Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • whoisnader
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
      Has anyone noticed that you cannot shutdown (either via the shutdown
      command in a telnet session, via the web interface or the button)
      when running this version of samba, or is it just my configration?

      When I reverted back the samba version that comes with 1.45_13 it
      will shutdown correctly.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"

      <sonsondei@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > or you can set up the smbpasswd location inside the
      > > smb.conf file.
      > >

      > > --- stratmoens <strat321@c...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > A small addition to your "how to" is necessary for
      > > > these binaries to
      > > > operate correctly....
      > > >
      > > > A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd. For
      > > > example,
      > > >
      > > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd
      > > > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
      > > >
      > > > Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I rebuilt
      > > > samba from the
      > > > sources before I found that smbd was looking in this
      > > > file, but it
      > > > was in fact empty thus preventing a client from
      > > > mounting a share.
      > > >
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
      > > > <sonsondei@y...>
      > > > >
      > > > [snip]
      > > > LS?
      > > > process,
      > > > server
      > > > symbolic
      > > > using
      > > > [snip]

      > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.
      > > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • stratmoens
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
        With respect to SWAT I can't comment as my intent was to leave the
        unit as stock as possible in the native load.

        With respect to your second question yes I had this problem as well.
        There is a script in '/www/script' that expects not only the path to
        smbd to be '/usr/sbin/smbd', but also the pid file to reside
        in '/var/run'. Thus I took the following approach to get everything
        working. Here are my build notes,

        1) Modified Makefile such that the pid directory points
        to /var/run. This permits the NSS's scripts to find the pid file
        (e.g. /www/script/melsub_shutdown.sh).
        2) Ran make
        3) Ran make install
        4) Copied the build location's /usr/local/samba directory to
        the real /usr/local location
        5) Symbolically linked the smb.conf file via, "ln –
        s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
        6) Symbolically linked the samba password file smbpasswd
        via, "ln –s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/loca
        l/samba/private/smbpasswd".
        7) Symbolically linked the smb demon via, "ln –
        s /usr/sbin/smbd /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd".

        Note that rather than modifying /etc/init.d/smb I made a copy of the
        older smbd and linked to the new smbd (step 7 above). This solves
        the problem with the shutdown script greping the output of 'ps' and
        looking for the complete path, not just 'smbd'.

        Someone said that they find themself fighting the native LS load. No
        kidding....

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
          Did you restart inetd after you made these changes?

          ie: /etc/init.d/inetd restart

          Also, I just checked on the laptop I'm currently using
          and its inetd.conf has:

          swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/tcpd
          /usr/sbin/swat

          in it. It's a pure Debian system so who knows what
          applies.

          Oh, and I also have swat listed in my /etc/services
          file:

          swat 901/tcp # swat

          --- whoisnader <whoisnader@...> wrote:

          > I can't seem to get SWAT to work. I have made the
          > changes to the
          > inetd.conf file but I get a connection refused error
          > when I try to
          > connect to http://ip:901/
          >
          > Here is how my inetd.conf looks like
          >
          > telnet stream tcp nowait root
          > /usr/sbin/tcpd
          > in.telnetd /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat
          >
          > I am able to get samba working, just not SWAT.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
          > <sonsondei@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > or you can set up the smbpasswd location inside
          > the
          > > smb.conf file.
          > >

          > > --- stratmoens <strat321@c...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > A small addition to your "how to" is necessary
          > for
          > > > these binaries to
          > > > operate correctly....
          > > >
          > > > A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd.
          > For
          > > > example,
          > > >
          > > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd
          > > > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
          > > >
          > > > Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I
          > rebuilt
          > > > samba from the
          > > > sources before I found that smbd was looking in
          > this
          > > > file, but it
          > > > was in fact empty thus preventing a client from
          > > > mounting a share.
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
          > Wilson
          > > > <sonsondei@y...>
          > > > >
          > > > [snip]
          > from
          > > > LS?
          > > > process,
          > > > server
          > > > symbolic
          > > > using
          > > > [snip]

          > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs.
          > Learn more.
          > > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • whoisnader
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
            I am learning so much about linux/unix from my LS (I have never used
            it before then). It's not hard, just very different to Windows.

            The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
            linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
            detail for me.

            Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
            your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
            the original samba?

            The main reason why I want to upgrade my version of Samba is because
            I have first hand experience (on an enterprise level) as to how
            performance can be degraded between an XP environment and an old
            version of Samba. Specifically an EMC server going to a HP N Class
            server which was running Samba 2.7. The XP machines caused all sorts
            of issues going through the N Class.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
              <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

              Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
              say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
              link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process table
              the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
              the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.

              The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the LS
              employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a few
              more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
              new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.

              Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
              needed unicode running at this point.

              > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
              > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
              > detail for me.
              >
              > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
              > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
              > the original samba?
            • Wilson
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                Keep in mind that the samba 3.0.9 binaries are
                compiled before we investigate many dependencies with
                the LS system files.. Feel free to compile a new one
                and replace the files in the files section.

                Wilson

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                  In "Windows" terms, we are making "shortcuts" to
                  everyplace where a file is expected to be but isn't.
                  These "shortcuts" or "links" are commonly used in
                  Unix-like operating systems because unlike Windows
                  "shortcuts" they are well integrated into the file
                  system and work very well.

                  --- stratmoens <strat321@...> wrote:

                  > "whoisnader"
                  > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the
                  > new smbd in
                  > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd
                  > and created a
                  > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in
                  > the process table
                  > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are
                  > expect. Specifically
                  > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                  >
                  > The default samba configuration isn't for the
                  > locations that the LS
                  > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need
                  > to modify a few
                  > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I
                  > wanted to get the
                  > new samba running with as little changes to the LS
                  > as possible.
                  >
                  > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box,
                  > but I just
                  > needed unicode running at this point.
                  >
                  > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of
                  > the older smbd and
                  > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a
                  > little more
                  > > detail for me.
                  > >
                  > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have
                  > my respect form
                  > > your contribution to this group) about just
                  > copying the files over
                  > > the original samba?

                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • whoisnader
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                    There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                    bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:

                    ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                    ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                    cd /usr/sbin/
                    mv smbd smbd.orignal
                    mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                    mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                    ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                    ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                    ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd

                    I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                    Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                    services.

                    <strat321@c...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                    > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                    > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                    > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                    table
                    > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
                    > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                    >
                    > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                    LS
                    > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                    few
                    > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
                    > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                    >
                    > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                    > needed unicode running at this point.
                    >
                    > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                    and
                    > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                    > > detail for me.
                    > >
                    > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                    form
                    > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                    over
                    > > the original samba?
                  • whoisnader
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                      I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                      tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                      shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                      work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

                      Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                      in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                      with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                      processes runing.

                      I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

                      <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                      > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                      > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
                      >
                      > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                      > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                      > cd /usr/sbin/
                      > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                      > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                      > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                      > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                      >
                      > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                      > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                      > services.
                      >

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                      > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                      > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                      > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                      > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                      > table
                      > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                      Specifically
                      > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                      > >
                      > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                      > LS
                      > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                      > few
                      > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                      the
                      > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                      > >
                      > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                      > > needed unicode running at this point.
                      > >
                      > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                      > and
                      > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                      > > > detail for me.
                      > > >
                      > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                      > form
                      > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                      > over
                      > > > the original samba?
                    • stratmoens
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 5, 2005
                        The version posted here is not modified to put the pid file in the
                        correct location.

                        <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                        > I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                        > tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                        > shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                        > work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.
                        >
                        > Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                        > in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                        > with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                        > processes runing.
                        >
                        > I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?
                        >

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                        > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                        > > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am
                        doing:

                        > > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                        > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                        > > cd /usr/sbin/
                        > > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                        > > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                        > > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                        > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                        > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                        > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                        > >
                        > > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode
                        filenames.
                        > > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                        > > services.
                        > >

                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                        > > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                        > > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                        > > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created
                        > > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                        > > table
                        > > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                        > Specifically
                        > > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                        > > >
                        > > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that
                        the
                        > > LS
                        > > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify
                        > > few
                        > > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                        > the
                        > > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                        > > >
                        > > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I
                        just
                        > > > needed unicode running at this point.

                        > > and

                        > > form
                        > > over
                      • stratmoens
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 6, 2005
                          Binary version of smbd and nmbd uploaded to the Files area.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 7, 2005
                            Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                            saved me the hassle.

                            Appreciated it.

                            PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                            Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 8, 2005
                              I built samba on the Linkstation using the Kurobox binaries.

                              <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                              > Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                              > saved me the hassle.
                              >
                              > Appreciated it.
                              >
                              > PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                              > Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?
                            • chano22000
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                                Considering previous discussions how to install Samba 3.0.9, do I
                                have anything else to do than just replacing the smbd and nmbd files
                                with the ones you provide in order to have Samba 3.0.10 running on
                                the LinkStation ?

                                Thanks for your contribution and answer.
                              • stratmoens
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                                  The postings in the file section all assume the executables reside
                                  in /usr/local. Thus a different build might be required to just
                                  replace the LS's files.

                                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"