Re: How to configure NFS on the Linkstation???

  • Michael Davey
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
      <velomisto@y...> wrote:
      > I read on the Revogear forum
      > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
      > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need the
      > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also Embedded
      > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?

      I don't believe that anyone has written one. nfsd (the nfs daemon) is
      provided in binary.zip, available here:
      http://revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip

      You would need to unzip all of nfs.tar.gz on the box, then use Google
      to find some generic Linux instructions describing where to put all
      the files and how to configure the software.

      --
      Michael
    • velomisto
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Davey"
        <md84419@y...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
        > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
        > > I read on the Revogear forum
        > > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
        > > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need the
        > > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also Embedded
        > > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?
        >
        > I don't believe that anyone has written one. nfsd (the nfs daemon) is
        > provided in binary.zip, available here:
        > http://revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip
        >
        > You would need to unzip all of nfs.tar.gz on the box, then use Google
        > to find some generic Linux instructions describing where to put all
        > the files and how to configure the software.
        >
        > --
        > Michael

        Hi Michael,

        unhappy to hear that. I browsed the messages and found messages #57
        and #95 dealing about nfsd. But unfortunately it's rather confusing to
        me as lots of different files are mentioned. So, could someone at
        least say, which files where to install (minimum) and what
        init-scripts how to edit? I assume that files from nfs.tar.gz are
        enough and adaptions have to be made in "nfs-common". Am I right?
        After that I assume that I have to hold to the common Linux-NFS-HowTo.
        Right?

        Any help appreciated...
        TIA,
        VeloMisto

        P.S.: Can I make a backup of the system files somehow easily before
        "playing" with Linux to go back in case...?
      • skarabaeus33
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
          <velomisto@y...> wrote:

          > Hi fellows,
          >
          > since today I'm a proud owner of a brand new Linkstation. So as you
          > see I'm a real greenhorn.
          > The main aspect for buying the LS was to me that it seems to be able
          > to run a NFS server on it. I read on the Revogear forum
          > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
          > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need the
          > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also Embedded
          > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Velomisto

          Hi,

          I'm also looking for a file server for my Neutrino satellite receiver.
          With the new Neutrino CVS it is possible to mount a folder on an FTP
          server. I have heard that it runs with a FTP server on a PC and other
          NAS systems, but i am not able to get it running on my linkstation.
          I get no mount error when i try it and the receiver mounts something,
          but the connection to the linkstation doesent work. Is there someone
          who is able to mount the linkstation to a Neutrino receiver?

          regards
          Skarabaeus
        • thebigs81
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
            i have a "dreambox" satellite receiver, but with enigma. there i can
            mount to an windows share (cifs) and it works greate with the
            linkstation. i think it is possible to add cifs support for neutrino.

            greeting
            sven

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "skarabaeus33"
            <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
            > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi fellows,
            > >
            > > since today I'm a proud owner of a brand new Linkstation. So as
            you
            > > see I'm a real greenhorn.
            > > The main aspect for buying the LS was to me that it seems to be
            able
            > > to run a NFS server on it. I read on the Revogear forum
            > > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
            > > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need
            the
            > > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also
            Embedded
            > > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance,
            > > Velomisto
            >
            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm also looking for a file server for my Neutrino satellite
            receiver.
            > With the new Neutrino CVS it is possible to mount a folder on an
            FTP
            > server. I have heard that it runs with a FTP server on a PC and
            other
            > NAS systems, but i am not able to get it running on my linkstation.
            > I get no mount error when i try it and the receiver mounts
            something,
            > but the connection to the linkstation doesent work. Is there
            someone
            > who is able to mount the linkstation to a Neutrino receiver?
            >
            > regards
            > Skarabaeus
          • velomisto
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
              <velomisto@y...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Davey"
              > <md84419@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
              > > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
              > > > I read on the Revogear forum
              > > > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it
              needs
              > > > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I
              need the
              > > > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also
              Embedded
              > > > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?
              > >
              > > I don't believe that anyone has written one. nfsd (the nfs
              daemon) is
              > > provided in binary.zip, available here:
              > > http://revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip
              > >
              > > You would need to unzip all of nfs.tar.gz on the box, then use
              Google
              > > to find some generic Linux instructions describing where to put
              all
              > > the files and how to configure the software.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Michael
              >
              > Hi Michael,
              >
              > unhappy to hear that. I browsed the messages and found messages #57
              > and #95 dealing about nfsd. But unfortunately it's rather confusing
              > me as lots of different files are mentioned. So, could someone at
              > least say, which files where to install (minimum) and what
              > init-scripts how to edit? I assume that files from nfs.tar.gz are
              > enough and adaptions have to be made in "nfs-common". Am I right?
              > After that I assume that I have to hold to the common
              Linux-NFS-HowTo.
              > Right?
              >
              > Any help appreciated...
              > TIA,
              > VeloMisto
              >
              > P.S.: Can I make a backup of the system files somehow easily before
              > "playing" with Linux to go back in case...?

