Backup Software - PC to LinkStation

  • bubba
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005

      I'd like to use software (on my PC or LinkStation) to synchronise the
      contents of my LinkStation with a hard drive on my PC, ideally on a weekly
      basis. Does anyone know of any software that I can use to achieve this?

      bub
    • David Walters
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
        On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:52:58AM -0000, bubba wrote:
        > I'd like to use software (on my PC or LinkStation) to synchronise the
        > contents of my LinkStation with a hard drive on my PC, ideally on a weekly
        > basis. Does anyone know of any software that I can use to achieve this?

        I do this using rsync running on my PC under cygwin.

        David
      • Internet Subscriptions
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
          Bub,

          If you want a quick and dirty way of backing up your PC (and you are running
          Windows) to your Linkstation, you can use the Windows' built-in "xcopy"
          command -- that's what I do.

          The format I use is:

          xcopy "[full path name to folder/file that you want to backup]"
          "[folder/file on Linkstation]" /D /E /V /Y

          Good luck,

          Matthew

          I'd like to use software (on my PC or LinkStation) to synchronise the
          contents of my LinkStation with a hard drive on my PC, ideally on a weekly
          basis. Does anyone know of any software that I can use to achieve this?

          bub

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Steve Lemke
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
            David wrote:
            > On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:52:58AM -0000, bubba wrote:
            >> I'd like to use software (on my PC or LinkStation) to synchronise the
            >> contents of my LinkStation with a hard drive on my PC, ideally on a
            >> weekly
            >> basis. Does anyone know of any software that I can use to achieve
            >> this?
            >
            > I do this using rsync running on my PC under cygwin.

            I use FileSync to keep ~35GB of mp3 files in sync between my PC and the
            LinkStation. It's a great program with a GUI rather than command-line
            interface that shows you exactly what's going to happen before you hit
            "go". <http://www.fileware.com/>
          • sneed_siding
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
              I use HandyBackup from www.handybackup.com.
              It is very versatile in the types of backups/syncs
              it can do (for example zip archives, dated copies,
              encryption, backup to ftp). HB also has a well-done
              GUI and backup tasks can be scheduled. In addition,
              it is easy to invoke defined backups using a command-
              line interface.
            • bubba
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2005
                Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll try a few different methods out to
                see what works best, but from first glance, it seems Handy Backup might just
                do the trick.