Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Info on bootloader/kernel image storage

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2004
      --- Rick Flower <rickf@...> wrote:
      > It would be great to be able to rebuild the kernel
      > and load it into Flash with more optimizations than
      > it currently has (like removing the kprint() calls
      > in the USB area for starters)

      I would also like to be able to add hardware support
      for just about anything you might want to plug into
      the USB port like modems, USB-wireless transcievers,
      more printers, scanners, cameras, more USB storage
      devices (like my Archos Jukebox that uses the ISD200
      driver), RS232 adapters, maybe even a keyboard, mouse,
      and video combination.

      =====
      Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

      Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

      http://vote.yahoo.com
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 12, 2004
        > > It would be great to be able to rebuild the kernel
        > > and load it into Flash with more optimizations than
        > > it currently has (like removing the kprint() calls
        > > in the USB area for starters)
        >
        > I would also like to be able to add hardware support
        > for just about anything you might want to plug into
        > the USB port like modems, USB-wireless transcievers,
        > more printers, scanners, cameras, more USB storage
        > devices (like my Archos Jukebox that uses the ISD200
        > driver), RS232 adapters, maybe even a keyboard, mouse,
        > and video combination.

        Check out the add modules and readme files in
        ftp://linkstation.yi.org/pub/linkstation/ for more USB devices.
        JR
      • dtaub001
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 12, 2004
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Flower" <rickf@c...>
          wrote:
          > dtaub001 said:
          > >

          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>
          > > wrote:
          > >>

          > >> There seems to be an 8MB flash divided up into sections. Once in
          > >> linux, these can be accessed via /dev/fl[0-5]:
          > >>
          > >> root@HD-HLANA09:/tmp# ls -l /dev/fl*
          > >> brw-rw-r-- 1 root root 250, Nov 28 2002 /dev/fl0
          > >> brw-rw-r-- 1 root root 250, 1 Nov 28 2002 /dev/fl1
          > >> brw-rw-r-- 1 root root 250, 2 Nov 28 2002 /dev/fl2
          > >> brw-rw-r-- 1 root root 250, 3 Nov 28 2002 /dev/fl3
          > >> brw-rw-r-- 1 root root 250, 4 Nov 28 2002 /dev/fl4
          > >> brw-rw-r-- 1 root root 250, 5 Nov 28 2002 /dev/fl5
          > >>
          > >> The contents can be extracted with cat:
          > >>
          > >> root@HD-HLANA09:/tmp# ls -l fl*
          > >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 524288 Oct 11 17:50 fl0
          > >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3145728 Oct 11 17:50 fl1
          > >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 458752 Oct 11 17:50 fl2
          > >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 65536 Oct 11 17:50 fl3
          > >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4194304 Oct 11 17:50 fl4
          > >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root Oct 11 17:50 fl5
          > >>
          > >> /dev/fl0 appears to be for temporary file storage, and can be
          accessed
          > >> with the as_flash command:
          > >>
          > >> root@HD-HLANA09:/tmp# as_flash /dev/fl0 list
          > >> -> /tmp/conf_save.tar.gz
          > >>
          > >> /dev/fl1 and /dev/fl4 both appear to contain vmlinux images, but I
          > >> can't quite work out the format.
          > >
          > > These are gzip-ed kernel images with a 108 byte header of some kind.
          > > Try the following:
          > >
          > > dd ibs=1 count=108 if=fl1 | od -c
          > > dd ibs=1 skip=108 if=fl1 > vmlinux.gz
          > > gunzip -t vmlinux.gz
          >
          > I believe the extra 108 bytes of header is setup by the set_sum tool
          that
          > can be found on one of the japanese sites
          > (ftp://linkstation.yi.org/pub/linkstation/tools), along with the entire
          > kernel with config file, etc. It's in the parent directory of the
          site I
          > mentioned above. It would be great to be able to rebuild the kernel and
          > load it into Flash with more optimizations than it currently has (like
          > removing the kprint() calls in the USB area for starters)

