problem installing mt-daapd .0.2.0

  • e_matibag
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
      when installing mt-daapd, it looks like it errors out.
      I check to see if it is running by confirming using "ps -A" and list
      no mt-daapd running

      here is the last lines of install message.

      /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1184: relocation truncated to fit:
      R_PPC_REL24
      pthread_rwlock_rdlock
      /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1221: undefined reference to
      `pthread_rwlock_u
      nlock'
      /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1221: relocation truncated to fit:
      R_PPC_REL24
      pthread_rwlock_unlock
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      make[2]: *** [mt-daapd] Error 1
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src'
      make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src'
      make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

      Does anyone know what means?

      Ed
    • Steve Lemke
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2004
        "e_matibag" <rhinoed@...> wrote:

        > when installing mt-daapd, it looks like it errors out.
        > I check to see if it is running by confirming using "ps -A" and list
        > no mt-daapd running
        >
        > here is the last lines of install message.
        >
        > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1184: relocation truncated to fit:
        > R_PPC_REL24
        > pthread_rwlock_rdlock
        > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1221: undefined reference to
        > `pthread_rwlock_u
        > nlock'
        > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1221: relocation truncated to fit:
        > R_PPC_REL24
        > pthread_rwlock_unlock
        > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        > make[2]: *** [mt-daapd] Error 1
        > make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src'
        > make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
        > make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src'
        > make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
        >
        > Does anyone know what means?

        Not sure. I just installed it and it worked fine, though if you look
        in the archives from this month you'll see a message I posted with a
        bunch of feedback on how the instructions might be improved somewhat.

        Are you sure you downloaded and properly unpacked all of the required
        tar files?

        It looks like you're using mt-daapd version 0.2.0 (the "stable"
        release). Looking at http://mt-daapd.sourceforge.net it appears there
        is a newer 0.2.1-pre2 dev release (from 11/26). The version I
        downloaded just happened to be the latest and greatest from CVS (since
        I built this before realizing there were older "stable" releases
        available). So, the version I'm running is cvs-20041207.

        Interestingly, it looks like on 12/29, compressed song info transfer
        was added (something I noticed was definitely lacking in previous
        versions with my 800+ CD collection), and on 12/30 some fixes were made
        for building on the LinkStation (perhaps broken on 12/29 since the
        12/07 build worked fine on my Linkstation).

        Anyone else running the 12/30 build or later?

        Also, has anyone else "updated" to a newer mt-daapd after already
        installing and building? Is there anything tricky to know? Do I just
        download it, unpack it, and "make install" like before?

        Happy New Year to all...
        --Steve
      • Ingo Fechtel
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2004
          Interesting question. Especially since there is a version supporting
          Playlists in the works...

          I.

        • Neil Hand
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2004
            For what it is worth, i just installed the latest CVS snapshot (12/30)
            and it worked great (no other version was previously installed - so i
            can't comment on upgrading).

            /Neil

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ingo Fechtel <Ingo@f...>

          • Thom Mason
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
              I'm running the Dec. 30 version on my Linkstation. The compressed
              song info transfer actually increases time for my 3600 song library
              slightly. This was what broke the Dec 29 version compile on the
              linkstation. The Dec. 30 tarball is a straightforward make install.
              You can also get the ogg support working by building the ogg vorbis
              libraries. I also got the flac libraries working (although mt-daapd
              doesn't yet support). This proved more difficult since flac 1.1.1 has
              a bug the breaks ppc compilation - you need to get the cvs version
              (which means building cvs along with newer versions of automake,
              autoconf, libtool, iconv and gettext).

              In any event the Dec. 30 version works just fine including static
              playlists and I would recommend anyone using a Linkstation use that.
              A stable 2.1 release is just around the corner.

