How to configure NFS on the Linkstation???

  • velomisto
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hi fellows,

      since today I'm a proud owner of a brand new Linkstation. So as you
      see I'm a real greenhorn.
      The main aspect for buying the LS was to me that it seems to be able
      to run a NFS server on it. I read on the Revogear forum
      (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
      only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need the
      LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also Embedded
      Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?

      Thanks in advance,
      Velomisto
    • Michael Davey
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
        <velomisto@y...> wrote:
        > I read on the Revogear forum
        > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
        > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need the
        > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also Embedded
        > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?

        I don't believe that anyone has written one. nfsd (the nfs daemon) is
        provided in binary.zip, available here:
        http://revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip

        You would need to unzip all of nfs.tar.gz on the box, then use Google
        to find some generic Linux instructions describing where to put all
        the files and how to configure the software.

        --
        Michael
      • velomisto
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Davey"
          <md84419@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
          > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
          > > I read on the Revogear forum
          > > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
          > > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need the
          > > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also Embedded
          > > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?
          >
          > I don't believe that anyone has written one. nfsd (the nfs daemon) is
          > provided in binary.zip, available here:
          > http://revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip
          >
          > You would need to unzip all of nfs.tar.gz on the box, then use Google
          > to find some generic Linux instructions describing where to put all
          > the files and how to configure the software.
          >
          > --
          > Michael

          Hi Michael,

          unhappy to hear that. I browsed the messages and found messages #57
          and #95 dealing about nfsd. But unfortunately it's rather confusing to
          me as lots of different files are mentioned. So, could someone at
          least say, which files where to install (minimum) and what
          init-scripts how to edit? I assume that files from nfs.tar.gz are
          enough and adaptions have to be made in "nfs-common". Am I right?
          After that I assume that I have to hold to the common Linux-NFS-HowTo.
          Right?

          Any help appreciated...
          TIA,
          VeloMisto

          P.S.: Can I make a backup of the system files somehow easily before
          "playing" with Linux to go back in case...?
        • skarabaeus33
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
            <velomisto@y...> wrote:

            > Hi fellows,
            >
            > since today I'm a proud owner of a brand new Linkstation. So as you
            > see I'm a real greenhorn.
            > The main aspect for buying the LS was to me that it seems to be able
            > to run a NFS server on it. I read on the Revogear forum
            > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
            > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need the
            > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also Embedded
            > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Velomisto

            Hi,

            I'm also looking for a file server for my Neutrino satellite receiver.
            With the new Neutrino CVS it is possible to mount a folder on an FTP
            server. I have heard that it runs with a FTP server on a PC and other
            NAS systems, but i am not able to get it running on my linkstation.
            I get no mount error when i try it and the receiver mounts something,
            but the connection to the linkstation doesent work. Is there someone
            who is able to mount the linkstation to a Neutrino receiver?

            regards
            Skarabaeus
          • thebigs81
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
              i have a "dreambox" satellite receiver, but with enigma. there i can
              mount to an windows share (cifs) and it works greate with the
              linkstation. i think it is possible to add cifs support for neutrino.

              greeting
              sven

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "skarabaeus33"
              <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
              > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi fellows,
              > >
              > > since today I'm a proud owner of a brand new Linkstation. So as
              you
              > > see I'm a real greenhorn.
              > > The main aspect for buying the LS was to me that it seems to be
              able
              > > to run a NFS server on it. I read on the Revogear forum
              > > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it needs
              > > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I need
              the
              > > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also
              Embedded
              > > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance,
              > > Velomisto
              >
              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm also looking for a file server for my Neutrino satellite
              receiver.
              > With the new Neutrino CVS it is possible to mount a folder on an
              FTP
              > server. I have heard that it runs with a FTP server on a PC and
              other
              > NAS systems, but i am not able to get it running on my linkstation.
              > I get no mount error when i try it and the receiver mounts
              something,
              > but the connection to the linkstation doesent work. Is there
              someone
              > who is able to mount the linkstation to a Neutrino receiver?
              >
              > regards
              > Skarabaeus
            • velomisto
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                <velomisto@y...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Davey"
                > <md84419@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                > > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                > > > I read on the Revogear forum
                > > > (http://www.revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86) that it
                needs
                > > > only to be configured somehow. As I'm not a Linux expert (I
                need the
                > > > LS as a NFS file server for a satellite receiver running also
                Embedded
                > > > Linux) I'd ask you to help me out. Where could I find a HowTo?
                > >
                > > I don't believe that anyone has written one. nfsd (the nfs
                daemon) is
                > > provided in binary.zip, available here:
                > > http://revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip
                > >
                > > You would need to unzip all of nfs.tar.gz on the box, then use
                Google
                > > to find some generic Linux instructions describing where to put
                all
                > > the files and how to configure the software.
                > >
                > > --
                > > Michael
                >
                > Hi Michael,
                >
                > unhappy to hear that. I browsed the messages and found messages #57
                > and #95 dealing about nfsd. But unfortunately it's rather confusing
                > me as lots of different files are mentioned. So, could someone at
                > least say, which files where to install (minimum) and what
                > init-scripts how to edit? I assume that files from nfs.tar.gz are
                > enough and adaptions have to be made in "nfs-common". Am I right?
                > After that I assume that I have to hold to the common
                Linux-NFS-HowTo.
                > Right?
                >
                > Any help appreciated...
                > TIA,
                > VeloMisto
                >
                > P.S.: Can I make a backup of the system files somehow easily before
                > "playing" with Linux to go back in case...?

                Hi all,

                I managed to install the NFS server. It was easier than I thought. As
                mentioned I used only files from nfs.tar.gz and portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                out of the binary.zip package. Than configured the nfs configuration
                files. The NFS server works well with my sat receiver. I'll write down
                a small howto after I have finished testing all features.
                So, to all LS experts goes my next problem: Does the LS support file
                size >2GB through NFS? My NFS client (sat receiver) breaks down when
                writing more than 2GB on the LS. Is this due to the LS file system
                (ext2 or ext3 ?) or due to NFS version (V2 or V3?)? As I mentioned I'm
                no linux expert so please could you give me some info. For your info:
                My LS has firmware 1.44 (built-in original). I could solve the file
                size problem by letting the client split files at 2GB max. but I'd
                like too keep files unsplitted.

                @scarrabaeus33:
                I have a Neutrino-Box as sat receiver, too. And I bought the LS in
                first place for the use as streaming file server. Neutrino supports
                direct recording only to NFS servers (not CIFS and FTP !). So you can
                use only NAS with NFS support. As you see from my above post I
                achieved to link Neutrino to the LS by installing the NFS server.

                Thanks for any help in advance!

                Greets,
                VeloMisto
              • skarabaeus33
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                  <velomisto@y...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I managed to install the NFS server. It was easier than I thought. As
                  > mentioned I used only files from nfs.tar.gz and portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                  > out of the binary.zip package. Than configured the nfs configuration
                  > files. The NFS server works well with my sat receiver. I'll write down
                  > a small howto after I have finished testing all features.
                  > So, to all LS experts goes my next problem: Does the LS support file
                  > size >2GB through NFS? My NFS client (sat receiver) breaks down when
                  > writing more than 2GB on the LS. Is this due to the LS file system
                  > (ext2 or ext3 ?) or due to NFS version (V2 or V3?)? As I mentioned I'm
                  > no linux expert so please could you give me some info. For your info:
                  > My LS has firmware 1.44 (built-in original). I could solve the file
                  > size problem by letting the client split files at 2GB max. but I'd
                  > like too keep files unsplitted.
                  >
                  > @scarrabaeus33:
                  > I have a Neutrino-Box as sat receiver, too. And I bought the LS in
                  > first place for the use as streaming file server. Neutrino supports
                  > direct recording only to NFS servers (not CIFS and FTP !). So you can
                  > use only NAS with NFS support. As you see from my above post I
                  > achieved to link Neutrino to the LS by installing the NFS server.
                  >
                  > Thanks for any help in advance!
                  >
                  > Greets,
                  > VeloMisto

                  @VeloMisto

                  Great to hear that NFS runs on your LS! I'm sure that the Streaming
                  works also with FTPFS on other NAS systems! And also via FTPFS to an
                  XBOX. I have this info from a german DVB board. For example the new
                  Yadi Snapshot 2.0.0.7 supports FTPFS. But anyway, if NFS works on LS
                  everything is fine. If you have finished your howto, can you upload it
                  here, or send me an email?

                  THX
                  Skarabaeus
                • velomisto
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                    <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                    > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi all,
                    > >
                    > > I managed to install the NFS server. It was easier than I thought. As
                    > > mentioned I used only files from nfs.tar.gz and portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                    > > out of the binary.zip package. Than configured the nfs configuration
                    > > files. The NFS server works well with my sat receiver. I'll write down
                    > > a small howto after I have finished testing all features.
                    > > So, to all LS experts goes my next problem: Does the LS support file
                    > > size >2GB through NFS? My NFS client (sat receiver) breaks down when
                    > > writing more than 2GB on the LS. Is this due to the LS file system
                    > > (ext2 or ext3 ?) or due to NFS version (V2 or V3?)? As I mentioned I'm
                    > > no linux expert so please could you give me some info. For your info:
                    > > My LS has firmware 1.44 (built-in original). I could solve the file
                    > > size problem by letting the client split files at 2GB max. but I'd
                    > > like too keep files unsplitted.
                    > >
                    > > @scarrabaeus33:
                    > > I have a Neutrino-Box as sat receiver, too. And I bought the LS in
                    > > first place for the use as streaming file server. Neutrino supports
                    > > direct recording only to NFS servers (not CIFS and FTP !). So you can
                    > > use only NAS with NFS support. As you see from my above post I
                    > > achieved to link Neutrino to the LS by installing the NFS server.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for any help in advance!
                    > >
                    > > Greets,
                    > > VeloMisto
                    >
                    > @VeloMisto
                    >
                    > Great to hear that NFS runs on your LS! I'm sure that the Streaming
                    > works also with FTPFS on other NAS systems! And also via FTPFS to an
                    > XBOX. I have this info from a german DVB board. For example the new
                    > Yadi Snapshot 2.0.0.7 supports FTPFS. But anyway, if NFS works on LS
                    > everything is fine. If you have finished your howto, can you upload it
                    > here, or send me an email?
                    >
                    > THX
                    > Skarabaeus

                    @skarabaeus33:

                    You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with movieplayer from
                    many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                    function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                    which you can record with one press on the red remote control button,
                    works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                    tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality (but I'd
                    be surprised).
                    I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                    want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints appreciated...

                    Greets,
                    VeloMisto
                  • skarabaeus33
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                      <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                      > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with movieplayer from
                      > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                      > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                      > which you can record with one press on the red remote control button,
                      > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                      > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality (but I'd
                      > be surprised).
                      > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                      > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints appreciated...
                      >
                      > Greets,
                      > VeloMisto

                      Hi,
                      I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                      folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can handle
                      more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in your
                      Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.

                      regards
                      Skarabaeus
                    • velomisto
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                        <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                        > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                        > > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with movieplayer from
                        > > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                        > > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                        > > which you can record with one press on the red remote control button,
                        > > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                        > > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality (but I'd
                        > > be surprised).
                        > > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                        > > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints
                        appreciated...

                        > > Greets,
                        > > VeloMisto
                        >
                        > Hi,
                        > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                        > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can handle
                        > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in your
                        > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                        >
                        > regards
                        > Skarabaeus

                        Hi Skarabaeus,

                        thanks for your support. You're right, the file system of the LS isn't
                        the problem. I found the problem is that the LS supports only NFS v2
                        (which has a 2GB limit) with the used nfs-utils from binary.zip (or
                        maybe it is even down to the kernel, but kernel 2.4.17 support NFS v3
                        usually). Perhaps we could use other compiled binaries to enable NFS
                        v3. Maybe the yellowdog files mentioned in message #57 support NFS3 ?
                        There seems to be a possibility to extend the file size limit to 4GB
                        with NFS2 (using "unsigned 32 bit offsets") but I couldn't find out
                        how and where it is done!?
                        Other thing: If you change recording settings in Neutrino to 0 MB then
                        the streaming files won't be split up.

                        Any help welcome...

                        Greets,
                        Velomisto
                      • velomisto
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                          <velomisto@y...> wrote:

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "skarabaeus33"
                          > <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                          > > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                          > > > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with
                          movieplayer from
                          > > > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                          > > > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                          > > > which you can record with one press on the red remote control
                          button,
                          > > > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                          > > > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality
                          (but I'd
                          > > > be surprised).
                          > > > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                          > > > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints
                          > appreciated...
                          > > >
                          > > > Greets,
                          > > > VeloMisto
                          > >
                          > > Hi,
                          > > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                          > > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can handle
                          > > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in your
                          > > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                          > >
                          > > regards
                          > > Skarabaeus
                          >
                          > Hi Skarabaeus,
                          >
                          > thanks for your support. You're right, the file system of the LS isn't
                          > the problem. I found the problem is that the LS supports only NFS v2
                          > (which has a 2GB limit) with the used nfs-utils from binary.zip (or
                          > maybe it is even down to the kernel, but kernel 2.4.17 support NFS v3
                          > usually). Perhaps we could use other compiled binaries to enable NFS
                          > v3. Maybe the yellowdog files mentioned in message #57 support NFS3 ?
                          > There seems to be a possibility to extend the file size limit to 4GB
                          > with NFS2 (using "unsigned 32 bit offsets") but I couldn't find out
                          > how and where it is done!?
                          > Other thing: If you change recording settings in Neutrino to 0 MB then
                          > the streaming files won't be split up.
                          >
                          > Any help welcome...
                          >
                          > Greets,
                          > Velomisto

                          Hi all,

                          as I promised, I wrote a small howto describing the steps I took to
                          install and run the NFS server on my LinkStation (it worked for me). I
                          take no responsibility for possible damages caused by following the
                          steps neither for typing errors! Anyway you should read the linked
                          docs very carefully!

                          1. Change root password of your LS using the HowTo from the "Files"
                          section:
                          2. Download http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip to your PC
                          3. Extract files nfs.tar.gz and portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                          4. Copy these two files to the LS for example to your share folder
                          (/mnt/share)
                          5. Login to your LS as root via telnet
                          5. Make two temporary directories on your share dir:
                          mkdir /mnt/share/temp1
                          mkdir /mnt/share/temp2
                          6. Change to the first temp dir:
                          cd /mnt/share/temp1
                          7. Extract files from the first tar-archive to temp1:
                          tar xvfz /mnt/share/nfs.tar.gz
                          8. Move following files to their appropriate destination:
                          mv ./etc/init.d/nfs-common /etc/init.d/
                          mv ./etc/init.d/nfs-user-server /etc/init.d/
                          mv ./usr/sbin/exportfs /usr/sbin/
                          mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.mountd /usr/sbin/
                          mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd /usr/sbin/
                          mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad /usr/sbin/
                          mv ./usr/sbin/nfsstat /usr/sbin/
                          mv ./usr/sbin/showmount /usr/sbin/
                          mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.lockd /usr/sbin/
                          mv ./usr/sbin/rpc.statd /usr/sbin/
                          8. Change to the second temp dir:
                          cd /mnt/share/temp2
                          9. Extract files from the second tar-archive to temp2:
                          tar xvfz /mnt/share/portmap-5beta.tar.gz
                          10. Move following files to their appropriate destination:
                          mv ./etc/init.d/portmap /etc/init.d/
                          mv ./sbin/pmap_dump /sbin/
                          mv ./sbin/pmap_set /sbin/
                          mv ./sbin/portmap /sbin/
                          11. Create and/or edit the files /etc/exports , /etc/hosts.allow and
                          /etc/hosts.deny using the text editor "vi" (see also the
                          Gain-root-HowTo) and following the hints explained on:
                          http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/server.html
                          http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yizl/id12.html#s3 (German version)
                          12. Run the portmap by executing the script:
                          /etc/init.d/portmap start
                          13. Run the NFS utils by executing the script:
                          /etc/init.d/nfs-common start
                          14. Run the NFS server by executing the script:
                          /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server start

                          Finished! The server should be up now. If it worked you can delete the
                          temporary directories temp1 and temp2.

                          Regards and thanks go to Stubbsjuk (Change-root-howto), Derek Taubert
                          (msg #57+58), James Ronald (msg #65), Dave Kristol (msg #699) and Michael
                          Davey (msg #853) !

                          Greetings,
                          VeloMisto
                        • skarabaeus33
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 8, 2005
                            @VeloMisto
                            Many thanks for your how to! and also for the NFS how to in german :-)
                            that makes it a little bit easyer for me.

                            THX
                            Skarabaeus

                            <velomisto@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > mv ./sbin/pmap_set /sbin/
                            > mv ./sbin/portmap /sbin/
                            > 11. Create and/or edit the files /etc/exports , /etc/hosts.allow and
                            > /etc/hosts.deny using the text editor "vi" (see also the
                            > Gain-root-HowTo) and following the hints explained on:
                            > http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/server.html
                            > http://mysite.verizon.net/res0yizl/id12.html#s3 (German version)
                            > 12. Run the portmap by executing the script:
                            > /etc/init.d/portmap start
                            > 13. Run the NFS utils by executing the script:
                            > /etc/init.d/nfs-common start
                            > 14. Run the NFS server by executing the script:
                            > /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server start
                            >
                            > Finished! The server should be up now. If it worked you can delete the
                            > temporary directories temp1 and temp2.
                            >
                            > Regards and thanks go to Stubbsjuk (Change-root-howto), Derek Taubert
                            > (msg #57+58), James Ronald (msg #65), Dave Kristol (msg #699) and

                          • timid1200
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 9, 2005
                              <velomisto@y...> wrote:

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "skarabaeus33"
                              > <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                              > > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                              > > > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with
                              movieplayer from
                              > > > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                              > > > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                              > > > which you can record with one press on the red remote control
                              button,
                              > > > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                              > > > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality
                              (but I'd
                              > > > be surprised).
                              > > > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still I
                              > > > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints
                              > appreciated...
                              > > >
                              > > > Greets,
                              > > > VeloMisto
                              > >
                              > > Hi,
                              > > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                              > > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can handle
                              > > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in your
                              > > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                              > >
                              > > regards
                              > > Skarabaeus
                              >
                              > Hi Skarabaeus,
                              >
                              > thanks for your support. You're right, the file system of the LS isn't
                              > the problem. I found the problem is that the LS supports only NFS v2
                              > (which has a 2GB limit) with the used nfs-utils from binary.zip (or
                              > maybe it is even down to the kernel, but kernel 2.4.17 support NFS v3
                              > usually). Perhaps we could use other compiled binaries to enable NFS
                              > v3. Maybe the yellowdog files mentioned in message #57 support NFS3 ?
                              > There seems to be a possibility to extend the file size limit to 4GB
                              > with NFS2 (using "unsigned 32 bit offsets") but I couldn't find out
                              > how and where it is done!?
                              > Other thing: If you change recording settings in Neutrino to 0 MB then
                              > the streaming files won't be split up.
                              >
                              > Any help welcome...
                              >
                              > Greets,
                              > Velomisto

                              Hello Velomisto,

                              You will most likely have to compile NFS v.3 yourself. IIRC kernel
                              support is not needed for the daemon side, only client side. If you
                              get the binary.zip package from the kurobox.com site you should have
                              all the necessary tools required to compile things for yourself. I
                              have compiled sendmail, pine, and various other things for the LS
                              using the tools in that package.