          Right you are!

          root@HD-HLANA09:/usr/src/linux-2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint#
          arch/ppc/boot/utils/setsum/chkheader /dev/fl1
          info_ver: 0x00000001
          firmid: 0x00000003
          firmname: HD-HLAN(HIDETADA)
          subver: FLASH 1.1
          version: major 0x0001 minor 0x0005
          build: 0x0000
          year/mon/day: 2004/05/21
          hour:min:sec: 13:41:00
          size: 2879996 (0x002bf1fc) bytes
          chksum: 0x2743c310
          kernel_offset: 108 (0x0000006c) bytes
          kernel_size: 838590 (0x000ccbbe) bytes
          initrd_offset: 838698 (0x000ccc2a) bytes
          initrd_size: 2041298 (0x001f25d2) bytes

          # dd ibs=1 skip=108 count=838590 if=fl1 > vmlinux.gz
          # dd ibs=1 skip=838698 count=2041298 if=fl1 > loopfile.gz

          BTW, that loopfile.gz is needed to build a new kernel (cp to
          arch/ppc/boot/images/images/ramdisk.image.gz).

          I downloaded the kernel/config from the linkstation.yi.org website,
          and I've managed to build a firmimg.bin using the kurobox (native)
          tools and a few bins from yellowdog. It should just be a simple
          matter of dd-ing that file to /dev/fl1 and rebooting, but I'm not that
          brave yet...

          I'll post a howto after I clean it up a bit.

          Derek

          > >> According to some of the JP sites (do a google for as_flash and run
          > >> the pages thru altavista's babel fish), /dev/fl2 is the main
          > >> BIOS/bootloader, and /dev/fl3 is for storing boot progress info.
          > >
          > > /dev/fl3 appears to be modified by the following utils:
          > >
          > > /usr/bin/write_ng
          > > /usr/bin/write_ok
          >
          > Interesting..
          >
          > -- Rick
        • nrkkflower
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 13, 2004
            wrote:

            > I downloaded the kernel/config from the linkstation.yi.org website,
            > and I've managed to build a firmimg.bin using the kurobox (native)
            > tools and a few bins from yellowdog. It should just be a simple
            > matter of dd-ing that file to /dev/fl1 and rebooting, but I'm not
            that
            > brave yet...
            >
            > I'll post a howto after I clean it up a bit.

            Derek,

            I've beat you to the punch.. I've already re-genned my kernel last
            night and have somewhat documented it over on the Revogear forums. I
            took a leap of faith that I wouldn't goof up the box and it worked
            fine.. However I'm not 100% sure I'm using the complete updated kernel
            since I modified the uname string from "sandpoint" to
            "sandpoint-osxaddict" and after re-genning the kernel and re-flashing
            it, it still says "sandpoint" as in the following :

            % uname -a
            Linux HD120 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #8 Tue Oct 12 23:23:24 PDT 2004 ppc
            unknown

            It looks like you found the showflash.pl script that was on one of the
            japanese sites.. That really took a lot of the guesswork out of the
            steps.

            Just make sure you update both fl1 and fl2.. I put bootcode.bin in fl2
            and firmimg.bin into fl1.

            -- Rick
          • Derek Taubert
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 13, 2004
              On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:17:08PM -0000, nrkkflower wrote:
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > I downloaded the kernel/config from the linkstation.yi.org website,
              > > and I've managed to build a firmimg.bin using the kurobox (native)
              > > tools and a few bins from yellowdog. It should just be a simple
              > > matter of dd-ing that file to /dev/fl1 and rebooting, but I'm not
              > that
              > > brave yet...
              > >
              > > I'll post a howto after I clean it up a bit.
              >
              > Derek,
              >
              > I've beat you to the punch.. I've already re-genned my kernel last
              > night and have somewhat documented it over on the Revogear forums. I

              That's cool. I'm so dependent on my NAS now that I wasn't really willing
              to turn it into a doorstop...

