Replacing the original hard disk on the Linkstation

  • duncankh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
      Hi, I only just got my Linkstation yesterday, and first impressions
      of it are great. I wanted to know if it is possible to change the
      hard disk to 400gb disk and still use the original firmware.

      Also, what speed is the original hard disk supplied with the
      linkstation? 7200rpm? 8mb cache?

      Thanks.
    • chano22000
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
        According to hdparm -i the internal drive for my 250GB LS is a
        WD2500BB-55GUA0.
        The related Western Digital documentation states 7200 rpm and 2Mo
        cache.
        The max ATA interface speed is 100MB/s (UDMA mode 5)(and is the mode
        run by the LS).

        Regards.
      • duncankh
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
          I have tried to search through the post, but i cant find exact steps
          on replacing the hard disk.
          I am very new to all of this and don't want to render my Linkstation
          useless. Would it be possible for some one to give a brief guide on
          how to upgrade the hard disk. (creating the partitions etc, not
          taking the box apart) Would be much appriciated.

          Thanks

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
          <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:

          > According to hdparm -i the internal drive for my 250GB LS is a
          > WD2500BB-55GUA0.
          > The related Western Digital documentation states 7200 rpm and 2Mo
          > cache.
          > The max ATA interface speed is 100MB/s (UDMA mode 5)(and is the
          mode
          > run by the LS).

          > Regards.
        • thomascarlitz
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2005
            Hello,
            i used Norton Ghost to make an Harddisk Image Copy of the originial
            Linkstation harddisk (120GB).

            I used than an old Seagate 1.7GB Harddisk and this image.

            Worked perfect.

            regards,
            Thomas

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "duncankh" <duncan888@h...
            > wrote:
            >
            > I have tried to search through the post, but i cant find exact steps
            > on replacing the hard disk.
            > I am very new to all of this and don't want to render my Linkstation
            > useless. Would it be possible for some one to give a brief guide on
            > how to upgrade the hard disk. (creating the partitions etc, not
            > taking the box apart) Would be much appriciated.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
            > <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
            > >
            > > According to hdparm -i the internal drive for my 250GB LS is a
            > > WD2500BB-55GUA0.
            > > The related Western Digital documentation states 7200 rpm and 2Mo
            > > cache.
            > > The max ATA interface speed is 100MB/s (UDMA mode 5)(and is the
            > mode
            > > run by the LS).

            > > Regards.
          • Joe Giordano
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2005
              1) So you opened up the linkstation.
              2) inserted it into the pc.
              3) Did a disk (original linkstation) to disk (backup
              1.7 seagate) copy
              4) Then the 1.7gb seagate to a much larger disk than
              the orig?

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250