Brand new Newbie How To?

  • ianmcc2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
      Can someone please post a newbie oriented How To Hack your Linkstation? I find some of
      the existing howto files kinda confusing.

      Here is where I am at.

      -I have created a user with the web interface
      -I can ftp in with that user but not as root
      -the telnet connection is refused outright, not even allowing me to login

      So what's next?
    • Hans-Göran Puke
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
        What firmware version does your Linkstation have? (You can see it from
        the Diagnostics page in the web-interface). If your LS has 1.43, like
        mine did, or 1.45-14 like some other poster had, then telnet is not
        activated at all, and you must upgrade/downgrade to a version that has
        telnet enabled. You could find 1.45-13 (with telnet enabled) from the
        Buffalos support ftp-site. It's ip-addres is 206.135.38.243 and you
        login with user=public and password=new stuff.

        Then look at my other post about upgrading for some experiences.

        Good Luck!
        Hans-Göran Puke
        Soon a "used to be a newbie"

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ianmcc2000" <talk@i...>
        wrote:

        > Can someone please post a newbie oriented How To Hack your
        Linkstation? I find some of
        > the existing howto files kinda confusing.
        >
        > Here is where I am at.
        >
        > -I have created a user with the web interface
        > -I can ftp in with that user but not as root
        > -the telnet connection is refused outright, not even allowing me to
        login

        > So what's next?
      • Dave Kristol
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
          wrote:

          > Can someone please post a newbie oriented How To Hack your
          Linkstation? I find some of
          > the existing howto files kinda confusing.
          >
          > Here is where I am at.
          >
          > -I have created a user with the web interface
          > -I can ftp in with that user but not as root
          > -the telnet connection is refused outright, not even allowing me to
          login

          > So what's next?

          You probably have an older firmware version that doesn't support
          telnet. Your first step would be to upgrade to a firmware version
          that includes telnet support. Follow the instructions carefully.
          From various reports, it's clear that it's important to connect your
          LS directly to a (Windows) PC when you do the upgrade.

          After that, follow the Howto instructions to get root access.

          Dave Kristol
        • ianmcc2000
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
            yes I am on firmware 1.43, is that a config that doesn't support telnet? Again some clearer
            FAQs on stuff like this would be a good thing.

            > From various reports, it's clear that it's important to connect your
            > LS directly to a (Windows) PC when you do the upgrade.

            Oh great I am on Mac OS X!
          • Andrew Hodgson
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004

              Yes you need to run 1.44 or 1.45 (sort of publicly released), and yes
              you need Windows to do it. I have heard some reports of people doing
              this using the Rockbox firmware, though not looked into this as have no
              need.

              Andrew.

              yes I am on firmware 1.43, is that a config that doesn't support telnet?
              Again some clearer FAQs on stuff like this would be a good thing.

              > From various reports, it's clear that it's important to connect your
              > LS directly to a (Windows) PC when you do the upgrade.

              Oh great I am on Mac OS X!

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM
            • Andrew Hodgson
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004

                Unfortunately you need to update to 1.44/1.45. 1.43 will not allow you
                to telnet in.

                Andrew.

                Can someone please post a newbie oriented How To Hack your Linkstation?
                I find some of the existing howto files kinda confusing.

                Here is where I am at.

                -I have created a user with the web interface -I can ftp in with that
                user but not as root -the telnet connection is refused outright, not
                even allowing me to login

                So what's next?

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM
              • Marc Bizer
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
                  On 12/30/04 at 5:47 PM +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
                  >Yes you need to run 1.44 or 1.45 (sort of publicly released), and yes
                  >you need Windows to do it.

                  And you can run Windows on your Mac with VirtualPC.

                  --Marc
                • Dave Kristol
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
                    wrote:

                    > yes I am on firmware 1.43, is that a config that doesn't support
                    telnet? Again some clearer
                    > FAQs on stuff like this would be a good thing.

                    Yes, 1.43 does *not* support telnet.

                    > > From various reports, it's clear that it's important to connect your
                    > > LS directly to a (Windows) PC when you do the upgrade.
                    >
                    > Oh great I am on Mac OS X!

                    I'm sympathetic. I only boot into Windows under duress. Otherwise
                    it's Macs and Linux. Some people here have reported success upgrading
                    the firmware by running VirtualPC on their Macs.

                    Dave Kristol