Re: Samba-3.0.9 binaries for Linkstation (README)

  • whoisnader
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
      I can't seem to get SWAT to work. I have made the changes to the
      inetd.conf file but I get a connection refused error when I try to
      connect to http://ip:901/

      Here is how my inetd.conf looks like

      telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd
      in.telnetd /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat

      I am able to get samba working, just not SWAT.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>
      wrote:
      > or you can set up the smbpasswd location inside the
      > smb.conf file.
      >

      > --- stratmoens <strat321@c...> wrote:
      >

      > > A small addition to your "how to" is necessary for
      > > these binaries to
      > > operate correctly....
      > >
      > > A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd. For
      > > example,
      > >
      > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd
      > > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
      > >
      > > Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I rebuilt
      > > samba from the
      > > sources before I found that smbd was looking in this
      > > file, but it
      > > was in fact empty thus preventing a client from
      > > mounting a share.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
      > > <sonsondei@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > [snip]
      > > > Q: How to make it work with the current samba from
      > > LS?
      > > > A: You should first stop the current samba
      > > process,
      > > > change the /etc/init.d/smb to point to the new
      > > server
      > > > daemon location (/usr/sbin/smbd to
      > > > /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd etc) Then make a
      > > symbolic
      > > > link: ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
      > > > /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
      > > > start the process again and you should be now
      > > using
      > > > samba 3.0.9 binaries.
      > > [snip]
      > > > Wilson

      > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.
      > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • whoisnader
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
        Has anyone noticed that you cannot shutdown (either via the shutdown
        command in a telnet session, via the web interface or the button)
        when running this version of samba, or is it just my configration?

        When I reverted back the samba version that comes with 1.45_13 it
        will shutdown correctly.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
        <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

        > I can't seem to get SWAT to work. I have made the changes to the
        > inetd.conf file but I get a connection refused error when I try to
        > connect to http://ip:901/
        >
        > Here is how my inetd.conf looks like
        >
        > telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd
        > in.telnetd /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat
        >
        > I am able to get samba working, just not SWAT.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
        <sonsondei@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > or you can set up the smbpasswd location inside the
        > > smb.conf file.
        > >

        > > --- stratmoens <strat321@c...> wrote:
        > >

        > > > A small addition to your "how to" is necessary for
        > > > these binaries to
        > > > operate correctly....
        > > >
        > > > A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd. For
        > > > example,
        > > >
        > > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        > > > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        > > >
        > > > Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I rebuilt
        > > > samba from the
        > > > sources before I found that smbd was looking in this
        > > > file, but it
        > > > was in fact empty thus preventing a client from
        > > > mounting a share.
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
        > > > <sonsondei@y...>
        > > > >
        > > > [snip]
        > > > LS?
        > > > process,
        > > > server
        > > > symbolic
        > > > using
        > > > [snip]

        > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.
        > > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      • stratmoens
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
          With respect to SWAT I can't comment as my intent was to leave the
          unit as stock as possible in the native load.

          With respect to your second question yes I had this problem as well.
          There is a script in '/www/script' that expects not only the path to
          smbd to be '/usr/sbin/smbd', but also the pid file to reside
          in '/var/run'. Thus I took the following approach to get everything
          working. Here are my build notes,

          1) Modified Makefile such that the pid directory points
          to /var/run. This permits the NSS's scripts to find the pid file
          (e.g. /www/script/melsub_shutdown.sh).
          2) Ran make
          3) Ran make install
          4) Copied the build location's /usr/local/samba directory to
          the real /usr/local location
          5) Symbolically linked the smb.conf file via, "ln –
          s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
          6) Symbolically linked the samba password file smbpasswd
          via, "ln –s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/loca
          l/samba/private/smbpasswd".
          7) Symbolically linked the smb demon via, "ln –
          s /usr/sbin/smbd /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd".

          Note that rather than modifying /etc/init.d/smb I made a copy of the
          older smbd and linked to the new smbd (step 7 above). This solves
          the problem with the shutdown script greping the output of 'ps' and
          looking for the complete path, not just 'smbd'.

          Someone said that they find themself fighting the native LS load. No
          kidding....

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2005
            Did you restart inetd after you made these changes?

            ie: /etc/init.d/inetd restart

            Also, I just checked on the laptop I'm currently using
            and its inetd.conf has:

            swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/tcpd
            /usr/sbin/swat

            in it. It's a pure Debian system so who knows what
            applies.