              Hi all,

              I managed to install the NFS server. It was easier than I thought. As
              mentioned I used only files from nfs.tar.gz and portmap-5beta.tar.gz
              out of the binary.zip package. Than configured the nfs configuration
              files. The NFS server works well with my sat receiver. I'll write down
              a small howto after I have finished testing all features.
              So, to all LS experts goes my next problem: Does the LS support file
              size >2GB through NFS? My NFS client (sat receiver) breaks down when
              writing more than 2GB on the LS. Is this due to the LS file system
              (ext2 or ext3 ?) or due to NFS version (V2 or V3?)? As I mentioned I'm
              no linux expert so please could you give me some info. For your info:
              My LS has firmware 1.44 (built-in original). I could solve the file
              size problem by letting the client split files at 2GB max. but I'd
              like too keep files unsplitted.

              @scarrabaeus33:
              I have a Neutrino-Box as sat receiver, too. And I bought the LS in
              first place for the use as streaming file server. Neutrino supports
              direct recording only to NFS servers (not CIFS and FTP !). So you can
              use only NAS with NFS support. As you see from my above post I
              achieved to link Neutrino to the LS by installing the NFS server.

              Thanks for any help in advance!

              Greets,
              VeloMisto
            • skarabaeus33
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                <velomisto@y...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I managed to install the NFS server. It was easier than I thought. As
                > mentioned I used only files from nfs.tar.gz and portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                > out of the binary.zip package. Than configured the nfs configuration
                > files. The NFS server works well with my sat receiver. I'll write down
                > a small howto after I have finished testing all features.
                > So, to all LS experts goes my next problem: Does the LS support file
                > size >2GB through NFS? My NFS client (sat receiver) breaks down when
                > writing more than 2GB on the LS. Is this due to the LS file system
                > (ext2 or ext3 ?) or due to NFS version (V2 or V3?)? As I mentioned I'm
                > no linux expert so please could you give me some info. For your info:
                > My LS has firmware 1.44 (built-in original). I could solve the file
                > size problem by letting the client split files at 2GB max. but I'd
                > like too keep files unsplitted.
                >
                > @scarrabaeus33:
                > I have a Neutrino-Box as sat receiver, too. And I bought the LS in
                > first place for the use as streaming file server. Neutrino supports
                > direct recording only to NFS servers (not CIFS and FTP !). So you can
                > use only NAS with NFS support. As you see from my above post I
                > achieved to link Neutrino to the LS by installing the NFS server.
                >
                > Thanks for any help in advance!
                >
                > Greets,
                > VeloMisto

                @VeloMisto

                Great to hear that NFS runs on your LS! I'm sure that the Streaming
                works also with FTPFS on other NAS systems! And also via FTPFS to an
                XBOX. I have this info from a german DVB board. For example the new
                Yadi Snapshot 2.0.0.7 supports FTPFS. But anyway, if NFS works on LS
                everything is fine. If you have finished your howto, can you upload it
                here, or send me an email?

