RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Flakey Connection under Windows XP SP2

  • Internet Subscriptions
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
      Andrew,

      I don't think this is an issue with the drives being spun down.

      I just accessed my LS250 through my browser, but was not able to access it
      using the Ipclient, the mapped drive, or via network neighborhood. Go
      figure.

      Matthew

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
        Hi,

        Have you tried a complete reset of the unit? I would back up your data before doing this, but the data does seem to be kept intact. If you hold down the reset button until light starts flashing, you will then find the unit resets (takes around one minute), and you are then presented with the configuration you had from the factory (plus your shares). Users will all be deleted.

        Also what firmware are you running on? It may be worth me aranging to give you 1.44 (was available on Buffalo site before it got pulled, but I have been using it successfully since it came out).

        Andrew.

        I don't think this is an issue with the drives being spun down.

        I just accessed my LS250 through my browser, but was not able to access it using the Ipclient, the mapped drive, or via network neighborhood. Go figure.

        Matthew

        what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
        more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
        logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
        backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
        it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
        now has 1.45.

        //Hans-Göran Puke

        > Hi,
        >
        > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
        > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
        > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
        > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Matthew

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Internet Subscriptions
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
          Andrew,

          I haven't tried a complete reset of the unit. I will try that -- though
          hopefully it won't erase my data, which mostly consists of the 300+ CD's I
          ripped.

          I'm at firmware v1.44, so that isn't the problem. I'm wondering if it is
          connected to the ancient version of Samba that is included with the
          Linkstation.

          Thanks,

          Matthew

          what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
          more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
          logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
          backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
          it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
          now has 1.45.

          //Hans-Göran Puke

          > Hi,
          >
          > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
          > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
          > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
          > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Matthew

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Wilson
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
            You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as
            from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes for
            1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.

            http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

            Wilson
            --- Internet Subscriptions

            === message truncated ===

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Andrew Hodgson
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
              Hi,

              I upgraded to 1.45 just now, and now my Linkstation is not responding to Telnet, HTTP or SMB requests!!! I can upload the firmware as many times as I like, all with no success. Anyone else got this issue?

              Thanks,
              Andrew.

              You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes for
              1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.

              http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

              Wilson
              --- Internet Subscriptions
              <internetsubscriptions@...> wrote:

              > Andrew,
              >
              > I haven't tried a complete reset of the unit. I will try that --
              > though hopefully it won't erase my data, which mostly consists of the
              > 300+ CD's I ripped.
              >
              > I'm at firmware v1.44, so that isn't the problem.
              > I'm wondering if it is
              > connected to the ancient version of Samba that is included with the
              > Linkstation.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Matthew

            • Marc Bizer
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                On 12/31/04 at 7:15 AM -0800, Wilson wrote:
                >You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as
                >from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes for
                >1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.
                >
                >http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

                I tried to translate this using Babelfish but got an error. Does
                anyone know what this page says in English?

                This company's support for English-language users is just appalling!

                --Marc
              • Wilson
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                  oh..sorry that I'm not telling you to upgrade with the
                  japanese firmware as Buffalo USA also has their
                  english firmware 1.45.

                  I just show you the page that in the change log, it
                  said it has some fix from 1.44 to 1.45...so just
                  advice you to upgrade to 1.45.

                  Also there's several versions of 1.45..and the latest
                  one doesn't support telnet.

                  Wilson
                  --- Wilson <sonsondei@...> wrote:

                  > You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as
                  > from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes
                  > for
                  > 1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.

                  http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

                  > Wilson
                  > --- Internet Subscriptions
                  > <internetsubscriptions@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Andrew,
                  > >
                  > > I haven't tried a complete reset of the unit. I
                  > will
                  > > try that -- though
                  > > hopefully it won't erase my data, which mostly
                  > > consists of the 300+ CD's I
                  > > ripped.
                  > >
                  > > I'm at firmware v1.44, so that isn't the problem.
                  > > I'm wondering if it is
                  > > connected to the ancient version of Samba that is
                  > > included with the
                  > > Linkstation.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Matthew

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                    Since my LS is currently down, I can't check out how
                    it is set up.

                    Are they running the nmbd service from the inetd
                    "superserver"? If so, this is the problem. nmbd
                    needs to be running all the time, otherwise this exact
                    problem happens. The smbd service can run from inetd,
                    but probably shouldn't.

                    As far as the drive shutting down, I have a desktop
                    (and some laptops) running Linux and Samba and when
                    the drives spin down on them I still get connectivity,
                    at worst there is about 20 second delay before the
                    contents of a share are shown as the drive spins back
                    up.

                    I haven't played much with XP+SP2 with Samba much, but
                    maybe there are some issues. You might do a keyword
                    search with these terms and see what comes up.

                    http://my.yahoo.com