Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • stratmoens
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

      Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
      say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
      link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process table
      the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
      the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.

      The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the LS
      employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a few
      more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
      new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.

      Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
      needed unicode running at this point.

      > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
      > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
      > detail for me.
      >
      > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
      > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
      > the original samba?
    • Wilson
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
        Keep in mind that the samba 3.0.9 binaries are
        compiled before we investigate many dependencies with
        the LS system files.. Feel free to compile a new one
        and replace the files in the files section.

        Wilson

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
          In "Windows" terms, we are making "shortcuts" to
          everyplace where a file is expected to be but isn't.
          These "shortcuts" or "links" are commonly used in
          Unix-like operating systems because unlike Windows
          "shortcuts" they are well integrated into the file
          system and work very well.

          --- stratmoens <strat321@...> wrote:

          > "whoisnader"
          > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
          >
          > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the
          > new smbd in
          > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd
          > and created a
          > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in
          > the process table
          > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are
          > expect. Specifically
          > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
          >
          > The default samba configuration isn't for the
          > locations that the LS
          > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need
          > to modify a few
          > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I
          > wanted to get the
          > new samba running with as little changes to the LS
          > as possible.
          >
          > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box,
          > but I just
          > needed unicode running at this point.
          >
          > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of
          > the older smbd and
          > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a
          > little more
          > > detail for me.
          > >
          > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have
          > my respect form
          > > your contribution to this group) about just
          > copying the files over
          > > the original samba?

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • whoisnader
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
            There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
            bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:

            ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
            ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
            cd /usr/sbin/
            mv smbd smbd.orignal
            mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
            mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
            ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
            ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
            ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd

            I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
            Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
            services.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
            <strat321@c...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
            > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
            >
            > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
            > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
            > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
            table
            > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
            > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
            >
            > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
            LS
            > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
            few
            > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
            > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
            >
            > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
            > needed unicode running at this point.
            >
            > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
            and
            > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
            > > detail for me.
            > >
            > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
            form
            > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
            over
            > > the original samba?
          • whoisnader
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
              I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
              tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
              shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
              work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

              Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
              in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
              with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
              processes runing.

              I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

              <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

              > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
              > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
              >
              > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
              > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
              > cd /usr/sbin/
              > mv smbd smbd.orignal
              > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
              > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
              > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
              > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
              > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
              >
              > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
              > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
              > services.
              >

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
              > <strat321@c...> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
              > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
              > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
              > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
              > table
              > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
              Specifically
              > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
              > >
              > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
              > LS
              > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
              > few
              > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
              the
              > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
              > >
              > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
              > > needed unicode running at this point.
              > >
              > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
              > and
              > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
              > > > detail for me.
              > > >
              > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
              > form
              > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
              > over
              > > > the original samba?
            • stratmoens
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 5, 2005
                The version posted here is not modified to put the pid file in the
                correct location.

                <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                > I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                > tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                > shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                > work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.
                >
                > Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                > in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                > with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                > processes runing.
                >
                > I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?
                >

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                > > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am
                doing:

                > > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                > > cd /usr/sbin/
                > > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                > > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                > > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                > >
                > > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode
                filenames.
                > > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                > > services.
                > >

                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                > > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                > > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                > > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created
                > > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                > > table
                > > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                > Specifically
                > > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                > > >
                > > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that
                the
                > > LS
                > > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify
                > > few
                > > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                > the
                > > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                > > >
                > > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I
                just
                > > > needed unicode running at this point.

                > > and

                > > form
                > > over
              • stratmoens
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Binary version of smbd and nmbd uploaded to the Files area.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 7, 2005
                    Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                    saved me the hassle.

                    Appreciated it.

                    PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                    Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 8, 2005
                      I built samba on the Linkstation using the Kurobox binaries.

                      <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                      > Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                      > saved me the hassle.
                      >
                      > Appreciated it.
                      >
                      > PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                      > Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?
                    • chano22000
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                        Considering previous discussions how to install Samba 3.0.9, do I
                        have anything else to do than just replacing the smbd and nmbd files
                        with the ones you provide in order to have Samba 3.0.10 running on
                        the LinkStation ?

                        Thanks for your contribution and answer.
                      • stratmoens
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                          The postings in the file section all assume the executables reside
                          in /usr/local. Thus a different build might be required to just
                          replace the LS's files.

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"