              > took a leap of faith that I wouldn't goof up the box and it worked
              > fine.. However I'm not 100% sure I'm using the complete updated kernel
              > since I modified the uname string from "sandpoint" to
              > "sandpoint-osxaddict" and after re-genning the kernel and re-flashing
              > it, it still says "sandpoint" as in the following :
              >
              > % uname -a
              > Linux HD120 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #8 Tue Oct 12 23:23:24 PDT 2004 ppc
              > unknown

              Does your box have anything in /dev/fl4? It is a bigger flash space on
              mine, but has an identical kernel/initrd stored there.

              The compile date is certainly different, so it looks like you're running
              a new kernel. Have a look at the following:

              *** /proc/asconf_info ***
              PRODUCTNAME=HD-HLAN(HIDETADA)
              VERSION=1.05
              SUBVERSION=FLASH 1.1
              PRODUCTID=0x00000003
              BUILDDATE=2004/5/21 13:41:0
              BOOTFLAG=OK

              *** /proc/devices ***
              Character devices:
              1 mem
              2 pty
              3 ttyp
              4 ttyS
              5 cua
              10 misc
              21 sg
              128 ptm
              136 pts
              162 raw
              180 usb

              Block devices:
              1 ramdisk
              3 ide0
              7 loop
              8 sd
              65 sd
              66 sd
              250 flashd

              *** /proc/filesystems ***
              nodev rootfs
              nodev bdev
              nodev proc
              nodev sockfs
              nodev tmpfs
              nodev shm
              nodev pipefs
              ext3
              ext2
              nodev ramfs
              vfat
              nodev smbfs
              nodev autofs
              nodev devpts
              nodev usbdevfs
              nodev usbfs
              ntfs

              If you install /usr/bin/whoami before the build, that should show up in
              the uname -a as well.

              > It looks like you found the showflash.pl script that was on one of the
              > japanese sites.. That really took a lot of the guesswork out of the
              > steps.

              Actually, I used the chkheader binary from the setsum directory. It
              verifies the checksum in addition to dumping out the header.

              > Just make sure you update both fl1 and fl2.. I put bootcode.bin in fl2
              > and firmimg.bin into fl1.

              Is the update to fl2 really necessary? Any idea how different the code is
              from the Buffalo distribution?

              Do you have any clues about what the write_ng/write_ok bins do to the boot
              process?

              Derek

              > -- Rick
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • nrkkflower
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 13, 2004
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert <taubert@g..
                .> wrote:

                > Does your box have anything in /dev/fl4? It is a bigger flash space
                on
                > mine, but has an identical kernel/initrd stored there.

                Mine is definately different -- completely different sizes.. The stuff
                in /dev/fl1 is ~1Mb smaller in size.

                > The compile date is certainly different, so it looks like you're
                running
                > a new kernel. Have a look at the following:
                >
                > *** /proc/asconf_info ***
                > PRODUCTNAME=HD-HLAN(HIDETADA)
                > VERSION=1.05
                > SUBVERSION=FLASH 1.1
                > PRODUCTID=0x00000003
                > BUILDDATE=2004/5/21 13:41:0
                > BOOTFLAG=OK

                Here's the output from mine :

                PRODUCTNAME=HD-HLAN(HIDETADA)
                VERSION=1.04
                SUBVERSION=FLASH 1.2
                PRODUCTID=0x00000003
                BUILDDATE=2004/10/12 23:25:48
                BOOTFLAG=OK

                > *** /proc/devices ***
                > Character devices:
                > 1 mem
                > 2 pty
                > 3 ttyp
                > 4 ttyS
                > 5 cua
                > 10 misc
                > 21 sg
                > 128 ptm
                > 136 pts
                > 162 raw
                > 180 usb
                >
                > Block devices:
                > 1 ramdisk
                > 3 ide0
                > 7 loop
                > 8 sd
                > 65 sd
                > 66 sd
                > 250 flashd

                Here's my output :

                Character devices:
                1 mem
                2 pty
                3 ttyp
                4 ttyS
                5 cua
                10 misc
                128 ptm
                136 pts
                162 raw
                180 usb

                Block devices:
                1 ramdisk
                3 ide0
                250 flashd

                > *** /proc/filesystems ***
                > nodev rootfs
                > nodev bdev
                > nodev proc
                > nodev sockfs
                > nodev tmpfs
                > nodev shm
                > nodev pipefs
                > ext3
                > ext2
                > nodev ramfs
                > vfat
                > nodev smbfs
                > nodev autofs
                > nodev devpts
                > nodev usbdevfs
                > nodev usbfs
                > ntfs

                And finally here's my output on this one :

                nodev rootfs
                nodev bdev
                nodev proc
                nodev sockfs
                nodev tmpfs
                nodev shm
                nodev pipefs
                nodev binfmt_misc
                ext3
                ext2
                msdos
                vfat
                nodev smbfs
                ntfs
                nodev devpts
                nodev usbdevfs
                nodev usbfs

                > Is the update to fl2 really necessary? Any idea how different the
                code is
                > from the Buffalo distribution?

                I don't know.. I read something that roughly indicated that on one of
                the translated sites.. I just did it to be sure..

                > Do you have any clues about what the write_ng/write_ok bins do to
                the boot
                > process?

                Nope.. I'm not too sure when they take place in the boot process.
              • tad94564
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 20, 2004
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "nrkkflower" <rickf@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > I've beat you to the punch.. I've already re-genned my kernel last
                  > night and have somewhat documented it over on the Revogear forums.
                  > took a leap of faith that I wouldn't goof up the box and it worked
                  > fine.. However I'm not 100% sure I'm using the complete updated
                  kernel
                  > since I modified the uname string from "sandpoint" to
                  > "sandpoint-osxaddict" and after re-genning the kernel and
                  re-flashing
                  > it, it still says "sandpoint" as in the following :

                  FYI, kernel names are limited in length, and you probably overran it.

                  thomas
                • Rick Flower
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 20, 2004
                    Actually, the problem stemmed from the fact that the Makefile doesn't
                    bother to re-generate those
                    various header files if they already exist.. In my case, the original
                    ones existed first and it just didn't
                    bother to re-gen them.. Once I removed the offending header files, the
                    Makefile re-gened the offending
                    files and now my kernel version looks like the following :

                    HD120:~ [401]> uname -a
                    Linux HD120 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint-osxaddict #16 Thu Oct 14 21:53:09
                    PDT 2004 ppc unknown

                    -- Rick

                    On Oct 20, 2004, at 9:14 PM, tad94564 wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "nrkkflower" <rickf@c...>
                    > wrote:
                    >> I've beat you to the punch.. I've already re-genned my kernel last
                    >> night and have somewhat documented it over on the Revogear forums.
                    >> took a leap of faith that I wouldn't goof up the box and it worked
                    >> fine.. However I'm not 100% sure I'm using the complete updated
                    > kernel
                    >> since I modified the uname string from "sandpoint" to
                    >> "sandpoint-osxaddict" and after re-genning the kernel and
                    > re-flashing
                    >> it, it still says "sandpoint" as in the following :
                    >>

                    > FYI, kernel names are limited in length, and you probably overran it.
                    >
                    > thomas
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • tad94564
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 21, 2004
                      wrote:
                      > Actually, the problem stemmed from the fact that the Makefile
                      doesn't
                      > bother to re-generate those
                      > various header files if they already exist.. In my case, the
                      original
                      > ones existed first and it just didn't
                      > bother to re-gen them.. Once I removed the offending header files,
                      the
                      > Makefile re-gened the offending
                      > files and now my kernel version looks like the following :
                      >
                      > HD120:~ [401]> uname -a
                      > Linux HD120 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint-osxaddict #16 Thu Oct 14
                      21:53:09
                      > PDT 2004 ppc unknown

                      Then they fixed what used to bite me in the past. :)

                      thanks!
                      thomas