                              Tim
                            • velomisto
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 9, 2005
                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "timid1200"
                                <timid1200@y...> wrote:

                                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                                > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "skarabaeus33"
                                > > <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                                > movieplayer from
                                > button,
                                > (but I'd
                                Still I
                                > > appreciated...

                                > > > Hi,
                                > > > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                                > > > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can
                                handle
                                > > > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in
                                your
                                > > > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                                > > >
                                > > > regards
                                > > > Skarabaeus
                                > >
                                > > Hi Skarabaeus,
                                > >
                                > > thanks for your support. You're right, the file system of the LS isn't
                                > > the problem. I found the problem is that the LS supports only NFS v2
                                > > (which has a 2GB limit) with the used nfs-utils from binary.zip (or
                                > > maybe it is even down to the kernel, but kernel 2.4.17 support NFS v3
                                > > usually). Perhaps we could use other compiled binaries to enable NFS
                                > > v3. Maybe the yellowdog files mentioned in message #57 support NFS3 ?
                                > > There seems to be a possibility to extend the file size limit to 4GB
                                > > with NFS2 (using "unsigned 32 bit offsets") but I couldn't find out
                                > > how and where it is done!?
                                > > Other thing: If you change recording settings in Neutrino to 0 MB then
                                > > the streaming files won't be split up.
                                > >
                                > > Any help welcome...
                                > >
                                > > Greets,
                                > > Velomisto
                                >
                                > Hello Velomisto,
                                >
                                > You will most likely have to compile NFS v.3 yourself. IIRC kernel
                                > support is not needed for the daemon side, only client side. If you
                                > get the binary.zip package from the kurobox.com site you should have
                                > all the necessary tools required to compile things for yourself. I
                                > have compiled sendmail, pine, and various other things for the LS
                                > using the tools in that package.
                                >
                                > Tim

                                Hi Tim,

                                thanks for your hints but what did you mean with "IIRC kernel support" ?
                                I can't get the thing if NFS3 support is lacking in the kernel or only
                                in the NFS-utils (i.e. rpc.mountd)? Of course I could compile new
                                binaries but with my linux skills I'd try that maybe in half a year...
                                by the way I'd need a cross compiler or compile it directly on the LS
                                but both seems to risky for myself. So, I'm thinking about trying nfs
                                binaries from the current Debian packages for PPC (nfs-common and
                                nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server). I'm hoping that these work on
                                the LS too as the binaries from the Kuro binary.zip were also based on
                                Debian packages and will hopefully bring NFS3 support to the LS.
                                Anybody thinking that this couldn't work?

                                Any help appreciated....

                                Greetings,
                                VeloMisto
                              • velomisto
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 9, 2005
                                  > > Hello Velomisto,
                                  > >
                                  > > You will most likely have to compile NFS v.3 yourself. IIRC kernel
                                  > > support is not needed for the daemon side, only client side. If you
                                  > > get the binary.zip package from the kurobox.com site you should have
                                  > > all the necessary tools required to compile things for yourself. I
                                  > > have compiled sendmail, pine, and various other things for the LS
                                  > > using the tools in that package.
                                  > >
                                  > > Tim
                                  >
                                  > Hi Tim,
                                  >
                                  > thanks for your hints but what did you mean with "IIRC kernel support" ?
                                  > I can't get the thing if NFS3 support is lacking in the kernel or only
                                  > in the NFS-utils (i.e. rpc.mountd)? Of course I could compile new
                                  > binaries but with my linux skills I'd try that maybe in half a year...
                                  > by the way I'd need a cross compiler or compile it directly on the LS
                                  > but both seems to risky for myself. So, I'm thinking about trying nfs
                                  > binaries from the current Debian packages for PPC (nfs-common and
                                  > nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server). I'm hoping that these work on
                                  > the LS too as the binaries from the Kuro binary.zip were also based on
                                  > Debian packages and will hopefully bring NFS3 support to the LS.
                                  > Anybody thinking that this couldn't work?
                                  >
                                  > Any help appreciated....
                                  >
                                  > Greetings,
                                  > VeloMisto

