Re: Debian on LS - how to quickly switch to it

  • Hans-Göran Puke
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      Thanks James,
      I have some follow-up questions below.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
      > Congratulations! Did you then "apt-get" your way up
      > to Debian Sid? (it's really worth doing).

      Hmm, I am not sure what you mean here... Are you referring to the
      "stable" vs "testing" vs "unstable" environments? I followed the
      original instructions and ended up with "stable" i e Woody. Are you
      suggesting that I should go with "testing" instead?

      > > LS boots its normal environment (based on HardHat
      > > Linux, I suppose)
      >
      > Nope, it's Monta-Vista

      Isn't it "Monta-Vista HardHat Linux"? :)

      > > If so, what commands would have to be in that file?
      >
      > To start with, all the commands you are manually
      > entering can go into a run-level script. Note that
      > jumping directly to a new run-level, you will no
      > longer start the original services in the original OS
      > (so maybe you want to have a new run level for that
      > mode too?)

      So, what lines - specifically - should go into that script? I am a bit
      confused here since the installation of Debian was broken down into
      two major parts - one that installed the environment to compile the
      bootstrap "Linux" and the other part to build the complete environment
      "Debian". In those two steps there were various "mounts" and "chroots"
      that confuses me.

      > I was also wanting to put a new entry in the original
      > Web based config to set run-level defaults, but I
      > guess you can always telnet in and change it.

      Actually chaging it from ssh would be as easy as doing it from the
      web-interface, at least for me. Ideally the box should boot into the
      chrooted Debian environment automatically and fall back to the
      MontaVista environment should Debian fail in any way.

      Looking forward to your comments and suggestions. Maybe I can try out
      your ideas until you get your box fixed?

      --
      H-G
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        --- Hans-G�ran Puke <hgpuke@...> wrote:

        > Thanks James,
        > I have some follow-up questions below.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James
        > Stewart
        > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
        > > Congratulations! Did you then "apt-get" your way
        > up
        > > to Debian Sid? (it's really worth doing).
        >
        > Hmm, I am not sure what you mean here... Are you
        > referring to the
        > "stable" vs "testing" vs "unstable" environments? I
        > followed the
        > original instructions and ended up with "stable" i e
        > Woody. Are you
        > suggesting that I should go with "testing" instead?

        Yes. Actually "Sid" is "unstable" but is close to
        "testing" at the moment. "stable" or "woody" is very
        out-of-date, and only has a smaller subset of the
        total repository of software of Debian that they
        declared "stable" for "woody". I prefer "Sid" because
        it is the most up-to-date and has the largest
        selection of software of any Linux distribution.
        About the only thing "unstable" about "Sid" is that it
        is constantly changing from one day to the next as it
        tries to keep up-to-date with current software.
        Ocassionally something won't install right but if you
        just wait and try again in a few days, the problem
        will probably be fixed.

        Anyway, just edit your /etc/apt/sources.list changing
        things to "unstable", then do an "apt-get update;
        apt-get dist-upgrade" and it should do the upgrade.

        > Isn't it "Monta-Vista HardHat Linux"? :)

        Oops your right! It used to be known by this name.

        > So, what lines - specifically - should go into that
        > script? I am a bit
        > confused here since the installation of Debian was
        > broken down into two major parts - one that
        > installed the environment to compile the
        > bootstrap "Linux" and the other part to build the
        > complete environment "Debian". In those two steps
        > there were various "mounts" and "chroots"
        > that confuses me.

        I do intend to do a formal How-to as soon as I exactly
        figure this out myself (unless at this rate, someone
        beats me to it). Basically put in everything that you
        now have to enter when you telnet in and do now that
        your Debian is installed to access your Debian system
        and start up what ever apps or services you want to
        have running under Debian. Again, I haven't figured
        all this out myself so I don't want to tell you
        anything that is wrong. If you would like to
        experiment with setting up the run-level, write some
        scripts for it and then do something like "init 5"
        from the original OS to go to run level 5 (if you set
        your Debian up on 5) and see what happens. Never
        change the default in /etc/inittab until you are sure
        you have something that works!

        > Actually chaging it from ssh would be as easy as
        > doing it from the
        > web-interface, at least for me. Ideally the box
        > should boot into the
        > chrooted Debian environment automatically and fall
        > back to the
        > MontaVista environment should Debian fail in any
        > way.

        That is what I would like mine to do too. Perhaps
        using the watchdog timer in the AMR processor would do
        this nicely.

        > Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
        > Maybe I can try out
        > your ideas until you get your box fixed?

        I'm hoping to be back up and running later this month.
        I just got real busy with things recently.

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com