Re: [LinkStation_General] Backup Software - PC to LinkStation

  • David Walters
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
      On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:52:58AM -0000, bubba wrote:
      > I'd like to use software (on my PC or LinkStation) to synchronise the
      > contents of my LinkStation with a hard drive on my PC, ideally on a weekly
      > basis. Does anyone know of any software that I can use to achieve this?

      I do this using rsync running on my PC under cygwin.

      David
    • Internet Subscriptions
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
        Bub,

        If you want a quick and dirty way of backing up your PC (and you are running
        Windows) to your Linkstation, you can use the Windows' built-in "xcopy"
        command -- that's what I do.

        The format I use is:

        xcopy "[full path name to folder/file that you want to backup]"
        "[folder/file on Linkstation]" /D /E /V /Y

        Good luck,

        Matthew

        I'd like to use software (on my PC or LinkStation) to synchronise the
        contents of my LinkStation with a hard drive on my PC, ideally on a weekly
        basis. Does anyone know of any software that I can use to achieve this?

        bub

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Steve Lemke
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
          David wrote:
          > On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:52:58AM -0000, bubba wrote:
          >> I'd like to use software (on my PC or LinkStation) to synchronise the
          >> contents of my LinkStation with a hard drive on my PC, ideally on a
          >> weekly
          >> basis. Does anyone know of any software that I can use to achieve
          >> this?
          >
          > I do this using rsync running on my PC under cygwin.

          I use FileSync to keep ~35GB of mp3 files in sync between my PC and the
          LinkStation. It's a great program with a GUI rather than command-line
          interface that shows you exactly what's going to happen before you hit
          "go". <http://www.fileware.com/>
        • sneed_siding
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
            I use HandyBackup from www.handybackup.com.
            It is very versatile in the types of backups/syncs
            it can do (for example zip archives, dated copies,
            encryption, backup to ftp). HB also has a well-done
            GUI and backup tasks can be scheduled. In addition,
            it is easy to invoke defined backups using a command-
            line interface.
          • bubba
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
              Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll try a few different methods out to
              see what works best, but from first glance, it seems Handy Backup might just
              do the trick.