            Oh, and I also have swat listed in my /etc/services
            file:

            swat 901/tcp # swat

            --- whoisnader <whoisnader@...> wrote:

            > I can't seem to get SWAT to work. I have made the
            > changes to the
            > inetd.conf file but I get a connection refused error
            > when I try to
            > connect to http://ip:901/
            >
            > Here is how my inetd.conf looks like
            >
            > telnet stream tcp nowait root
            > /usr/sbin/tcpd
            > in.telnetd /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat swat
            >
            > I am able to get samba working, just not SWAT.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson
            > <sonsondei@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > or you can set up the smbpasswd location inside
            > the
            > > smb.conf file.
            > >

            > > --- stratmoens <strat321@c...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > A small addition to your "how to" is necessary
            > for
            > > > these binaries to
            > > > operate correctly....
            > > >
            > > > A symbolic link must be created for smbpasswd.
            > For
            > > > example,
            > > >
            > > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd
            > > > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
            > > >
            > > > Otherwise I believe everything is correct. I
            > rebuilt
            > > > samba from the
            > > > sources before I found that smbd was looking in
            > this
            > > > file, but it
            > > > was in fact empty thus preventing a client from
            > > > mounting a share.
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
            > Wilson
            > > > <sonsondei@y...>
            > > > >
            > > > [snip]
            > from
            > > > LS?
            > > > process,
            > > > server
            > > > symbolic
            > > > using
            > > > [snip]

            > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs.
            > Learn more.
            > > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • whoisnader
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2005
              I am learning so much about linux/unix from my LS (I have never used
              it before then). It's not hard, just very different to Windows.

              The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
              linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
              detail for me.

              Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
              your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
              the original samba?

              The main reason why I want to upgrade my version of Samba is because
              I have first hand experience (on an enterprise level) as to how
              performance can be degraded between an XP environment and an old
              version of Samba. Specifically an EMC server going to a HP N Class
              server which was running Samba 2.7. The XP machines caused all sorts
              of issues going through the N Class.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process table
                the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
                the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.

                The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the LS
                employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a few
                more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
                new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.

                Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                needed unicode running at this point.

                > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd and
                > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                > detail for me.
                >
                > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect form
                > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files over
                > the original samba?
              • Wilson
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Keep in mind that the samba 3.0.9 binaries are
                  compiled before we investigate many dependencies with
                  the LS system files.. Feel free to compile a new one
                  and replace the files in the files section.

                  Wilson

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2005
                    In "Windows" terms, we are making "shortcuts" to
                    everyplace where a file is expected to be but isn't.
                    These "shortcuts" or "links" are commonly used in
                    Unix-like operating systems because unlike Windows
                    "shortcuts" they are well integrated into the file
                    system and work very well.

                    --- stratmoens <strat321@...> wrote:

                    > "whoisnader"
                    > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the
                    > new smbd in
                    > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd
                    > and created a
                    > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in
                    > the process table
                    > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are
                    > expect. Specifically
                    > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                    >
                    > The default samba configuration isn't for the
                    > locations that the LS
                    > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need
                    > to modify a few
                    > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I
                    > wanted to get the
                    > new samba running with as little changes to the LS
                    > as possible.
                    >
                    > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box,
                    > but I just
                    > needed unicode running at this point.
                    >
                    > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of
                    > the older smbd and
                    > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a
                    > little more
                    > > detail for me.
                    > >
                    > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have
                    > my respect form
                    > > your contribution to this group) about just
                    > copying the files over
                    > > the original samba?

                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • whoisnader
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                      There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                      bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:

                      ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                      ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                      cd /usr/sbin/
                      mv smbd smbd.orignal
                      mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                      mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                      ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd

                      I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                      Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                      services.

                      <strat321@c...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                      > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                      > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                      > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                      table
                      > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect. Specifically
                      > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                      >
                      > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                      LS
                      > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                      few
                      > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get the
                      > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                      >
                      > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                      > needed unicode running at this point.
                      >
                      > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                      and
                      > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                      > > detail for me.
                      > >
                      > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                      form
                      > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                      over
                      > > the original samba?
                    • whoisnader
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 4, 2005
                        I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                        tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                        shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                        work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.

