Re: USB storage slowed down on purpose?

  • dtaub001
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
      Found the source that does this in drivers/usb/storage/transport.c:

      /* did we send all the data? */
      if (partial == length) {
      US_DEBUGP("usb_stor_transfer_partial(): transfer
      complete\n");
      printk(KERN_DEBUG USB_STORAGE "task-switchin\n");
      return US_BULK_TRANSFER_GOOD;
      }

      That printk sucks up a lot of cpu...

      Derek

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>
      wrote:

      > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive yesterday, and
      > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of cpu
      > (40-ish percent).
      >
      > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
      > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood of output
      > while the external device is being accessed (something about
      "switchin").

      > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so I'll see if
      > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...
      >
      > Derek
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
        Derek,

        Cool, good work! Keep us posted or even post a rough how-to in the files
        section until we get something better setup. I just ordered a 250GB
        DriveStation to use with my Linkstation today so I'm interested. Although,
        I'm probably going swap the 120GB in my LinkStation for the 250GB drive in
        the DriveStation first.

        JR

        > Found the source that does this in drivers/usb/storage/transport.c:
        >
        > /* did we send all the data? */
        > if (partial == length) {
        > US_DEBUGP("usb_stor_transfer_partial(): transfer
        > complete\n");
        > printk(KERN_DEBUG USB_STORAGE "task-switchin\n");
        > return US_BULK_TRANSFER_GOOD;
        > }
        >
        > That printk sucks up a lot of cpu...
        >
        > Derek
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive yesterday, and
        > > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of cpu
        > > (40-ish percent).
        > >
        > > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
        > > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood of output
        > > while the external device is being accessed (something about
        > "switchin").
        > >
        > > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so I'll see if
        > > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...
        > >
        > > Derek
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • mphoust2
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 14, 2004
          Is there any other way to disable this CPU-hog without a new kernal?
          I just don't think I want to replace the kernal right now :).

        • Rick Flower
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 14, 2004
            Nope.. The kernel is where that offending line of code is.. I just
            disabled it last night (but haven't had a chance to
            build a new kernel yet)

            -- Rick

            On Oct 14, 2004, at 4:15 AM, mphoust2 wrote:

            > Is there any other way to disable this CPU-hog without a new kernal?
            > I just don't think I want to replace the kernal right now :).
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
            > <jronald@c...> wrote:
            >> Derek,
            >>
            >> Cool, good work! Keep us posted or even post a rough how-to in the
            > files
            >> section until we get something better setup. I just ordered a 250GB
            >> DriveStation to use with my Linkstation today so I'm interested.
            > Although,
            >> I'm probably going swap the 120GB in my LinkStation for the 250GB
            > drive in
            >> the DriveStation first.
            >>
            >> JR

          • tad94564
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
              wrote:

              > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive yesterday,
              and
              > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of cpu
              > (40-ish percent).
              >
              > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
              > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood of
              output
              > while the external device is being accessed (something about
              "switchin").

              > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so I'll see
              if
              > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...

              After suffering from this problem last night, I found one possible
              cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one is
              HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this problem.
              Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem that is
              not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.

              Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop it
              either.

              To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
              installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file, untar
              the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
              transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in my
              sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and then
              install.. and pray that it comes back.

              thomas
            • Rick Flower
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                I've already done this on my updated kernel with no ill effects yet..
                Of course, I've not actually tried using the USB yet, so I can't really
                vouch for whether or not my changes solve the problem or not.

                -- Rick

                On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive yesterday,
                > and
                > > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of cpu
                > > (40-ish percent).
                > >
                > > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
                > > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood of
                > output
                > > while the external device is being accessed (something about
                > "switchin").
                > >
                > > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so I'll see
                > if
                > > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...
                > >

                > After suffering from this problem last night, I found one possible
                > cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one is
                > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this problem.
                > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem that is
                > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
                >
                > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop it
                > either.
                >
                > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
                > installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file, untar
                > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
                > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in my
                > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and then
                > install.. and pray that it comes back.
                >
                > thomas
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • tad94564
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                  It's probably still in there if your kernel is based on the
                  HD-LAN_GPL source.

