Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • whoisnader
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
      There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
      bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:

      ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
      ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
      cd /usr/sbin/
      mv smbd smbd.orignal
      mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
      mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd

      I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
      Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
      services.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
      <strat321@c...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
      >
      > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
      > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
      > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
      table
      > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
      > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
      >
      > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
      LS
      > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
      few
      > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
      > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
      >
      > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
      > needed unicode running at this point.
      >
      > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
      and
      > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
      > > detail for me.
      > >
      > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
      form
      > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
      over
      > > the original samba?
    • whoisnader
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
        I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
        tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
        shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
        work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

        Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
        in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
        with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
        processes runing.

        I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

        <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

        > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
        > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
        >
        > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
        > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        > cd /usr/sbin/
        > mv smbd smbd.orignal
        > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
        > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
        > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
        > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
        > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
        >
        > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
        > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
        > services.
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
        > <strat321@c...> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
        > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
        > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
        > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
        > table
        > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
        Specifically
        > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
        > >
        > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
        > LS
        > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
        > few
        > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
        the
        > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
        > >
        > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
        > > needed unicode running at this point.
        > >
        > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
        > and
        > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
        > > > detail for me.
        > > >
        > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
        > form
        > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
        > over
        > > > the original samba?
      • stratmoens
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 5, 2005
          The version posted here is not modified to put the pid file in the
          correct location.

          <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

          > I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
          > tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
          > shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
          > work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.
          >
          > Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
          > in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
          > with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
          > processes runing.
          >
          > I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
          > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
          > > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am
          doing:

          > > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
          > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
          > > cd /usr/sbin/
          > > mv smbd smbd.orignal
          > > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
          > > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
          > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
          > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
          > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
          > >
          > > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode
          filenames.
          > > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
          > > services.
          > >

          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
          > > <strat321@c...> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
          > > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
          > > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created
          > > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
          > > table
          > > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
          > Specifically
          > > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
          > > >
          > > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that
          the
          > > LS
          > > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify
          > > few
          > > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
          > the
          > > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
          > > >
          > > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I
          just
          > > > needed unicode running at this point.

          > > and

          > > form
          > > over
        • stratmoens
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 6, 2005
            Binary version of smbd and nmbd uploaded to the Files area.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2005
              Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
              saved me the hassle.

              Appreciated it.

              PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
              Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 8, 2005
                I built samba on the Linkstation using the Kurobox binaries.

                <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                > Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                > saved me the hassle.
                >
                > Appreciated it.
                >
                > PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                > Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?
              • chano22000
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                  Considering previous discussions how to install Samba 3.0.9, do I
                  have anything else to do than just replacing the smbd and nmbd files
                  with the ones you provide in order to have Samba 3.0.10 running on
                  the LinkStation ?

                  Thanks for your contribution and answer.
                • stratmoens
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                    The postings in the file section all assume the executables reside
                    in /usr/local. Thus a different build might be required to just
                    replace the LS's files.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"