              Thom

              wrote:
              > Interesting question. Especially since there is a version supporting
              > Playlists in the works...
              >
              > I.
              >
              > On Dec 31, 2004, at 14:32, Steve Lemke wrote:
              >
              > > "e_matibag" <rhinoed@a...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > when installing mt-daapd, it looks like it errors out.
              > > > I check to see if it is running by confirming using "ps -A" and
              list
              > > > no mt-daapd running
              > > >
              > > > here is the last lines of install message.
              > > >
              > > > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1184: relocation truncated to
              fit:
              > > > R_PPC_REL24
              > > > pthread_rwlock_rdlock
              > > > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1221: undefined reference to
              > > > `pthread_rwlock_u
              > > > nlock'
              > > > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1221: relocation truncated to
              fit:
              > > > R_PPC_REL24
              > > > pthread_rwlock_unlock
              > > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
              > > > make[2]: *** [mt-daapd] Error 1
              > > > make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src'
              > > > make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
              > > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src'
              > > > make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone know what means?
              > >
              > > Not sure. I just installed it and it worked fine, though if you look
              > > in the archives from this month you'll see a message I posted with a
              > > bunch of feedback on how the instructions might be improved somewhat.
              > >
              > > Are you sure you downloaded and properly unpacked all of the required
              > > tar files?
              > >
              > > It looks like you're using mt-daapd version 0.2.0 (the "stable"
              > > release). Looking at http://mt-daapd.sourceforge.net it appears
              there
              > > is a newer 0.2.1-pre2 dev release (from 11/26). The version I
              > > downloaded just happened to be the latest and greatest from CVS
              (since
              > > I built this before realizing there were older "stable" releases
              > > available). So, the version I'm running is cvs-20041207.
              > >
              > > Interestingly, it looks like on 12/29, compressed song info transfer
              > > was added (something I noticed was definitely lacking in previous
              > > versions with my 800+ CD collection), and on 12/30 some fixes were
              > > made
              > > for building on the LinkStation (perhaps broken on 12/29 since the
              > > 12/07 build worked fine on my Linkstation).
              > >
              > > Anyone else running the 12/30 build or later?
              > >
              > > Also, has anyone else "updated" to a newer mt-daapd after already
              > > installing and building? Is there anything tricky to know? Do I
              just
              > > download it, unpack it, and "make install" like before?
              > >
              > > Happy New Year to all...
              > > --Steve
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > > Service.

            • e_matibag
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lemke <steve@l...>
                wrote:
                > "e_matibag" <rhinoed@a...> wrote:
                >
                > > when installing mt-daapd, it looks like it errors out.
                > > I check to see if it is running by confirming using "ps -A" and
                list
                > > no mt-daapd running
                > >
                > > here is the last lines of install message.
                > >
                > > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1184: relocation truncated to
                fit:
                > > R_PPC_REL24
                > > pthread_rwlock_rdlock
                > > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1221: undefined reference to
                > > `pthread_rwlock_u
                > > nlock'
                > > /opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src/db-gdbm.c:1221: relocation truncated to
                fit:
                > > R_PPC_REL24
                > > pthread_rwlock_unlock
                > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                > > make[2]: *** [mt-daapd] Error 1
                > > make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src'
                > > make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
                > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/opt/mt-daapd-0.2.0/src'
                > > make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
                > >
                > > Does anyone know what means?
                >
                > Not sure. I just installed it and it worked fine, though if you
                look
                > in the archives from this month you'll see a message I posted with
                > bunch of feedback on how the instructions might be improved
                somewhat.

                > Are you sure you downloaded and properly unpacked all of the
                required
                > tar files?
                >
                > It looks like you're using mt-daapd version 0.2.0 (the "stable"
                > release). Looking at http://mt-daapd.sourceforge.net it appears
                there
                > is a newer 0.2.1-pre2 dev release (from 11/26). The version I
                > downloaded just happened to be the latest and greatest from CVS
                (since
                > I built this before realizing there were older "stable" releases
                > available). So, the version I'm running is cvs-20041207.
                >
                > Interestingly, it looks like on 12/29, compressed song info
                transfer
                > was added (something I noticed was definitely lacking in previous
                > versions with my 800+ CD collection), and on 12/30 some fixes were
                made
                > for building on the LinkStation (perhaps broken on 12/29 since the
                > 12/07 build worked fine on my Linkstation).
                >
                > Anyone else running the 12/30 build or later?
                >
                > Also, has anyone else "updated" to a newer mt-daapd after already
                > installing and building? Is there anything tricky to know? Do I
                just
                > download it, unpack it, and "make install" like before?
                >
                > Happy New Year to all...
                > --Steve

                Yes, I installed the all the required pacakages. Autoconf
                automake
                binutils
                bison
                glex
                g++
                gcc
                gdb
                glibc
                libgdbm
                libstdc
                m4
                make
                testutils
                I obtained these packages from revogear's website.
                installed from the root. My /usr is syslinked to /mnt/usr as not to
                fill up the root directory.

                it looks like a lpthread configurtion problem. being a newbie at
                linux. How does one that get fixed?
                would sysmlink cause that problem?
              • Steve Lemke
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005
                  Thom Mason wrote:
                  > I'm running the Dec. 30 version on my Linkstation. The compressed
                  > song info transfer actually increases time for my 3600 song library
                  > slightly. This was what broke the Dec 29 version compile on the
                  > linkstation. The Dec. 30 tarball is a straightforward make install.

                  OK, so it wasn't just me. :-)

                  I timed the earlier (December) build at 35 seconds, and timed the 12/30
                  build at over 40 seconds. I thought it seemed odd that turning on
                  compression would do this.

                  Has anyone looked at the code changes? Is it compressed on the fly
                  (perhaps slowing down the transfer on the LinkStation) and if so,
                  wouldn't it make more sense to pre-compress the list when it's built
                  after the database scan, such that the incoming list request would
                  result in a simple (and hopefully faster) transfer of a pre-built and
                  pre-compressed list?
                  --Steve