                                                  > > I can ping the box at 192.168.11.150.
                                                  > > But the LS setup software can see the box still
                                                  > > after the trying to
                                                  > > kuroize the box
                                                  > >

                                                  > > I followed the instructions in replacing the
                                                  > > image.dat in LS setup
                                                  > > file with the image.zip file from the kuro setup
                                                  > > files. renamed the
                                                  > > zip file to image.dat. Run the setup, goes thru and
                                                  > > errors out with
                                                  > > the message "cannot read the firmware file" and
                                                  > > hangs the LS install
                                                  > > program. I have to force quit out it. then follow
                                                  > > the rest of the
                                                  > > setup.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Is this correct?
                                                  > >

                                                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                                                  > > Christopher Eykamp
                                                  > > <chris@e...> wrote:
                                                  > > > I had a similar problem, which turned out to be
                                                  > > related to IP
                                                  > > addresses and my network topology. I set my LS to
                                                  > > 192.168.11.150,
                                                  > > connected it directly to my PC, flipped the switch
                                                  > > to crossover, and
                                                  > > set my desktop to 192.168.11.1, and the process
                                                  > > worked smoothly from
                                                  > > there. Those steps may not be strictly necessary,
                                                  > > but they did work
                                                  > > for me.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Does your machine respond to ping?
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Also note that the setup software that comes with
                                                  > > the LS no longer
                                                  > > recognizes the unit once it has been "kuroized".
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Chris

                                                  > > linkstation to a

                                                  > > flash the
                                                  > > linkstation
                                                  > > address listed (I
                                                  > > linkstation) anf I

                                                  > > Wilson
                                                  > > <sonsondei@y...>

                                                  > > clearly....basically...you
                                                  > > login to
                                                  > > update..  at
                                                  > > before I

                                                  > > gentoo

                                                  > > "Paul

                                                  > > "Buffalo

                                                  > > if it

                                                • Frederik Kunz
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 15, 2005
                                                    e_matibag wrote:
                                                    > I tried it again. I still cannot telnet after corrupting the flash
                                                    > through the LS setup software. Thus I cannot flash the kuro image
                                                    > file to the LS.
                                                    >
                                                    > if i replace the image.dat file with the original one, I can flash
                                                    > to the back to firmware 1.45_13. and drive is back to normal.
                                                    >
                                                    > Would this problem related of not able to telnet into LS box be due
                                                    > that the original firmware version of this box is 1.30?

                                                    Hi,

                                                    I'm the author of the wiki article. Could it be that you own a older
                                                    HD-LAN with 16MB of flash instead of a HD-HLAN with 4MB flash? My How-To
                                                    will not work with the older boxes, I added a warning.

                                                    Regards,

                                                    Frederik
                                                  • Andrew Hodgson
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 15, 2005

                                                      I did see this warning, and as someone who had a box in around June last
                                                      year, wonder if I have an older version? Is there any way to tell?

                                                      Andrew.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 15, 2005
                                                        Andrew Hodgson wrote:
                                                        > I did see this warning, and as someone who had a box in around June last
                                                        > year, wonder if I have an older version? Is there any way to tell?
                                                        It might tell on the sticker. Another way would be to cat the flash
                                                        content to disk with
                                                        cat /dev/fl* >> flash

                                                        now check the size of that file with
                                                        ls -lh flash
                                                        If it is 4MB you have a newer LS, if it 16MB it is old.
                                                      • Inframan
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 21, 2005
                                                          <frederik.kunz@a...> wrote:
                                                          > Andrew Hodgson wrote:
                                                          >> I did see this warning, and as someone who had a box in around
                                                          >> June last year, wonder if I have an older version? Is there any
                                                          >> way to tell?
                                                          >
                                                          > It might tell on the sticker. Another way would be to cat the flash
                                                          > content to disk with
                                                          >
                                                          > cat /dev/fl* >> flash
                                                          >
                                                          > now check the size of that file with
                                                          > ls -lh flash
                                                          > If it is 4MB you have a newer LS, if it 16MB it is old.

                                                          BUT WHAT IF IT'S 8MB ??!!

                                                          root@BISON:~# cat /dev/fl* >> flash
                                                          cat: /dev/fl5: No such device

                                                          root@BISON:~# ls -lh
                                                          total 8.1M
                                                          -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8.0M Jan 21 22:43 flash

                                                          root@BISON:~#
                                                        • Frederik Kunz
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 25, 2005
                                                            Inframan wrote:
                                                            > <frederik.kunz@a...> wrote:
                                                            >>cat /dev/fl* >> flash
                                                            >>
                                                            >>now check the size of that file with
                                                            >>ls -lh flash
                                                            >>If it is 4MB you have a newer LS, if it 16MB it is old.
                                                            >

                                                            > BUT WHAT IF IT'S 8MB ??!!
                                                            >
                                                            > root@BISON:~# cat /dev/fl* >> flash
                                                            > cat: /dev/fl5: No such device
                                                            >
                                                            > root@BISON:~# ls -lh
                                                            > total 8.1M
                                                            > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8.0M Jan 21 22:43 flash
                                                            >
                                                            > root@BISON:~#

                                                            Well, I was wrong, the file should be 8MB, because fl[0-3] contain
                                                            seperate sections of the flash store and fl4 contains the whole flash
                                                            store again.