Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • whoisnader
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
      I am learning so much about linux/unix from my LS (I have never used
      it before then). It's not hard, just very different to Windows.

      The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
      linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
      detail for me.

      Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
      your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
      the original samba?

      The main reason why I want to upgrade my version of Samba is because
      I have first hand experience (on an enterprise level) as to how
      performance can be degraded between an XP environment and an old
      version of Samba. Specifically an EMC server going to a HP N Class
      server which was running Samba 2.7. The XP machines caused all sorts
      of issues going through the N Class.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
      <strat321@c...> wrote:

      > With respect to SWAT I can't comment as my intent was to leave the
      > unit as stock as possible in the native load.
      >
      > With respect to your second question yes I had this problem as
      well.
      > There is a script in '/www/script' that expects not only the path
      > smbd to be '/usr/sbin/smbd', but also the pid file to reside
      > in '/var/run'. Thus I took the following approach to get
      everything
      > working. Here are my build notes,
      >
      > 1) Modified Makefile such that the pid directory points
      > to /var/run. This permits the NSS's scripts to find the pid file
      > (e.g. /www/script/melsub_shutdown.sh).
      > 2) Ran make
      > 3) Ran make install
      > 4) Copied the build location's /usr/local/samba directory to
      > the real /usr/local location
      > 5) Symbolically linked the smb.conf file via, "ln –
      > s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
      > 6) Symbolically linked the samba password file smbpasswd
      > via, "ln –s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/loca
      > l/samba/private/smbpasswd".
      > 7) Symbolically linked the smb demon via, "ln –
      > s /usr/sbin/smbd /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd".
      >
      > Note that rather than modifying /etc/init.d/smb I made a copy of
      the
      > older smbd and linked to the new smbd (step 7 above). This solves
      > the problem with the shutdown script greping the output of 'ps'
      and
      > looking for the complete path, not just 'smbd'.
      >
      > Someone said that they find themself fighting the native LS load.
      No
      > kidding....
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone noticed that you cannot shutdown (either via the
      > shutdown
      > > command in a telnet session, via the web interface or the
      button)
      > > when running this version of samba, or is it just my
      configration?

      > > When I reverted back the samba version that comes with 1.45_13
      it
      > > will shutdown correctly.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
      > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I can't seem to get SWAT to work. I have made the changes to
      the
      > > > inetd.conf file but I get a connection refused error when I
      try
      > > > connect to http://ip:901/
      > > >
      > > > Here is how my inetd.conf looks like
      > > >
      > > > telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd
      > > > in.telnetd /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat
      > > >
      > > > I am able to get samba working, just not SWAT.

    • stratmoens
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
        <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

        Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
        say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
        link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process table
        the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
        the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.

        The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the LS
        employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a few
        more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
        new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.

        Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
        needed unicode running at this point.

        > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
        > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
        > detail for me.
        >
        > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
        > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
        > the original samba?
      • Wilson
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
          Keep in mind that the samba 3.0.9 binaries are
          compiled before we investigate many dependencies with
          the LS system files.. Feel free to compile a new one
          and replace the files in the files section.

          Wilson

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
            In "Windows" terms, we are making "shortcuts" to
            everyplace where a file is expected to be but isn't.
            These "shortcuts" or "links" are commonly used in
            Unix-like operating systems because unlike Windows
            "shortcuts" they are well integrated into the file
            system and work very well.

            --- stratmoens <strat321@...> wrote:

            > "whoisnader"
            > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
            >
            > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the
            > new smbd in
            > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd
            > and created a
            > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in
            > the process table
            > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are
            > expect. Specifically
            > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
            >
            > The default samba configuration isn't for the
            > locations that the LS
            > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need
            > to modify a few
            > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I
            > wanted to get the
            > new samba running with as little changes to the LS
            > as possible.
            >
            > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box,
            > but I just
            > needed unicode running at this point.
            >
            > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of
            > the older smbd and
            > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a
            > little more
            > > detail for me.
            > >
            > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have
            > my respect form
            > > your contribution to this group) about just
            > copying the files over
            > > the original samba?

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • whoisnader
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
              There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
              bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:

              ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
              ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
              cd /usr/sbin/
              mv smbd smbd.orignal
              mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
              mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
              ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
              ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
              ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd

              I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
              Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
              services.

              <strat321@c...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
              > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
              >
              > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
              > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
              > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
              table
              > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
              > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
              >
              > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
              LS
              > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
              few
              > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
              > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
              >
              > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
              > needed unicode running at this point.
              >
              > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
              and
              > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
              > > detail for me.
              > >
              > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
              form
              > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
              over
              > > the original samba?
            • whoisnader
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

                Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                processes runing.

                I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

                <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
                >
                > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                > cd /usr/sbin/
                > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                >
                > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                > services.
                >

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                > table
                > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                Specifically
                > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                > >
                > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                > LS
                > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                > few
                > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                the
                > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                > >
                > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                > > needed unicode running at this point.
                > >
                > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                > and
                > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                > > > detail for me.
                > > >
                > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                > form
                > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                > over
                > > > the original samba?
              • stratmoens
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 5, 2005
                  The version posted here is not modified to put the pid file in the
                  correct location.

                  <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                  > I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                  > tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                  > shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                  > work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.
                  >
                  > Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                  > in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                  > with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                  > processes runing.
                  >
                  > I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                  > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                  > > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am
                  doing:

                  > > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                  > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                  > > cd /usr/sbin/
                  > > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                  > > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                  > > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                  > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                  > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                  > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                  > >
                  > > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode
                  filenames.
                  > > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                  > > services.
                  > >

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                  > > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                  > > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                  > > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created
                  > > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                  > > table
                  > > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                  > Specifically
                  > > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                  > > >
                  > > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that
                  the
                  > > LS
                  > > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify
                  > > few
                  > > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                  > the
                  > > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                  > > >
                  > > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I
                  just
                  > > > needed unicode running at this point.

                  > > and

                  > > form
                  > > over
                • stratmoens
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 6, 2005
                    Binary version of smbd and nmbd uploaded to the Files area.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 7, 2005
                      Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                      saved me the hassle.

                      Appreciated it.

                      PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                      Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 8, 2005
                        I built samba on the Linkstation using the Kurobox binaries.

                        <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                        > Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                        > saved me the hassle.
                        >
                        > Appreciated it.
                        >
                        > PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                        > Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?
                      • chano22000
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                          Considering previous discussions how to install Samba 3.0.9, do I
                          have anything else to do than just replacing the smbd and nmbd files
                          with the ones you provide in order to have Samba 3.0.10 running on
                          the LinkStation ?

                          Thanks for your contribution and answer.
                        • stratmoens
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                            The postings in the file section all assume the executables reside
                            in /usr/local. Thus a different build might be required to just
                            replace the LS's files.

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"