Re: [LinkStation_General] LinkStation sensitive to cell phone radio waves?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
      In the old "Analog" cell phone days (in which the
      phones had more powerful transmitters), I could stop a
      CD player from playing by calling a cell phone near
      the player. Unfortuantlely I found this out when I
      was doing some work in a live radio studio!

      I guess you need a radiation-hardened LinkStation.

      --- born_daniel <born_daniel@...> wrote:

      > I just had my LinkStation completely freeze on me
      > when I received a
      > call on my cell phone which was about 2 feet away
      > from the LS (I'm
      > assuming it's related?). I had to unplug it to
      > recover it. Anybody
      > else seen this?
      >
      > First I heard the drive spin down, spin up and back
      > down again,
      > within a few seconds and then it was completely not
      > responding
      > (ping, telnet, web interface, slimserver, samba
      > connection), even
      > the power button wasn't doing anything. I unplugged
      > it for 10
      > seconds and once power was restored, I was able to
      > power it up and
      > it was back to normal.
      >
      > My only explanation is that the radio waves emitted
      > by the cell
      > phone as the call came in, overloaded the LS
      > circuitry.
      >
      > Any insight?
      >
      > Daniel

      =====
      Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

      Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250