Debian on LS - how to quickly switch to it

  • Hans-Göran Puke
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hi!
      I have now successfully installed Debian on my LS, generally following
      the excellent guidelines provided by Scott Ananian in message #526.

      I have a small question:
      The way the system is set up right now, is that LS boots its normal
      environment (based on HardHat Linux, I suppose) and then I would have
      to log into the box using ssh and then perform some steps, including
      chroot, to switch to the Debian environment. Is there a way that I can
      put these steps into a file and execute it by one command? Or
      alternatively define a new run-level and do "init 8" or whatever that
      would essentially turn the box into a "Debian box"? If so, what
      commands would have to be in that file?

      --
      H-G
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        --- Hans-G�ran Puke <hgpuke@...> wrote:

        > Hi!
        > I have now successfully installed Debian on my LS,

        Congratulations! Did you then "apt-get" your way up
        to Debian Sid? (it's really worth doing).

        > LS boots its normal environment (based on HardHat
        > Linux, I suppose)

        Nope, it's Monta-Vista

        > ... to switch to the Debian environment [,] Is
        > there a way that I can put these steps into a file
        > and execute it by one command?

        Sure, that was going to be my next project once I
        resurrect my LS.

        > Or alternatively define a new run-level and do
        > "init 8"

        That was the way I intended. This way all the startup
        scripts of the original OS stays intact with the only
        change (other than the added run level) was to change
        the "default" line in /etc/inittab.

        > or whatever that
        > would essentially turn the box into a "Debian box"?

        > If so, what commands would have to be in that file?

        To start with, all the commands you are manually
        entering can go into a run-level script. Note that
        jumping directly to a new run-level, you will no
        longer start the original services in the original OS
        (so maybe you want to have a new run level for that
        mode too?)

        I was also wanting to put a new entry in the original
        Web based config to set run-level defaults, but I
        guess you can always telnet in and change it.

        =====
        Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

        Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Hans-Göran Puke
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
          Thanks James,
          I have some follow-up questions below.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:
          > Congratulations! Did you then "apt-get" your way up
          > to Debian Sid? (it's really worth doing).

          Hmm, I am not sure what you mean here... Are you referring to the
          "stable" vs "testing" vs "unstable" environments? I followed the
          original instructions and ended up with "stable" i e Woody. Are you
          suggesting that I should go with "testing" instead?

          > > LS boots its normal environment (based on HardHat
          > > Linux, I suppose)
          >
          > Nope, it's Monta-Vista

          Isn't it "Monta-Vista HardHat Linux"? :)

          > > If so, what commands would have to be in that file?
          >
          > To start with, all the commands you are manually
          > entering can go into a run-level script. Note that
          > jumping directly to a new run-level, you will no
          > longer start the original services in the original OS
          > (so maybe you want to have a new run level for that
          > mode too?)

          So, what lines - specifically - should go into that script? I am a bit
          confused here since the installation of Debian was broken down into
          two major parts - one that installed the environment to compile the
          bootstrap "Linux" and the other part to build the complete environment
          "Debian". In those two steps there were various "mounts" and "chroots"
          that confuses me.

          > I was also wanting to put a new entry in the original
          > Web based config to set run-level defaults, but I
          > guess you can always telnet in and change it.

          Actually chaging it from ssh would be as easy as doing it from the
          web-interface, at least for me. Ideally the box should boot into the
          chrooted Debian environment automatically and fall back to the
          MontaVista environment should Debian fail in any way.

          Looking forward to your comments and suggestions. Maybe I can try out
          your ideas until you get your box fixed?

          --
          H-G
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
            --- Hans-G�ran Puke <hgpuke@...> wrote:

            > Thanks James,
            > I have some follow-up questions below.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James
            > Stewart
            > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > > Congratulations! Did you then "apt-get" your way
            > up
            > > to Debian Sid? (it's really worth doing).
            >
            > Hmm, I am not sure what you mean here... Are you
            > referring to the
            > "stable" vs "testing" vs "unstable" environments? I
            > followed the
            > original instructions and ended up with "stable" i e
            > Woody. Are you
            > suggesting that I should go with "testing" instead?

            Yes. Actually "Sid" is "unstable" but is close to
            "testing" at the moment. "stable" or "woody" is very
            out-of-date, and only has a smaller subset of the
            total repository of software of Debian that they
            declared "stable" for "woody". I prefer "Sid" because
            it is the most up-to-date and has the largest
            selection of software of any Linux distribution.
            About the only thing "unstable" about "Sid" is that it
            is constantly changing from one day to the next as it
            tries to keep up-to-date with current software.
            Ocassionally something won't install right but if you
            just wait and try again in a few days, the problem
            will probably be fixed.

            Anyway, just edit your /etc/apt/sources.list changing
            things to "unstable", then do an "apt-get update;
            apt-get dist-upgrade" and it should do the upgrade.

            > Isn't it "Monta-Vista HardHat Linux"? :)

            Oops your right! It used to be known by this name.

            > So, what lines - specifically - should go into that
            > script? I am a bit
            > confused here since the installation of Debian was
            > broken down into two major parts - one that
            > installed the environment to compile the
            > bootstrap "Linux" and the other part to build the
            > complete environment "Debian". In those two steps
            > there were various "mounts" and "chroots"
            > that confuses me.

            I do intend to do a formal How-to as soon as I exactly
            figure this out myself (unless at this rate, someone
            beats me to it). Basically put in everything that you
            now have to enter when you telnet in and do now that
            your Debian is installed to access your Debian system
            and start up what ever apps or services you want to
            have running under Debian. Again, I haven't figured
            all this out myself so I don't want to tell you
            anything that is wrong. If you would like to
            experiment with setting up the run-level, write some
            scripts for it and then do something like "init 5"
            from the original OS to go to run level 5 (if you set
            your Debian up on 5) and see what happens. Never
            change the default in /etc/inittab until you are sure
            you have something that works!

            > Actually chaging it from ssh would be as easy as
            > doing it from the
            > web-interface, at least for me. Ideally the box
            > should boot into the
            > chrooted Debian environment automatically and fall
            > back to the
            > MontaVista environment should Debian fail in any
            > way.

            That is what I would like mine to do too. Perhaps
            using the watchdog timer in the AMR processor would do
            this nicely.

            > Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
            > Maybe I can try out
            > your ideas until you get your box fixed?

            I'm hoping to be back up and running later this month.
            I just got real busy with things recently.

            http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com