                THX
                Skarabaeus
              • velomisto
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                  <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                  > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all,
                  > >
                  > > I managed to install the NFS server. It was easier than I thought. As
                  > > mentioned I used only files from nfs.tar.gz and portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                  > > out of the binary.zip package. Than configured the nfs configuration
                  > > files. The NFS server works well with my sat receiver. I'll write down
                  > > a small howto after I have finished testing all features.
                  > > So, to all LS experts goes my next problem: Does the LS support file
                  > > size >2GB through NFS? My NFS client (sat receiver) breaks down when
                  > > writing more than 2GB on the LS. Is this due to the LS file system
                  > > (ext2 or ext3 ?) or due to NFS version (V2 or V3?)? As I mentioned I'm
                  > > no linux expert so please could you give me some info. For your info:
                  > > My LS has firmware 1.44 (built-in original). I could solve the file
                  > > size problem by letting the client split files at 2GB max. but I'd
                  > > like too keep files unsplitted.
                  > >
                  > > @scarrabaeus33:
                  > > I have a Neutrino-Box as sat receiver, too. And I bought the LS in
                  > > first place for the use as streaming file server. Neutrino supports
                  > > direct recording only to NFS servers (not CIFS and FTP !). So you can
                  > > use only NAS with NFS support. As you see from my above post I
                  > > achieved to link Neutrino to the LS by installing the NFS server.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for any help in advance!
                  > >
                  > > Greets,
                  > > VeloMisto
                  >
                  > @VeloMisto
                  >
                  > Great to hear that NFS runs on your LS! I'm sure that the Streaming
                  > works also with FTPFS on other NAS systems! And also via FTPFS to an
                  > XBOX. I have this info from a german DVB board. For example the new
                  > Yadi Snapshot 2.0.0.7 supports FTPFS. But anyway, if NFS works on LS
                  > everything is fine. If you have finished your howto, can you upload it
                  > here, or send me an email?
                  >
                  > THX
                  > Skarabaeus

                  @skarabaeus33:

                  You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with movieplayer from
                  many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                  function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                  which you can record with one press on the red remote control button,
                  works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                  tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality (but I'd
                  be surprised).
                  I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                  want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints appreciated...

                  Greets,
                  VeloMisto
                • skarabaeus33
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                    <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                    > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with movieplayer from
                    > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                    > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                    > which you can record with one press on the red remote control button,
                    > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                    > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality (but I'd
                    > be surprised).
                    > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                    > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints appreciated...
                    >
                    > Greets,
                    > VeloMisto

                    Hi,
                    I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                    folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can handle
                    more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in your
                    Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.

                    regards
                    Skarabaeus
                  • velomisto
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                      <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                      > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                      > > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with movieplayer from
                      > > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                      > > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                      > > which you can record with one press on the red remote control button,
                      > > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                      > > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality (but I'd
                      > > be surprised).
                      > > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                      > > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints
                      appreciated...

                      > > Greets,
                      > > VeloMisto
                      >
                      > Hi,
                      > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                      > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can handle
                      > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in your
                      > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                      >
                      > regards
                      > Skarabaeus

                      Hi Skarabaeus,

                      thanks for your support. You're right, the file system of the LS isn't
                      the problem. I found the problem is that the LS supports only NFS v2
                      (which has a 2GB limit) with the used nfs-utils from binary.zip (or
                      maybe it is even down to the kernel, but kernel 2.4.17 support NFS v3
                      usually). Perhaps we could use other compiled binaries to enable NFS
                      v3. Maybe the yellowdog files mentioned in message #57 support NFS3 ?
                      There seems to be a possibility to extend the file size limit to 4GB
                      with NFS2 (using "unsigned 32 bit offsets") but I couldn't find out
                      how and where it is done!?
                      Other thing: If you change recording settings in Neutrino to 0 MB then
                      the streaming files won't be split up.

                      Any help welcome...

                      Greets,
                      Velomisto
                    • velomisto
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                        <velomisto@y...> wrote:

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "skarabaeus33"
                        > <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                        > > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                        > > > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with
                        movieplayer from
                        > > > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                        > > > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                        > > > which you can record with one press on the red remote control
                        button,
                        > > > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                        > > > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality
                        (but I'd
                        > > > be surprised).
                        > > > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                        > > > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints
                        > appreciated...
                        > > >
                        > > > Greets,
                        > > > VeloMisto
                        > >
                        > > Hi,
                        > > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                        > > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can handle
                        > > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in your
                        > > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                        > >
                        > > regards
                        > > Skarabaeus
                        >
                        > Hi Skarabaeus,
                        >
                        > thanks for your support. You're right, the file system of the LS isn't
                        > the problem. I found the problem is that the LS supports only NFS v2
                        > (which has a 2GB limit) with the used nfs-utils from binary.zip (or
                        > maybe it is even down to the kernel, but kernel 2.4.17 support NFS v3
                        > usually). Perhaps we could use other compiled binaries to enable NFS
                        > v3. Maybe the yellowdog files mentioned in message #57 support NFS3 ?
                        > There seems to be a possibility to extend the file size limit to 4GB
                        > with NFS2 (using "unsigned 32 bit offsets") but I couldn't find out
                        > how and where it is done!?
                        > Other thing: If you change recording settings in Neutrino to 0 MB then
                        > the streaming files won't be split up.
                        >
                        > Any help welcome...
                        >
                        > Greets,
                        > Velomisto

                        Hi all,

                        as I promised, I wrote a small howto describing the steps I took to
                        install and run the NFS server on my LinkStation (it worked for me). I
                        take no responsibility for possible damages caused by following the
                        steps neither for typing errors! Anyway you should read the linked
                        docs very carefully!

