RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Flakey Connection under Windows XP SP2

  • Wilson
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31 4:18 PM
      oh..sorry that I'm not telling you to upgrade with the
      japanese firmware as Buffalo USA also has their
      english firmware 1.45.

      I just show you the page that in the change log, it
      said it has some fix from 1.44 to 1.45...so just
      advice you to upgrade to 1.45.

      Also there's several versions of 1.45..and the latest
      one doesn't support telnet.

      Wilson

      http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

      > Wilson
      > --- Internet Subscriptions
      > <internetsubscriptions@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Andrew,
      > >
      > > I haven't tried a complete reset of the unit. I
      > will
      > > try that -- though
      > > hopefully it won't erase my data, which mostly
      > > consists of the 300+ CD's I
      > > ripped.
      > >
      > > I'm at firmware v1.44, so that isn't the problem.
      > > I'm wondering if it is
      > > connected to the ancient version of Samba that is
      > > included with the
      > > Linkstation.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Matthew

      === message truncated ===

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31 7:46 PM
        Since my LS is currently down, I can't check out how
        it is set up.

        Are they running the nmbd service from the inetd
        "superserver"? If so, this is the problem. nmbd
        needs to be running all the time, otherwise this exact
        problem happens. The smbd service can run from inetd,
        but probably shouldn't.

        As far as the drive shutting down, I have a desktop
        (and some laptops) running Linux and Samba and when
        the drives spin down on them I still get connectivity,
        at worst there is about 20 second delay before the
        contents of a share are shown as the drive spins back
        up.

        I haven't played much with XP+SP2 with Samba much, but
        maybe there are some issues. You might do a keyword
        search with these terms and see what comes up.

        http://my.yahoo.com