Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • stratmoens
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
      With respect to SWAT I can't comment as my intent was to leave the
      unit as stock as possible in the native load.

      With respect to your second question yes I had this problem as well.
      There is a script in '/www/script' that expects not only the path to
      smbd to be '/usr/sbin/smbd', but also the pid file to reside
      in '/var/run'. Thus I took the following approach to get everything
      working. Here are my build notes,

      1) Modified Makefile such that the pid directory points
      to /var/run. This permits the NSS's scripts to find the pid file
      (e.g. /www/script/melsub_shutdown.sh).
      2) Ran make
      3) Ran make install
      4) Copied the build location's /usr/local/samba directory to
      the real /usr/local location
      5) Symbolically linked the smb.conf file via, "ln –
      s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
      6) Symbolically linked the samba password file smbpasswd
      via, "ln –s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/loca
      l/samba/private/smbpasswd".
      7) Symbolically linked the smb demon via, "ln –
      s /usr/sbin/smbd /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd".

      Note that rather than modifying /etc/init.d/smb I made a copy of the
      older smbd and linked to the new smbd (step 7 above). This solves
      the problem with the shutdown script greping the output of 'ps' and
      looking for the complete path, not just 'smbd'.

      Someone said that they find themself fighting the native LS load. No
      kidding....

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
        Did you restart inetd after you made these changes?

        ie: /etc/init.d/inetd restart

        Also, I just checked on the laptop I'm currently using
        and its inetd.conf has:

        swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/tcpd
        /usr/sbin/swat

        in it. It's a pure Debian system so who knows what
        applies.

        Oh, and I also have swat listed in my /etc/services
        file:

        swat 901/tcp # swat

        --- whoisnader <whoisnader@...> wrote:

        > I can't seem to get SWAT to work. I have made the
        > changes to the
        > inetd.conf file but I get a connection refused error
        > when I try to
        > connect to http://ip:901/
        >
        > Here is how my inetd.conf looks like
        >
        > telnet stream tcp nowait root
        > /usr/sbin/tcpd
        > in.telnetd /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat
        >
        > I am able to get samba working, just not SWAT.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
        > <sonsondei@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > or you can set up the smbpasswd location inside
        > the
        > > smb.conf file.
        > >

        > > --- stratmoens <strat321@c...> wrote:
        > >

        > > > A small addition to your "how to" is necessary
        > for
        > > > these binaries to
        > > > operate correctly....
        > > >
        > > > A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd.
        > For
        > > > example,
        > > >
        > > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        > > > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        > > >
        > > > Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I
        > rebuilt
        > > > samba from the
        > > > sources before I found that smbd was looking in
        > this
        > > > file, but it
        > > > was in fact empty thus preventing a client from
        > > > mounting a share.
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
        > Wilson
        > > > <sonsondei@y...>
        > > > >
        > > > [snip]
        > from
        > > > LS?
        > > > process,
        > > > server
        > > > symbolic
        > > > using
        > > > [snip]

        > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs.
        > Learn more.
        > > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • whoisnader
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
          I am learning so much about linux/unix from my LS (I have never used
          it before then). It's not hard, just very different to Windows.

          The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
          linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
          detail for me.

          Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
          your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
          the original samba?

          The main reason why I want to upgrade my version of Samba is because
          I have first hand experience (on an enterprise level) as to how
          performance can be degraded between an XP environment and an old
          version of Samba. Specifically an EMC server going to a HP N Class
          server which was running Samba 2.7. The XP machines caused all sorts
          of issues going through the N Class.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
            <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

            Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
            say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
            link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process table
            the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
            the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.

            The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the LS
            employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a few
            more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
            new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.

            Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
            needed unicode running at this point.

            > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
            > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
            > detail for me.
            >
            > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
            > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
            > the original samba?
          • Wilson
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
              Keep in mind that the samba 3.0.9 binaries are
              compiled before we investigate many dependencies with
              the LS system files.. Feel free to compile a new one
              and replace the files in the files section.

              Wilson

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                In "Windows" terms, we are making "shortcuts" to
                everyplace where a file is expected to be but isn't.
                These "shortcuts" or "links" are commonly used in
                Unix-like operating systems because unlike Windows
                "shortcuts" they are well integrated into the file
                system and work very well.

                --- stratmoens <strat321@...> wrote:

                > "whoisnader"
                > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                >
                > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the
                > new smbd in
                > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd
                > and created a
                > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in
                > the process table
                > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are
                > expect. Specifically
                > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                >
                > The default samba configuration isn't for the
                > locations that the LS
                > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need
                > to modify a few
                > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I
                > wanted to get the
                > new samba running with as little changes to the LS
                > as possible.
                >
                > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box,
                > but I just
                > needed unicode running at this point.
                >
                > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of
                > the older smbd and
                > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a
                > little more
                > > detail for me.
                > >
                > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have
                > my respect form
                > > your contribution to this group) about just
                > copying the files over
                > > the original samba?

                http://my.yahoo.com
              • whoisnader
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                  There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                  bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:

                  ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                  ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                  cd /usr/sbin/
                  mv smbd smbd.orignal
                  mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                  mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                  ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                  ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                  ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd

                  I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                  Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                  services.

                  <strat321@c...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                  > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                  > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                  > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                  table
                  > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
                  > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                  >
                  > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                  LS
                  > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                  few
                  > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
                  > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                  >
                  > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                  > needed unicode running at this point.
                  >
                  > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                  and
                  > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                  > > detail for me.
                  > >
                  > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                  form
                  > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                  over
                  > > the original samba?
                • whoisnader
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                    I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                    tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                    shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                    work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

                    Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                    in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                    with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                    processes runing.

                    I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

                    <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                    > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                    > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
                    >
                    > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                    > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                    > cd /usr/sbin/
                    > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                    > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                    > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                    > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                    > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                    > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                    >
                    > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                    > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                    > services.
                    >

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                    > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                    > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                    > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                    > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                    > table
                    > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                    Specifically
                    > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                    > >
                    > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                    > LS
                    > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                    > few
                    > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                    the
                    > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                    > >
                    > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                    > > needed unicode running at this point.
                    > >
                    > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                    > and
                    > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                    > > > detail for me.
                    > > >
                    > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                    > form
                    > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                    > over
                    > > > the original samba?
                  • stratmoens
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 5, 2005
                      The version posted here is not modified to put the pid file in the
                      correct location.

                      <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                      > I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                      > tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                      > shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                      > work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.
                      >
                      > Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                      > in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                      > with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                      > processes runing.
                      >
                      > I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?
                      >

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                      > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                      > > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am
                      doing:

                      > > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                      > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                      > > cd /usr/sbin/
                      > > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                      > > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                      > > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                      > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                      > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                      > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                      > >
                      > > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode
                      filenames.
                      > > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                      > > services.
                      > >

                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                      > > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                      > > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                      > > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created
                      > > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                      > > table
                      > > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                      > Specifically
                      > > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                      > > >
                      > > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that
                      the
                      > > LS
                      > > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify
                      > > few
                      > > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                      > the
                      > > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                      > > >
                      > > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I
                      just
                      > > > needed unicode running at this point.

                      > > and

                      > > form
                      > > over
                    • stratmoens
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 6, 2005
                        Binary version of smbd and nmbd uploaded to the Files area.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 7, 2005
                          Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                          saved me the hassle.

                          Appreciated it.

                          PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                          Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 8, 2005
                            I built samba on the Linkstation using the Kurobox binaries.

                            <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                            > Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                            > saved me the hassle.
                            >
                            > Appreciated it.
                            >
                            > PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                            > Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?
                          • chano22000
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                              Considering previous discussions how to install Samba 3.0.9, do I
                              have anything else to do than just replacing the smbd and nmbd files
                              with the ones you provide in order to have Samba 3.0.10 running on
                              the LinkStation ?

                              Thanks for your contribution and answer.
                            • stratmoens
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                                The postings in the file section all assume the executables reside
                                in /usr/local. Thus a different build might be required to just
                                replace the LS's files.

                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"