                        1. Change root password of your LS using the HowTo from the "Files"
                        section:
                        2. Download http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip to your PC
                        3. Extract files nfs.tar.gz and portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                        4. Copy these two files to the LS for example to your share folder
                        (/mnt/share)
                        5. Login to your LS as root via telnet
                        5. Make two temporary directories on your share dir:
                        mkdir /mnt/share/temp1
                        mkdir /mnt/share/temp2
                        6. Change to the first temp dir:
                        cd /mnt/share/temp1
                        7. Extract files from the first tar-archive to temp1:
                        tar xvfz /mnt/share/nfs.tar.gz
                        8. Move following files to their appropriate destination:
                        mv ./etc/init.d/nfs-common /etc/init.d/
                        mv ./etc/init.d/nfs-user-server /etc/init.d/
                        mv ./usr/sbin/exportfs /usr/sbin/
                        mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.mountd /usr/sbin/
                        mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd /usr/sbin/
                        mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad /usr/sbin/
                        mv ./usr/sbin/nfsstat /usr/sbin/
                        mv ./usr/sbin/showmount /usr/sbin/
                        mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.lockd /usr/sbin/
                        mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.statd /usr/sbin/
                        8. Change to the second temp dir:
                        cd /mnt/share/temp2
                        9. Extract files from the second tar-archive to temp2:
                        tar xvfz /mnt/share/portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                        10. Move following files to their appropriate destination:
                        mv ./etc/init.d/portmap /etc/init.d/
                        mv ./sbin/pmap_dump /sbin/
                        mv ./sbin/pmap_set /sbin/
                        mv ./sbin/portmap /sbin/
                        11. Create and/or edit the files /etc/exports , /etc/hosts.allow and
                        /etc/hosts.deny using the text editor "vi" (see also the
                        Gain-root-HowTo) and following the hints explained on:
                        http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/server.html
                        http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yizl/id12.html#s3 (German version)
                        12. Run the portmap by executing the script:
                        /etc/init.d/portmap start
                        13. Run the NFS utils by executing the script:
                        /etc/init.d/nfs-common start
                        14. Run the NFS server by executing the script:
                        /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server start

                        Finished! The server should be up now. If it worked you can delete the
                        temporary directories temp1 and temp2.

                        Regards and thanks go to Stubbsjuk (Change-root-howto), Derek Taubert
                        (msg #57+58), James Ronald (msg #65), Dave Kristol (msg #699) and Michael
                        Davey (msg #853) !

                        Greetings,
                        VeloMisto
                      • skarabaeus33
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                          @VeloMisto
                          Many thanks for your how to! and also for the NFS how to in german :-)
                          that makes it a little bit easyer for me.

                          THX
                          Skarabaeus

                          <velomisto@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > mv ./sbin/pmap_set /sbin/
                          > mv ./sbin/portmap /sbin/
                          > 11. Create and/or edit the files /etc/exports , /etc/hosts.allow and
                          > /etc/hosts.deny using the text editor "vi" (see also the
                          > Gain-root-HowTo) and following the hints explained on:
                          > http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/server.html
                          > http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yizl/id12.html#s3 (German version)
                          > 12. Run the portmap by executing the script:
                          > /etc/init.d/portmap start
                          > 13. Run the NFS utils by executing the script:
                          > /etc/init.d/nfs-common start
                          > 14. Run the NFS server by executing the script:
                          > /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server start
                          >
                          > Finished! The server should be up now. If it worked you can delete the
                          > temporary directories temp1 and temp2.
                          >
                          > Regards and thanks go to Stubbsjuk (Change-root-howto), Derek Taubert
                          > (msg #57+58), James Ronald (msg #65), Dave Kristol (msg #699) and

                        • timid1200
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 9, 2005
                            <velomisto@y...> wrote:

