Debian on Linkstation: Consequences

  • frank_bertling
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2004

      my LS just arrived and I am planning to install a 'real' Linux like
      Debian (or Gentoo, but haven't found a real Howto for this) on it. As
      far as I understood, that is not a big problem, but my questions are:

      If I do follow

      1. Is there a way to backup the original state (e.g. with dd) or any
      other way back to the original state?
      2. What happens to the original Webconfiguration Tool? Is it gone? Can
      I still use it?
      3. I only have very little experience with Debian, but I know I have
      to put an appropriate URL to the apt.conf. Do I have to consider
      something special concerning the PPC processor (e.g special URL?)
      4. How are firmware & operating system connected? Is there a
      difference?

      Before I thank you for answering my questions I'd like to apologize,
      if some of them are not that clear, but I'm a guy from germany...:-)

      Regards
      Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
        I'm getting behind everyone here, partially because I
        got real busy with other things (like a vacation trip)
        recently, and partially because my power supply on my
        LS died somehow and I haven't figured out what the
        problem is yet.

        Anyway, the way I had Debian running on my LS (at
        least the way I had it when I produced those screen
        shots in the "pictures" section), was in a very
        strange mode where I was kind of running both the
        original LS OS and Debian at the same time! The LS
        booted in its mostly factory configuration, then I
        telnetted into it and did the "chroot" command (and
        did a second mount of /proc so various utils would
        work), and then I had Debian running in the telnet
        environment while the original LS OS was running as
        normal. I then started various things like
        xvncserver, and sshd. The result was a LS that worked
        as a normal LS (Web interface, FTP, telnet,
        filesharing, etc.) except that then you could ssh or
        xvnc into the Debian system inside at the same time.

        Even though it all worked, I'm not recommending
        running it this way. What I will be working on once I
        fix my LS is a kind of dual boot system where you can
        set a default boot between the original LS OS and
        Debian, ideally using the watchdog timer as an
        emergency fail over to the other. The original OS
        would be left mostly untouched except for this dual
        boot change so that factory updates will still work
        but then you can switch back over to pure Debian boot
        anytime you want to.

        Anyway, I just briefly looked at those instructions
        (I'll do more later) but it does look like they have
        you doing the basic "chroot" trick to get to Debian
        from the LS OS as I had done.

        You can make a Debian-only LS. I put one on a
        separate hard drive that I put in the LS for awhile
        and it worked fine too. I just feel better with the
        dual boot system even if I never use the original LS
        OS again except as an emergency backup OS.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail