Re: Apache Server on LinkStation

  • downieabz
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tom Smith <yotommy@g...>
      wrote:
      > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:40:02 -0000, downieabz <ian.downie@t...>
      wrote:
      > > When I try to ping a valid IP address out there on the
      > > internet from the LinkStation, I get an error 'Network is
      > > unreachable'.
      >
      > Did you enter an IP address manually? If so, make sure you set
      > Default Gateway. I had neglected to do that, and the Linkstation
      > couldn't reach an NTP server. In my case, I set the Default Gateway
      > Address to 192.168.1.1 and things worked after that.

      I thought it was something simple. Yes, I didn't read the instructions
      in the manual properly - I couldn't reach an NTP server either. I made
      the IP address of my router the Default Gateway Address, and now my
      LinkStation is a fully fledged web server. Thanks very much.

      Ian Downie
    • onurd
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 25, 2005
        I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
        installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
        sucessfully install php?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
        <ian.downie@t...> wrote:

        > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
        > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
        on
        > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything about
        > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
        > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
        instructions.

        > I got my LinkStation as a Christmas present from my wife (I did
        give
        > her some assistance in identifying a suitable present) and want to
        use
        > it as a low power, always on, web server for my family history
        website
        > (low traffic volume via ADSL). The site is live on my home network
        > right now.
        >
        > I've documented most of the process but it is a bit verbose
        because it
        > includes all my mistakes. These have been caused partly by my own
        > ignorance and partly by following instructions (some in this
        > discussion group) which are missing essential steps or informaiton.
        > These things are probably completely obvious to a Linux expert but
        not
        > to someone whose last attempt at compiling anything was an 8086
        > assembly language program in 1984.
        >
        > The actual compilation and installation of Apache was easy - it was
        > all the stuff I needed to do first which caused all the trouble.
        This
        > stuff will be needed by anyone who wants to install anything.
        >
        > Two things that stand out are the need to update grep from 2.4.2 to
        > 2.5 as there is a bug in the default 2.4.2 which breaks the PHP
        > installer (I've not reached that point yet) and which may affect
        the
        > Apache install; and the need to run Apache on another port apart
        from
        > the default 80, which is used by the LinkStation's internal web
        server
        > for the Admin interface. I'm glad to be able to report that running
        > Apache on port 81 does not interfere with the Admin server.
        >
        > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
        willing
        > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
        also be
        > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
        look
        > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied it
        up,
        > I will post it in the How To section.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
      • downieabz
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 26, 2005
          To be honest, I got only a couple of responses to that post, both from
          novices. There has been another post suggesting that installing PHP
          slows the LS down to a crawl because of the restricted RAM so I have
          not gone through that. I discovered I had compiled Apache without DSO
          support so would need to recompile it to allow me to add PHP, but I'm
          not sure whether that applies with Apache 2.

          You can read the state of play here: http://www.downieabz.com/Apache/
          - that's my LinkStation - but I have been too busy at work to do any
          more with the LinkStation for a couple of months.

          By the way, the server had been up continuously from 16 January until
          yesterday, when I had to cut the power to everything in order to shut
          down my Windows XP box, so the LinkStation appears quite happy as a
          (very) low volume web server.

          I'm still interested in constructive feedback from anyone who knows
          what they are doing ....

          Ian

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "onurd" <onurd@y...>
          wrote:

          > I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
          > installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
          > sucessfully install php?
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
          > <ian.downie@t...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
          > > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
          > on
          > > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything
          about
          > > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
          > > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
          > instructions.

          > > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
          > willing
          > > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
          > also be
          > > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
          > look
          > > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied
          it
          > up,
          > > I will post it in the How To section.
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
        • ardper
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 28, 2005
            Do you really think that the LinkStation will not be able to cope with
            PHP?

            I did a lot of research on both the Linkstation and the NSLU2 before I
            bought my Linkstation last week... I originally liked the NSLU2
            because the hacking community is well developed. But the Linkstation
            is so easy to get going with - and has twice the memory.

            Anyway, it is possible to run Apache, and PHP on the NSLU2.

            More to the point, besides streaming music to a UPnP player, I wanted
            the Linkstation to host all of my photos, and serve them to client PCs.

            The software I am considering is called "Gallery" and requires Apache,
            and PHP.

            The software works on a NSLU2 - so surely will work on a Linkstation?!!

            I will let you know if I get it working; at present i am trying to
            choose between Gallery (which requires PHP) and IDS (which is Perl
            based)...

            (See this link)
            http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26692&highlight=nslu2&sid=8805fd7143539e0fa868440059fe8ad7

            Is there any reason why the Linkstation should not be able to cope
            with this when the NSLU2 can?

