Re: Apache Server on LinkStation

  • downieabz
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2004
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, David Walters <david@j...>
      wrote:
      > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 10:00:11PM -0000, downieabz wrote:
      > > Can the
      > > admin server be restarted by a command or do I need to switch it
      off
      > > and on again?
      >
      > Most of the services can be started, stopped and restarted using a
      > script in /etc/rc.d/init.d. In this case
      > /etc/rc.d/init.d/thttpd restart
      > should do the trick.
      >
      > David

      OK, I have established that I have a problem connecting the
      LinkStation to the internet. I have modified thttpd.conf to make the
      built in admin server run on port 81 and have changed the Apache
      server port back to the default 80.

      The site can be reached from any computer on my local network by
      entering http://LINKSTATION or http://<IP address of LinkStation> in a
      browser but not from a computer outside by entering the correct domain
      name http://www.downieabz.com (I'm connecting via a proxy server to
      check that). When I try to ping a valid IP address out there on the
      internet from the LinkStation, I get an error 'Network is
      unreachable'. If I change my router setting to point at a different
      internal Apache server on one of my computers, my website comes up on
      the internet.

      Checking the Apache access log and error log shows that the only
      attempts to access the LinkStation Apache server have come from local
      IP addresses (not including the ADSL modem/router).

      It occurs to me either that something built in to the LinkStation is
      blocking access to the internet (that would make sense as you wouldn't
      want your linkstation admin page to be accessible to everyone) or that
      I am missing a vital component which needs to be added for internet
      access. Can anyone help me fix this?

      Ian
    • Tom Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 31, 2004
        On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:40:02 -0000, downieabz <ian.downie@...> wrote:
        > When I try to ping a valid IP address out there on the
        > internet from the LinkStation, I get an error 'Network is
        > unreachable'.

        Did you enter an IP address manually? If so, make sure you set
        Default Gateway. I had neglected to do that, and the Linkstation
        couldn't reach an NTP server. In my case, I set the Default Gateway
        Address to 192.168.1.1 and things worked after that.
      • downieabz
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tom Smith <yotommy@g...>
          wrote:
          > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:40:02 -0000, downieabz <ian.downie@t...>
          wrote:
          > > When I try to ping a valid IP address out there on the
          > > internet from the LinkStation, I get an error 'Network is
          > > unreachable'.
          >
          > Did you enter an IP address manually? If so, make sure you set
          > Default Gateway. I had neglected to do that, and the Linkstation
          > couldn't reach an NTP server. In my case, I set the Default Gateway
          > Address to 192.168.1.1 and things worked after that.

          I thought it was something simple. Yes, I didn't read the instructions
          in the manual properly - I couldn't reach an NTP server either. I made
          the IP address of my router the Default Gateway Address, and now my
          LinkStation is a fully fledged web server. Thanks very much.

          Ian Downie
        • onurd
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 25, 2005
            I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
            installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
            sucessfully install php?

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
            <ian.downie@t...> wrote:

            > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
            > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
            on
            > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything about
            > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
            > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
            instructions.

            > I got my LinkStation as a Christmas present from my wife (I did
            give
            > her some assistance in identifying a suitable present) and want to
            use
            > it as a low power, always on, web server for my family history
            website
            > (low traffic volume via ADSL). The site is live on my home network
            > right now.
            >
            > I've documented most of the process but it is a bit verbose
            because it
            > includes all my mistakes. These have been caused partly by my own
            > ignorance and partly by following instructions (some in this
            > discussion group) which are missing essential steps or informaiton.
            > These things are probably completely obvious to a Linux expert but
            not
            > to someone whose last attempt at compiling anything was an 8086
            > assembly language program in 1984.
            >
            > The actual compilation and installation of Apache was easy - it was
            > all the stuff I needed to do first which caused all the trouble.
            This
            > stuff will be needed by anyone who wants to install anything.
            >
            > Two things that stand out are the need to update grep from 2.4.2 to
            > 2.5 as there is a bug in the default 2.4.2 which breaks the PHP
            > installer (I've not reached that point yet) and which may affect
            the
            > Apache install; and the need to run Apache on another port apart
            from
            > the default 80, which is used by the LinkStation's internal web
            server
            > for the Admin interface. I'm glad to be able to report that running
            > Apache on port 81 does not interfere with the Admin server.
            >
            > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
            willing
            > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
            also be
            > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
            look
            > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied it
            up,
            > I will post it in the How To section.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
          • downieabz
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 26, 2005
              To be honest, I got only a couple of responses to that post, both from
              novices. There has been another post suggesting that installing PHP
              slows the LS down to a crawl because of the restricted RAM so I have
              not gone through that. I discovered I had compiled Apache without DSO
              support so would need to recompile it to allow me to add PHP, but I'm
              not sure whether that applies with Apache 2.

              You can read the state of play here: http://www.downieabz.com/Apache/
              - that's my LinkStation - but I have been too busy at work to do any
              more with the LinkStation for a couple of months.

              By the way, the server had been up continuously from 16 January until
              yesterday, when I had to cut the power to everything in order to shut
              down my Windows XP box, so the LinkStation appears quite happy as a
              (very) low volume web server.

              I'm still interested in constructive feedback from anyone who knows
              what they are doing ....

              Ian

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "onurd" <onurd@y...>
              wrote:

              > I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
              > installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
              > sucessfully install php?
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
              > <ian.downie@t...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
              > > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
              > on
              > > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything
              about
              > > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
              > > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
              > instructions.

              > > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
              > willing
              > > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
              > also be
              > > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
              > look
              > > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied
              it
              > up,
              > > I will post it in the How To section.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > >
              > > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
            • ardper
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 28, 2005
                Do you really think that the LinkStation will not be able to cope with
                PHP?

