RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Flakey Connection under Windows XP SP2

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
      Since my LS is currently down, I can't check out how
      it is set up.

      Are they running the nmbd service from the inetd
      "superserver"? If so, this is the problem. nmbd
      needs to be running all the time, otherwise this exact
      problem happens. The smbd service can run from inetd,
      but probably shouldn't.

      As far as the drive shutting down, I have a desktop
      (and some laptops) running Linux and Samba and when
      the drives spin down on them I still get connectivity,
      at worst there is about 20 second delay before the
      contents of a share are shown as the drive spins back
      up.

      I haven't played much with XP+SP2 with Samba much, but
      maybe there are some issues. You might do a keyword
      search with these terms and see what comes up.

      --- Internet Subscriptions

      http://my.yahoo.com