                        Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                        in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                        with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                        processes runing.

                        I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?

                        <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                        > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                        > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am doing:
                        >
                        > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                        > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                        > cd /usr/sbin/
                        > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                        > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                        > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                        > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                        > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                        > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                        >
                        > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode filenames.
                        > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                        > services.
                        >

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                        > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                        > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                        > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created a
                        > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                        > table
                        > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                        Specifically
                        > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                        > >
                        > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that the
                        > LS
                        > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify a
                        > few
                        > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                        the
                        > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                        > >
                        > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I just
                        > > needed unicode running at this point.
                        > >
                        > > > The last paragraph, you said, "I made a copy of the older smbd
                        > and
                        > > > linked to the new smbd", can you explain that in a little more
                        > > > detail for me.
                        > > >
                        > > > Also, what are your thoughts (you definately have my respect
                        > form
                        > > > your contribution to this group) about just copying the files
                        > over
                        > > > the original samba?
                      • stratmoens
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 5, 2005
                          The version posted here is not modified to put the pid file in the
                          correct location.

                          <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                          > I just noticed that the /var/run/smbd.pid file is missing. So I
                          > tried creating one with the PID od the deamon and it was able to
                          > shutdown from the webserver script, but the button still did not
                          > work. When I booted it up again, the file was missing yet again.
                          >
                          > Then I tried "find / -name smbd.pid -print" and found it
                          > in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid I confirmed the PID
                          > with "ps -A" although I also did find another two more smbd
                          > processes runing.
                          >
                          > I thought that was compiled to go into the /var/run/ directory?
                          >

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                          > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > There must be a step that I am missing as I still can't get the
                          > > bloody thing to shutdown from the button. Here is what I am
                          doing:

                          > > ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
                          > > ln -s /etc/samba/smbpasswd /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
                          > > cd /usr/sbin/
                          > > mv smbd smbd.orignal
                          > > mv nmbd nmbd.orignal
                          > > mv winbindd winbindd.orginal
                          > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd /usr/sbin/smbd
                          > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd /usr/sbin/nmbd
                          > > ln -s /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd /usr/sbin/winbindd
                          > >
                          > > I know I am running Samba 3 as I can now create Unicode
                          filenames.
                          > > Swat still won't work. Made the entries into both inetd.conf and
                          > > services.
                          > >

                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
                          > > <strat321@c...> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                          > > > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Rather than changing /etc/init.d/smb to start the new smbd in
                          > > > say /usr/local/samba/sbin, I renamed the LS's smbd and created
                          > > > link to the new smbd. This has the effect that in the process
                          > > table
                          > > > the path to smbd is what the LS's scripts are expect.
                          > Specifically
                          > > > the path wants to be /usr/sbin/smbd.
                          > > >
                          > > > The default samba configuration isn't for the locations that
                          the
                          > > LS
                          > > > employs. Thus if you went this route you would need to modify
                          > > few
                          > > > more of the paths in the Makefile. As I cited I wanted to get
                          > the
                          > > > new samba running with as little changes to the LS as possible.
                          > > >
                          > > > Maybe at some point I will really hack into the box, but I
                          just
                          > > > needed unicode running at this point.

                          > > and

                          > > form
                          > > over
                        • stratmoens
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 6, 2005
                            Binary version of smbd and nmbd uploaded to the Files area.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 7, 2005
                              Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                              saved me the hassle.

                              Appreciated it.

                              PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                              Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 8, 2005
                                I built samba on the Linkstation using the Kurobox binaries.

                                <whoisnader@h...> wrote:

                                > Thanks mate. I was looking into compiling my own but you have now
                                > saved me the hassle.
                                >
                                > Appreciated it.
                                >
                                > PS, quick question, did you compile it on you computer or on the
                                > Linkstation itself using the kuro box binaries and modules?
                              • chano22000
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                                  Considering previous discussions how to install Samba 3.0.9, do I
                                  have anything else to do than just replacing the smbd and nmbd files
                                  with the ones you provide in order to have Samba 3.0.10 running on
                                  the LinkStation ?

                                  Thanks for your contribution and answer.
                                • stratmoens
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 23, 2005
                                    The postings in the file section all assume the executables reside
                                    in /usr/local. Thus a different build might be required to just
                                    replace the LS's files.

                                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"