Re: [LinkStation_General] Debian on LS - how to quickly switch to it

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      --- Hans-G�ran Puke <hgpuke@...> wrote:

      > Hi!
      > I have now successfully installed Debian on my LS,

      Congratulations! Did you then "apt-get" your way up
      to Debian Sid? (it's really worth doing).

      > LS boots its normal environment (based on HardHat
      > Linux, I suppose)

      Nope, it's Monta-Vista

      > ... to switch to the Debian environment [,] Is
      > there a way that I can put these steps into a file
      > and execute it by one command?

      Sure, that was going to be my next project once I
      resurrect my LS.

      > Or alternatively define a new run-level and do
      > "init 8"

      That was the way I intended. This way all the startup
      scripts of the original OS stays intact with the only
      change (other than the added run level) was to change
      the "default" line in /etc/inittab.

      > or whatever that
      > would essentially turn the box into a "Debian box"?

      > If so, what commands would have to be in that file?

      To start with, all the commands you are manually
      entering can go into a run-level script. Note that
      jumping directly to a new run-level, you will no
      longer start the original services in the original OS
      (so maybe you want to have a new run level for that
      mode too?)

      I was also wanting to put a new entry in the original
      Web based config to set run-level defaults, but I
      guess you can always telnet in and change it.

      =====
      Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

      Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Hans-Göran Puke
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        Thanks James,
        I have some follow-up questions below.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
        <wartstew@y...> wrote:
        > Congratulations! Did you then "apt-get" your way up
        > to Debian Sid? (it's really worth doing).

        Hmm, I am not sure what you mean here... Are you referring to the
        "stable" vs "testing" vs "unstable" environments? I followed the
        original instructions and ended up with "stable" i e Woody. Are you
        suggesting that I should go with "testing" instead?

        > > LS boots its normal environment (based on HardHat
        > > Linux, I suppose)
        >
        > Nope, it's Monta-Vista

        Isn't it "Monta-Vista HardHat Linux"? :)

        > > If so, what commands would have to be in that file?
        >
        > To start with, all the commands you are manually
        > entering can go into a run-level script. Note that
        > jumping directly to a new run-level, you will no
        > longer start the original services in the original OS
        > (so maybe you want to have a new run level for that
        > mode too?)

        So, what lines - specifically - should go into that script? I am a bit
        confused here since the installation of Debian was broken down into
        two major parts - one that installed the environment to compile the
        bootstrap "Linux" and the other part to build the complete environment
        "Debian". In those two steps there were various "mounts" and "chroots"
        that confuses me.

        > I was also wanting to put a new entry in the original
        > Web based config to set run-level defaults, but I
        > guess you can always telnet in and change it.

        Actually chaging it from ssh would be as easy as doing it from the
        web-interface, at least for me. Ideally the box should boot into the
        chrooted Debian environment automatically and fall back to the
        MontaVista environment should Debian fail in any way.

        Looking forward to your comments and suggestions. Maybe I can try out
        your ideas until you get your box fixed?

        --
        H-G
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
          --- Hans-G�ran Puke <hgpuke@...> wrote:

          > Thanks James,
          > I have some follow-up questions below.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James
          > Stewart
          > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
          > > Congratulations! Did you then "apt-get" your way
          > up
          > > to Debian Sid? (it's really worth doing).
          >
          > Hmm, I am not sure what you mean here... Are you
          > referring to the
          > "stable" vs "testing" vs "unstable" environments? I
          > followed the
          > original instructions and ended up with "stable" i e
          > Woody. Are you
          > suggesting that I should go with "testing" instead?

          Yes. Actually "Sid" is "unstable" but is close to
          "testing" at the moment. "stable" or "woody" is very
          out-of-date, and only has a smaller subset of the
          total repository of software of Debian that they
          declared "stable" for "woody". I prefer "Sid" because
          it is the most up-to-date and has the largest
          selection of software of any Linux distribution.
          About the only thing "unstable" about "Sid" is that it
          is constantly changing from one day to the next as it
          tries to keep up-to-date with current software.
          Ocassionally something won't install right but if you
          just wait and try again in a few days, the problem
          will probably be fixed.

          Anyway, just edit your /etc/apt/sources.list changing
          things to "unstable", then do an "apt-get update;
          apt-get dist-upgrade" and it should do the upgrade.

          > Isn't it "Monta-Vista HardHat Linux"? :)

          Oops your right! It used to be known by this name.

          > So, what lines - specifically - should go into that
          > script? I am a bit
          > confused here since the installation of Debian was
          > broken down into two major parts - one that
          > installed the environment to compile the
          > bootstrap "Linux" and the other part to build the
          > complete environment "Debian". In those two steps
          > there were various "mounts" and "chroots"
          > that confuses me.

          I do intend to do a formal How-to as soon as I exactly
          figure this out myself (unless at this rate, someone
          beats me to it). Basically put in everything that you
          now have to enter when you telnet in and do now that
          your Debian is installed to access your Debian system
          and start up what ever apps or services you want to
          have running under Debian. Again, I haven't figured
          all this out myself so I don't want to tell you
          anything that is wrong. If you would like to
          experiment with setting up the run-level, write some
          scripts for it and then do something like "init 5"
          from the original OS to go to run level 5 (if you set
          your Debian up on 5) and see what happens. Never
          change the default in /etc/inittab until you are sure
          you have something that works!

          > Actually chaging it from ssh would be as easy as
          > doing it from the
          > web-interface, at least for me. Ideally the box
          > should boot into the
          > chrooted Debian environment automatically and fall
          > back to the
          > MontaVista environment should Debian fail in any
          > way.

          That is what I would like mine to do too. Perhaps
          using the watchdog timer in the AMR processor would do
          this nicely.

          > Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
          > Maybe I can try out
          > your ideas until you get your box fixed?

          I'm hoping to be back up and running later this month.
          I just got real busy with things recently.

          http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com