Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • whoisnader
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
      I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
      tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
      shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
      work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

      Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
      in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
      with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
      processes runing.

      I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

      > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
      > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
      >
      > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
      > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
      > cd /usr/sbin/
      > mv smbd smbd.orignal
      > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
      > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
      >
      > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
      > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
      > services.
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
      > <strat321@c...> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
      > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
      > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
      > table
      > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
      Specifically
      > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
      > >
      > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
      > LS
      > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
      > few
      > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
      the
      > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
      > >
      > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
      > > needed unicode running at this point.
      > >
      > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
      > and
      > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
      > > > detail for me.
      > > >
      > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
      > form
      > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
      > over
      > > > the original samba?
    • stratmoens
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 5, 2005
        The version posted here is not modified to put the pid file in the
        correct location.

        <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

        > I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
        > tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
        > shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
        > work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.
        >
        > Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
        > in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
        > with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
        > processes runing.
        >
        > I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
        > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
        > >
        > > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
        > > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am
        doing:

        > > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
        > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        > > cd /usr/sbin/
        > > mv smbd smbd.orignal
        > > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
        > > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
        > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
        > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
        > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
        > >
        > > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode
        filenames.
        > > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
        > > services.
        > >

        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
        > > <strat321@c...> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
        > > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
        > > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created
        > > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
        > > table
        > > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
        > Specifically
        > > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
        > > >
        > > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that
        the
        > > LS
        > > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify
        > > few
        > > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
        > the
        > > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
        > > >
        > > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I
        just
        > > > needed unicode running at this point.

        > > and

        > > form
        > > over
      • stratmoens
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 6, 2005
          Binary version of smbd and nmbd uploaded to the Files area.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 7, 2005
            Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
            saved me the hassle.

            Appreciated it.

            PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
            Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 8, 2005
              I built samba on the Linkstation using the Kurobox binaries.

              <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

              > Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
              > saved me the hassle.
              >
              > Appreciated it.
              >
              > PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
              > Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?
            • chano22000
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                Considering previous discussions how to install Samba 3.0.9, do I
                have anything else to do than just replacing the smbd and nmbd files
                with the ones you provide in order to have Samba 3.0.10 running on
                the LinkStation ?

                Thanks for your contribution and answer.
              • stratmoens
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                  The postings in the file section all assume the executables reside
                  in /usr/local. Thus a different build might be required to just
                  replace the LS's files.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"