RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Flakey Connection under Windows XP SP2

  • Andrew Hodgson
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004

      I upgraded to 1.45 just now, and now my Linkstation is not responding to Telnet, HTTP or SMB requests!!! I can upload the firmware as many times as I like, all with no success. Anyone else got this issue?

      Thanks,
      Andrew.

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
        On 12/31/04 at 7:15 AM -0800, Wilson wrote:
        >You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as
        >from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes for
        >1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.
        >
        >http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

        I tried to translate this using Babelfish but got an error. Does
        anyone know what this page says in English?

        This company's support for English-language users is just appalling!

        --Marc
      • Wilson
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
          oh..sorry that I'm not telling you to upgrade with the
          japanese firmware as Buffalo USA also has their
          english firmware 1.45.

          I just show you the page that in the change log, it
          said it has some fix from 1.44 to 1.45...so just
          advice you to upgrade to 1.45.

          Also there's several versions of 1.45..and the latest
          one doesn't support telnet.

          Wilson
          --- Wilson <sonsondei@...> wrote:

          > You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as
          > from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes
          > for
          > 1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.

          http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

          > Wilson
          > --- Internet Subscriptions
          > <internetsubscriptions@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Andrew,
          > >
          > > I haven't tried a complete reset of the unit. I
          > will
          > > try that -- though
          > > hopefully it won't erase my data, which mostly
          > > consists of the 300+ CD's I
          > > ripped.
          > >
          > > I'm at firmware v1.44, so that isn't the problem.
          > > I'm wondering if it is
          > > connected to the ancient version of Samba that is
          > > included with the
          > > Linkstation.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Matthew

          === message truncated ===

          http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
            Since my LS is currently down, I can't check out how
            it is set up.

            Are they running the nmbd service from the inetd
            "superserver"? If so, this is the problem. nmbd
            needs to be running all the time, otherwise this exact
            problem happens. The smbd service can run from inetd,
            but probably shouldn't.

            As far as the drive shutting down, I have a desktop
            (and some laptops) running Linux and Samba and when
            the drives spin down on them I still get connectivity,
            at worst there is about 20 second delay before the
            contents of a share are shown as the drive spins back
            up.

            I haven't played much with XP+SP2 with Samba much, but
            maybe there are some issues. You might do a keyword
            search with these terms and see what comes up.

            http://my.yahoo.com