                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "skarabaeus33"
                            > <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                            > > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                            > > > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with
                            movieplayer from
                            > > > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                            > > > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                            > > > which you can record with one press on the red remote control
                            button,
                            > > > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                            > > > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality
                            (but I'd
                            > > > be surprised).
                            > > > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                            > > > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints
                            > appreciated...
                            > > >
                            > > > Greets,
                            > > > VeloMisto
                            > >
                            > > Hi,
                            > > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                            > > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can handle
                            > > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in your
                            > > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                            > >
                            > > regards
                            > > Skarabaeus
                            >
                            > Hi Skarabaeus,
                            >
                            > thanks for your support. You're right, the file system of the LS isn't
                            > the problem. I found the problem is that the LS supports only NFS v2
                            > (which has a 2GB limit) with the used nfs-utils from binary.zip (or
                            > maybe it is even down to the kernel, but kernel 2.4.17 support NFS v3
                            > usually). Perhaps we could use other compiled binaries to enable NFS
                            > v3. Maybe the yellowdog files mentioned in message #57 support NFS3 ?
                            > There seems to be a possibility to extend the file size limit to 4GB
                            > with NFS2 (using "unsigned 32 bit offsets") but I couldn't find out
                            > how and where it is done!?
                            > Other thing: If you change recording settings in Neutrino to 0 MB then
                            > the streaming files won't be split up.
                            >
                            > Any help welcome...
                            >
                            > Greets,
                            > Velomisto

                            Hello Velomisto,

                            You will most likely have to compile NFS v.3 yourself. IIRC kernel
                            support is not needed for the daemon side, only client side. If you
                            get the binary.zip package from the kurobox.com site you should have
                            all the necessary tools required to compile things for yourself. I
                            have compiled sendmail, pine, and various other things for the LS
                            using the tools in that package.

                            Tim
                          • velomisto
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 9, 2005
                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "timid1200"
                              <timid1200@y...> wrote:

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                              > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "skarabaeus33"
                              > > <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                              > movieplayer from
                              > button,
                              > (but I'd
                              Still I
                              > > appreciated...

                              > > > Hi,
                              > > > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                              > > > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can
                              handle
                              > > > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in
                              your
                              > > > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                              > > >
                              > > > regards
                              > > > Skarabaeus
                              > >
                              > > Hi Skarabaeus,
                              > >
                              > > thanks for your support. You're right, the file system of the LS isn't
                              > > the problem. I found the problem is that the LS supports only NFS v2
                              > > (which has a 2GB limit) with the used nfs-utils from binary.zip (or
                              > > maybe it is even down to the kernel, but kernel 2.4.17 support NFS v3
                              > > usually). Perhaps we could use other compiled binaries to enable NFS
                              > > v3. Maybe the yellowdog files mentioned in message #57 support NFS3 ?
                              > > There seems to be a possibility to extend the file size limit to 4GB
                              > > with NFS2 (using "unsigned 32 bit offsets") but I couldn't find out
                              > > how and where it is done!?
                              > > Other thing: If you change recording settings in Neutrino to 0 MB then
                              > > the streaming files won't be split up.
                              > >
                              > > Any help welcome...
                              > >
                              > > Greets,
                              > > Velomisto
                              >
                              > Hello Velomisto,
                              >
                              > You will most likely have to compile NFS v.3 yourself. IIRC kernel
                              > support is not needed for the daemon side, only client side. If you
                              > get the binary.zip package from the kurobox.com site you should have
                              > all the necessary tools required to compile things for yourself. I
                              > have compiled sendmail, pine, and various other things for the LS
                              > using the tools in that package.
                              >
                              > Tim

                              Hi Tim,

                              thanks for your hints but what did you mean with "IIRC kernel support" ?
                              I can't get the thing if NFS3 support is lacking in the kernel or only
                              in the NFS-utils (i.e. rpc.mountd)? Of course I could compile new
                              binaries but with my linux skills I'd try that maybe in half a year...
                              by the way I'd need a cross compiler or compile it directly on the LS
                              but both seems to risky for myself. So, I'm thinking about trying nfs
                              binaries from the current Debian packages for PPC (nfs-common and
                              nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server). I'm hoping that these work on
                              the LS too as the binaries from the Kuro binary.zip were also based on
                              Debian packages and will hopefully bring NFS3 support to the LS.
                              Anybody thinking that this couldn't work?

                              Any help appreciated....