                  I've recieved word this fix will be in the next firmware release,
                  which is supposed to be RSN.

                  thomas

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                  wrote:

                  > I've already done this on my updated kernel with no ill effects
                  yet..
                  > Of course, I've not actually tried using the USB yet, so I can't
                  really
                  > vouch for whether or not my changes solve the problem or not.
                  >
                  > -- Rick
                  >

                  > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:
                  >

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001"
                  <taubert@g...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive
                  yesterday,
                  > > and
                  > > > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of
                  cpu
                  > > > (40-ish percent).
                  > > >
                  > > > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
                  > > > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood
                  of
                  > > output
                  > > > while the external device is being accessed (something about
                  > > "switchin").
                  > > >
                  > > > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so
                  I'll see
                  > > if
                  > > > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...
                  > > >

                  > > After suffering from this problem last night, I found one
                  possible
                  > > cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one
                  is
                  > > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this
                  problem.
                  > > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem
                  that is
                  > > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
                  > >
                  > > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop
                  it
                  > > either.
                  > >
                  > > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
                  > > installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file,
                  untar
                  > > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
                  > > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in
                  my
                  > > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and
                  then
                  > > install.. and pray that it comes back.
                  > >
                  > > thomas
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • James Ronald
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                    What does RSN stand for?

                    > It's probably still in there if your kernel is
                    > based on the
                    > HD-LAN_GPL source.
                    >
                    > I've recieved word this fix will be in the next
                    > firmware release,
                    > which is supposed to be RSN.
                    >
                    > thomas
                    >
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick
                    > Flower <rickf@c...>
                    > wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I've already done this on my updated kernel
                    >> with no ill effects
                    > yet..
                    >> Of course, I've not actually tried using the
                    >> USB yet, so I can't
                    > really
                    >> vouch for whether or not my changes solve the
                    >> problem or not.
                    >>
                    >> -- Rick
                    >>

                    >> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:
                    >>

                    >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                    >> > "dtaub001"
                    > <taubert@g...>

                    > yesterday,
                    >> > and
                    > cpu

                    > of
                    >> > output
                    >> > "switchin").

                    > I'll see
                    >> > if
                    >> > >

                    >> > After suffering from this problem last night,
                    >> > I found one
                    > possible
                    >> > cause of the poor performance. There may be
                    >> > more, but this one
                    > is
                    >> > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel
                    >> > will not fix this
                    > problem.
                    >> > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the
                    >> > usb-storage subsystem
                    > that is
                    >> > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
                    >> >
                    >> > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher
                    >> > value doesn't stop
                    > it
                    >> > either.
                    >> >
                    >> > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL
                    >> > source, along with
                    >> > installation of the kuro box stuff, break
                    >> > apart the zip file,
                    > untar
                    >> > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage,
                    >> > edit the file
                    >> > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch',
                    >> > around line 531 in
                    > my
                    >> > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new
                    >> > kernel/ramdisk, and
                    > then
                    >> > install.. and pray that it comes back.
                    >> >
                    >> > thomas
                  • Rick Flower
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                      Unless there was another issue of the same type, that problem should
                      be solved in my kernel.. I went in and removed the kprintf call or
                      whatever it was. As for the kernel update, I'll probably not be doing
                      any firmware updates anymore since my system isn't exactly stock anymore.

                    • Roy M. Silvernail
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                        On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 15:25 -0400, James Ronald wrote:
                        > What does RSN stand for?

                        Real Soon Now. Not sure of the origin. I think I first saw it in
                        Pournelle's Byte column.
                        --
                        Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                        "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 2, 2005
                          This issue does appear to be fixed with firmware 1.45. Yay!

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "tad94564" <tdavis@b...>