            As an aside, thanks to all you guys for your help and advice. I got
            a Linkstation from EBuyer in the UK for £130 and its great..! I have
            NFS and Twonkyvision running at the moment, networked to my MEPIS
            Linux Laptop and PC, all works like a dream!

            Am really getting into this Linux stuff and can't wait to say goodbye
            to Windows... but my missus insists on using "Word" despite OpenOffice
            being just as good, so will have to live with a Windows parition for a
            while longer yet...

            All the best

            Adam.

            <ian.downie@t...> wrote:

            > To be honest, I got only a couple of responses to that post, both from
            > novices. There has been another post suggesting that installing PHP
            > slows the LS down to a crawl because of the restricted RAM so I have
            > not gone through that. I discovered I had compiled Apache without DSO
            > support so would need to recompile it to allow me to add PHP, but I'm
            > not sure whether that applies with Apache 2.
            >
            > You can read the state of play here: http://www.downieabz.com/Apache/
            > - that's my LinkStation - but I have been too busy at work to do any
            > more with the LinkStation for a couple of months.
            >
            > By the way, the server had been up continuously from 16 January until
            > yesterday, when I had to cut the power to everything in order to shut
            > down my Windows XP box, so the LinkStation appears quite happy as a
            > (very) low volume web server.
            >
            > I'm still interested in constructive feedback from anyone who knows
            > what they are doing ....
            >
            > Ian
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "onurd" <onurd@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
            > > installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
            > > sucessfully install php?
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
            > > <ian.downie@t...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
            > > > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
            > > on
            > > > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything
            > about
            > > > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
            > > > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
            > > instructions.

            > > > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
            > > willing
            > > > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
            > > also be
            > > > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
            > > look
            > > > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied
            > it
            > > up,
            > > > I will post it in the How To section.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers
            > > >
            > > > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
          • Nat Fairbanks
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 29, 2005
              I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
              fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget you
              also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
              Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
              much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
              services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
              (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
              http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/

              -Nat
            • Frenchy
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                Two thumbs up Nat! Your gallery is slick with php.

                You most likely have the most loaded LStation now. You managed to max
                out the 64MB RAM (swapping). Are these tools memory hogs /CPU
                intensive?

                (I have been in Fairbanks once during November... I won't forget how
                fast and skillfuly people can drive on ice with no spikes. All the
                cars in the parking lot with engine runing while at the movies or
                shopping.)

                I am curious as to how you protect your server from internet
                intrusions /destruction?

                What firewall solution do you use? (Tiny_Proxy is not a FW.)

                Sam.
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nat Fairbanks
                <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
                > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
                > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget you
                > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
                > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
                > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
                > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
                > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
                > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
                >
                > -Nat
              • ardper
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                  Thankyou for your reply.

                  I have read through all the posts on this forum and yes, lighttpd
                  looks like a better solution than Apache. I wasn't aware of fastcgi,
                  so thanks for the tip!

                  The reason I am considering Gallery is that I store all of my digital
                  photographs on my Linkstation and I would like a quick/easy way to
                  browse thumbnails, over my home (Wifi) LAN.

                  An alternative product I am considering is IDS.
                  [ http://ids.sourceforge.net/ ]

                  IDS looks like it just needs Perl and a webserver (such as lighttpd)

                  I'll let you know how I get on...!

                  Regards

                  Adam.

                  <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
                  > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
                  > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget
                  you
                  > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
                  > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
                  > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
                  > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
                  > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
                  > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
                  >
                  > -Nat
                • natfairbanks
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                    I'm running my linkstation behind a hardware firewall/router (linksys
                    wrt54g) with port forwarding set up. I also use nmap to double check
                    that the settings only open the ports I want to the network I want.
                    I'm sure there are others with fairly loaded linkstation/kurobox
                    setups, the forums and wiki at
                    http://www.kurobox.com/forums/ and
                    http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php have been very helpful.
                    Thanks for the comments on the gallery, it's a stock install of the
                    http://gallery.menalto.com/ software.

                    The most memory intensive tools have been MySQL and Apache, although
                    other software that runs multiple instances have to be configured to
                    run fewer instances as well. Set the number of spare servers and max
                    servers down fairly now, don't compile in features you don't need and
                    everything should work fine. The way my system is set up now I
                    haven't noticed any swapping, there's usually 8-16MB of free ram.

                    I haven't been to Fairbanks, Alaska, but I'm in New Hampshire, which
                    does get plenty of ice and snow. Not as bad as Alaska I guess, since
                    there are only a couple of days a year you'd leave your car running.

                    -Nat

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "