Newbie Q: file sizes under EXT3?

  • bupkisxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      I've got the 160GB linkstation and I'm using it under OS X. I'm finding that the minimum
      file sizes reported by the Finder when the disk is mounted via smb are 4MB per file. I
      originally thought that the Finder must be simply misreporting these sizes. An ls -lh
      reports the actual number of bytes. However, I just recently started transferring 46GB of
      music files (which is taking *forever*, but that's another matter). I'm about 3/4 of the way
      through the transfer and both the Finder and df -h report that the files are using up 58GB
      on the linkstation. So the files are taking up way more space.

      Is this normal? If not, what should I do about it?
    • bupkisxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        It occurs to me that perhaps the file system isn't EXT3 on this drive. How can I find out?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bupkisxx" <bupkisxx@y...> wrote:

        > I've got the 160GB linkstation and I'm using it under OS X. I'm finding that the minimum
        > file sizes reported by the Finder when the disk is mounted via smb are 4MB per file. I
        > originally thought that the Finder must be simply misreporting these sizes. An ls -lh
        > reports the actual number of bytes. However, I just recently started transferring 46GB of
        > music files (which is taking *forever*, but that's another matter). I'm about 3/4 of the
        way
        > through the transfer and both the Finder and df -h report that the files are using up
        58GB
        > on the linkstation. So the files are taking up way more space.
        >
        > Is this normal? If not, what should I do about it?
      • Tom Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
          Take a peek at /etc/fstab

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
            Thanks. fstab says it is ext3. So why the huge file sizes?

            Any idea?