                                  Hi folks,

                                  I gave my thoughts a try and installed portmap and nfs binaries from
                                  Debian packages instead of the Kuro binary package. And what is the
                                  result:
                                  NFS3 (or NFS v3) is working now on my LinkStation! There's no 2GB file
                                  size limit any more!
                                  For your information, I took binaries and scripts out of following
                                  Debian packages:
                                  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/portmap/portmap_5-2_powerpc.deb
                                  http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/n/nfs-utils/nfs-common_1.0-2woody3_powerpc.deb
                                  http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/n/nfs-utils/nfs-kernel-server_1.0-2woody3_powerpc.deb

                                  Pay attention to edit the script /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server. Remove
                                  there the argument "--no-nfs-version 3" from the variable $RPCMOUNTDOPTS.

                                  Greetings,
                                  VeloMisto

                                  P.S.: I'll post an updated NFS-install-howto in few days. For now it's
                                  enough that I spent the whole weekend hacking my LS.
                                • born_daniel
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 11, 2005
                                    <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

                                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
                                    > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
                                    > > You have to pay attention: Neutrino can playback with movieplayer
                                    from
                                    > > many file systems (also mounted CIFS-shares), but AFAIK the
                                    > > function "direct recording" (see Neutrino recording settings), by
                                    > > which you can record with one press on the red remote control
                                    button,
                                    > > works only with mounted NFS-shares. But I have to say that I never
                                    > > tried the Yadi images so maybe they contain new functionality
                                    (but I'd
                                    > > be surprised).
                                    > > I'll write a short howto as soon as possible and post here. Still
                                    > > want to break the 2GB file size limit somehow. Any hints
                                    appreciated...

                                    > > Greets,
                                    > > VeloMisto
                                    >
                                    > Hi,
                                    > I have copyed now a .mpg file with more than 2,7 GB from a windows
                                    > folder to my LS and it works. So we can be sure that the LS can
                                    handle
                                    > more than 2 GB. Just in case, what max. file size do you have in
                                    your
                                    > Neutrino recording settings? Standard setting ist approx 2000 MB.
                                    >
                                    > regards
                                    > Skarabaeus

                                    I've copied 30GB-sized files (uncompressed digital video) without
                                    any problems from my XP machine through the standard Samba interface,
                                    so your problem is definitely not related to the ext3 file system.

                                    Good luck in finding the solution,
                                    Daniel
                                  • skarabaeus33
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 11, 2005
                                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                                      <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

                                      > I've copied 30GB-sized files (uncompressed digital video) without
                                      > any problems from my XP machine through the standard Samba interface,
                                      > so your problem is definitely not related to the ext3 file system.
                                      >
                                      > Good luck in finding the solution,
                                      > Daniel

                                      @born_daniel

                                      Hi,

                                      He has already found a solution, please refer to message #925

                                      regards
                                      Skarabaeus
                                    • born_daniel
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 12, 2005
                                        <skarabaeus33@y...> wrote:

                                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                                        > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I've copied 30GB-sized files (uncompressed digital video)
                                        without
                                        > > any problems from my XP machine through the standard Samba
                                        interface,
                                        > > so your problem is definitely not related to the ext3 file system.
                                        > >
                                        > > Good luck in finding the solution,
                                        > > Daniel
                                        >
                                        > @born_daniel
                                        >
                                        > Hi,
                                        >
                                        > He has already found a solution, please refer to message #925
                                        >
                                        > regards
                                        > Skarabaeus

                                        Yeah, I know... I only found out after sending my message. That's
                                        what you get for responding to posts that are a few days old without
                                        going through the whole thread first... ;-)

                                        Thanks,
                                        Daniel