                              Greetings,
                              VeloMisto
                            • velomisto
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 9, 2005
                                > > Hello Velomisto,
                                > >
                                > > You will most likely have to compile NFS v.3 yourself. IIRC kernel
                                > > support is not needed for the daemon side, only client side. If you
                                > > get the binary.zip package from the kurobox.com site you should have
                                > > all the necessary tools required to compile things for yourself. I
                                > > have compiled sendmail, pine, and various other things for the LS
                                > > using the tools in that package.
                                > >
                                > > Tim
                                >
                                > Hi Tim,
                                >
                                > thanks for your hints but what did you mean with "IIRC kernel support" ?
                                > I can't get the thing if NFS3 support is lacking in the kernel or only
                                > in the NFS-utils (i.e. rpc.mountd)? Of course I could compile new
                                > binaries but with my linux skills I'd try that maybe in half a year...
                                > by the way I'd need a cross compiler or compile it directly on the LS
                                > but both seems to risky for myself. So, I'm thinking about trying nfs
                                > binaries from the current Debian packages for PPC (nfs-common and
                                > nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server). I'm hoping that these work on
                                > the LS too as the binaries from the Kuro binary.zip were also based on
                                > Debian packages and will hopefully bring NFS3 support to the LS.
                                > Anybody thinking that this couldn't work?
                                >
                                > Any help appreciated....
                                >
                                > Greetings,
                                > VeloMisto

                                Hi folks,

                                I gave my thoughts a try and installed portmap and nfs binaries from
                                Debian packages instead of the Kuro binary package. And what is the
                                result:
                                NFS3 (or NFS v3) is working now on my LinkStation! There's no 2GB file
                                size limit any more!
                                For your information, I took binaries and scripts out of following
                                Debian packages:
                                http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/portmap/portmap_5-2_powerpc.deb
                                http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/n/nfs-utils/nfs-common_1.0-2woody3_powerpc.deb
                                http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/n/nfs-utils/nfs-kernel-server_1.0-2woody3_powerpc.deb

                                Pay attention to edit the script /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server. Remove
                                there the argument "--no-nfs-version 3" from the variable $RPCMOUNTDOPTS.

                                Greetings,
                                VeloMisto

                                P.S.: I'll post an updated NFS-install-howto in few days. For now it's
                                enough that I spent the whole weekend hacking my LS.
                              • born_daniel
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 11, 2005
                                  <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

                                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                                  > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                                  > > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with movieplayer
                                  from
                                  > > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                                  > > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                                  > > which you can record with one press on the red remote control
                                  button,
                                  > > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                                  > > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality
                                  (but I'd
                                  > > be surprised).
                                  > > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still
                                  > > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints
                                  appreciated...

                                  > > Greets,
                                  > > VeloMisto
                                  >
                                  > Hi,
                                  > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                                  > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can
                                  handle
                                  > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in
                                  your
                                  > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                                  >
                                  > regards
                                  > Skarabaeus

                                  I've copied 30GB-sized files (uncompressed digital video) without
                                  any problems from my XP machine through the standard Samba interface,
                                  so your problem is definitely not related to the ext3 file system.

                                  Good luck in finding the solution,
                                  Daniel
                                • skarabaeus33
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 11, 2005
                                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                                    <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

                                    > I've copied 30GB-sized files (uncompressed digital video) without
                                    > any problems from my XP machine through the standard Samba interface,
                                    > so your problem is definitely not related to the ext3 file system.
                                    >
                                    > Good luck in finding the solution,
                                    > Daniel

                                    @born_daniel

                                    Hi,

                                    He has already found a solution, please refer to message #925

                                    regards
                                    Skarabaeus
                                  • born_daniel
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 12, 2005
                                      <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

                                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                                      > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I've copied 30GB-sized files (uncompressed digital video)
                                      without
                                      > > any problems from my XP machine through the standard Samba
                                      interface,
                                      > > so your problem is definitely not related to the ext3 file system.
                                      > >
                                      > > Good luck in finding the solution,
                                      > > Daniel
                                      >
                                      > @born_daniel
                                      >
                                      > Hi,
                                      >
                                      > He has already found a solution, please refer to message #925
                                      >
                                      > regards
                                      > Skarabaeus

                                      Yeah, I know... I only found out after sending my message. That's
                                      what you get for responding to posts that are a few days old without
                                      going through the whole thread first... ;-)

                                      Thanks,
                                      Daniel