                I did a lot of research on both the Linkstation and the NSLU2 before I
                bought my Linkstation last week... I originally liked the NSLU2
                because the hacking community is well developed. But the Linkstation
                is so easy to get going with - and has twice the memory.

                Anyway, it is possible to run Apache, and PHP on the NSLU2.

                More to the point, besides streaming music to a UPnP player, I wanted
                the Linkstation to host all of my photos, and serve them to client PCs.

                The software I am considering is called "Gallery" and requires Apache,
                and PHP.

                The software works on a NSLU2 - so surely will work on a Linkstation?!!

                I will let you know if I get it working; at present i am trying to
                choose between Gallery (which requires PHP) and IDS (which is Perl
                based)...

                (See this link)
                http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26692&highlight=nslu2&sid=8805fd7143539e0fa868440059fe8ad7

                Is there any reason why the Linkstation should not be able to cope
                with this when the NSLU2 can?

                As an aside, thanks to all you guys for your help and advice. I got
                a Linkstation from EBuyer in the UK for £130 and its great..! I have
                NFS and Twonkyvision running at the moment, networked to my MEPIS
                Linux Laptop and PC, all works like a dream!

                Am really getting into this Linux stuff and can't wait to say goodbye
                to Windows... but my missus insists on using "Word" despite OpenOffice
                being just as good, so will have to live with a Windows parition for a
                while longer yet...

                All the best

                Adam.

                <ian.downie@t...> wrote:

                > To be honest, I got only a couple of responses to that post, both from
                > novices. There has been another post suggesting that installing PHP
                > slows the LS down to a crawl because of the restricted RAM so I have
                > not gone through that. I discovered I had compiled Apache without DSO
                > support so would need to recompile it to allow me to add PHP, but I'm
                > not sure whether that applies with Apache 2.
                >
                > You can read the state of play here: http://www.downieabz.com/Apache/
                > - that's my LinkStation - but I have been too busy at work to do any
                > more with the LinkStation for a couple of months.
                >
                > By the way, the server had been up continuously from 16 January until
                > yesterday, when I had to cut the power to everything in order to shut
                > down my Windows XP box, so the LinkStation appears quite happy as a
                > (very) low volume web server.
                >
                > I'm still interested in constructive feedback from anyone who knows
                > what they are doing ....
                >
                > Ian
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "onurd" <onurd@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
                > > installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
                > > sucessfully install php?
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
                > > <ian.downie@t...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
                > > > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
                > > on
                > > > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything
                > about
                > > > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
                > > > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
                > > instructions.

                > > > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
                > > willing
                > > > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
                > > also be
                > > > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
                > > look
                > > > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied
                > it
                > > up,
                > > > I will post it in the How To section.
                > > >
                > > > Cheers
                > > >
                > > > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
              • Nat Fairbanks
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 29, 2005
                  I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
                  fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget you
                  also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
                  Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
                  much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
                  services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
                  (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
                  http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/

                  -Nat
                • Frenchy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                    Two thumbs up Nat! Your gallery is slick with php.

                    You most likely have the most loaded LStation now. You managed to max
                    out the 64MB RAM (swapping). Are these tools memory hogs /CPU
                    intensive?

                    (I have been in Fairbanks once during November... I won't forget how
                    fast and skillfuly people can drive on ice with no spikes. All the
                    cars in the parking lot with engine runing while at the movies or
                    shopping.)

                    I am curious as to how you protect your server from internet
                    intrusions /destruction?

                    What firewall solution do you use? (Tiny_Proxy is not a FW.)

                    Sam.
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nat Fairbanks
                    <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
                    > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
                    > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget you
                    > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
                    > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
                    > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
                    > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
                    > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
                    > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
                    >
                    > -Nat
                  • ardper
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                      Thankyou for your reply.

                      I have read through all the posts on this forum and yes, lighttpd
                      looks like a better solution than Apache. I wasn't aware of fastcgi,
                      so thanks for the tip!

                      The reason I am considering Gallery is that I store all of my digital
                      photographs on my Linkstation and I would like a quick/easy way to
                      browse thumbnails, over my home (Wifi) LAN.

                      An alternative product I am considering is IDS.
                      [ http://ids.sourceforge.net/ ]

                      IDS looks like it just needs Perl and a webserver (such as lighttpd)

                      I'll let you know how I get on...!

                      Regards

                      Adam.

                      <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
                      > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
                      > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget
                      you
                      > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
                      > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
                      > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
                      > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
                      > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
                      > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
                      >
                      > -Nat
                    • natfairbanks
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                        I'm running my linkstation behind a hardware firewall/router (linksys
                        wrt54g) with port forwarding set up. I also use nmap to double check
                        that the settings only open the ports I want to the network I want.
                        I'm sure there are others with fairly loaded linkstation/kurobox
                        setups, the forums and wiki at
                        http://www.kurobox.com/forums/ and
                        http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php have been very helpful.
                        Thanks for the comments on the gallery, it's a stock install of the
                        http://gallery.menalto.com/ software.

                        The most memory intensive tools have been MySQL and Apache, although
                        other software that runs multiple instances have to be configured to
                        run fewer instances as well. Set the number of spare servers and max
                        servers down fairly now, don't compile in features you don't need and
                        everything should work fine. The way my system is set up now I
                        haven't noticed any swapping, there's usually 8-16MB of free ram.

                        I haven't been to Fairbanks, Alaska, but I'm in New Hampshire, which
                        does get plenty of ice and snow. Not as bad as Alaska I guess, since
                        there are only a couple of days a year you'd leave your car running.

                        -Nat

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "