Flakey Connection under Windows XP SP2

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hi,

      Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
      Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
      problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
      linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.

      Thanks,

      Matthew
    • Hans-Göran Puke
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
        Matt,
        what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
        more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
        logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
        backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
        it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
        now has 1.45.

        //Hans-Göran Puke

        > Hi,
        >
        > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
        > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
        > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
        > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Matthew
      • Internet Subscriptions
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
          Hans-Göran,

          Here's what happens, and why I say "flakey":

          1). I'm connected to the three shares -- music, backup for my files, and a
          common share with my wife -- and everything is working fine. Sometime later,
          I try and access the shares and they are not available -- the error message
          is "M:\is not accessible. The network path was not found" -- this just
          happened to me. But I can access the LS250 through my web browser without
          any problems.

          2). Once I "lose" the connection, it takes anywhere from a minute to several
          hours before I can remap the shares.

          I have the Windows XP firewall turned on, but I purposely opened up all of
          the NetBIOS & samba ports.

          Any suggestions? Would upgrading to firmware v1.45 help?

          I called Buffalo's tech support, and they weren't helpful.

          Thanks,

          Matthew

          what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
          more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
          logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
          backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
          it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
          now has 1.45.

          //Hans-Göran Puke

          > Hi,
          >
          > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
          > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
          > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
          > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Matthew

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Andrew Hodgson
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
            Hi,

            This is my theory on this.

            When the Linkstation is not in use, the disk spins down. When the shares are accessed, it can take around 10-20 seconds for the disk to spin back up and be readily accessible again. This causes no problems when you access it using \\servername\share, but on a mapped drive, this may be a different kettle of fish, as Windows tends to break connections with drives far too easily, which is always why I use \\servername\share.

            Andrew.

            what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
            more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
            logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
            backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
            it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
            now has 1.45.

            //Hans-Göran Puke

            > Hi,
            >
            > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
            > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
            > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
            > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Matthew

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Internet Subscriptions
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
              Andrew,

              Your theory might be the answer, but I also have the issue that the IPSetup
              client has a very hard time finding the Linkstation -- in fact it has only
              found the LS once out of > 10 tries.

              Matthew

              what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
              more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
              logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
              backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
              it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
              now has 1.45.

              //Hans-Göran Puke

              > Hi,
              >
              > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
              > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
              > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
              > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Matthew

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Andrew Hodgson
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                Hi,

                Is this happening when the disk is spun down? I have never used that tool so can't comment. I have often wondered how much the LS is actually capable of doing whilst in the spun down state, without having the drive spin back up, causing programs such as the IP set utility to time out etc.

                Andrew.

                Your theory might be the answer, but I also have the issue that the IPSetup client has a very hard time finding the Linkstation -- in fact it has only found the LS once out of > 10 tries.

                Matthew

                what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
                more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
                logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
                backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
                it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
                now has 1.45.

                //Hans-Göran Puke

                > Hi,
                >
                > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
                > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
                > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
                > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Matthew

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Internet Subscriptions
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                  Andrew,

                  I don't think this is an issue with the drives being spun down.

                  I just accessed my LS250 through my browser, but was not able to access it
                  using the Ipclient, the mapped drive, or via network neighborhood. Go
                  figure.

                  Matthew

                  what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
                  more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
                  logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
                  backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
                  it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
                  now has 1.45.

                  //Hans-Göran Puke

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
                  > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
                  > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
                  > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Matthew

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Andrew Hodgson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                    Hi,

                    Have you tried a complete reset of the unit? I would back up your data before doing this, but the data does seem to be kept intact. If you hold down the reset button until light starts flashing, you will then find the unit resets (takes around one minute), and you are then presented with the configuration you had from the factory (plus your shares). Users will all be deleted.

                    Also what firmware are you running on? It may be worth me aranging to give you 1.44 (was available on Buffalo site before it got pulled, but I have been using it successfully since it came out).

                    Andrew.

                    I don't think this is an issue with the drives being spun down.

                    I just accessed my LS250 through my browser, but was not able to access it using the Ipclient, the mapped drive, or via network neighborhood. Go figure.

                    Matthew

                    what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
                    more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
                    logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
                    backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
                    it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
                    now has 1.45.

                    //Hans-Göran Puke

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
                    > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
                    > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
                    > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Matthew

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Internet Subscriptions
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                      Andrew,

                      I haven't tried a complete reset of the unit. I will try that -- though
                      hopefully it won't erase my data, which mostly consists of the 300+ CD's I
                      ripped.

                      I'm at firmware v1.44, so that isn't the problem. I'm wondering if it is
                      connected to the ancient version of Samba that is included with the
                      Linkstation.

                      Thanks,

                      Matthew

                      what do you mean by "flaky"? I have experienced problems to connect to
                      more than one of the shares at once, when they require different
                      logins. Apart from that, once a connection is made, it seems solid. I
                      backed up everything on the LS to my PC before upgrading the flash and
                      it went smoothly. Mine is a LS120 and had 1.43 before the upgrade and
                      now has 1.45.

                      //Hans-Göran Puke

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Has anyone else experienced flakey network connections to their
                      > Linkstation (HD250, firmware v1.44) under Windows XP SP2? I have no
                      > problem getting to the Linkstation using my browser, but mapping a
                      > linkstation share to a drive letter is very flakey.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Matthew

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Wilson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                        You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as
                        from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes for
                        1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.

                        http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

                        Wilson
                        --- Internet Subscriptions

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://my.yahoo.com
                      • Andrew Hodgson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                          Hi,

                          I upgraded to 1.45 just now, and now my Linkstation is not responding to Telnet, HTTP or SMB requests!!! I can upload the firmware as many times as I like, all with no success. Anyone else got this issue?

                          Thanks,
                          Andrew.

                          You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes for
                          1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.

                          http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

                          Wilson
                          --- Internet Subscriptions
                          <internetsubscriptions@...> wrote:

                          > Andrew,
                          >
                          > I haven't tried a complete reset of the unit. I will try that --
                          > though hopefully it won't erase my data, which mostly consists of the
                          > 300+ CD's I ripped.
                          >
                          > I'm at firmware v1.44, so that isn't the problem.
                          > I'm wondering if it is
                          > connected to the ancient version of Samba that is included with the
                          > Linkstation.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Matthew

                        • Marc Bizer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                            On 12/31/04 at 7:15 AM -0800, Wilson wrote:
                            >You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as
                            >from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes for
                            >1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.
                            >
                            >http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

                            I tried to translate this using Babelfish but got an error. Does
                            anyone know what this page says in English?

                            This company's support for English-language users is just appalling!

                            --Marc
                          • Wilson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                              oh..sorry that I'm not telling you to upgrade with the
                              japanese firmware as Buffalo USA also has their
                              english firmware 1.45.

                              I just show you the page that in the change log, it
                              said it has some fix from 1.44 to 1.45...so just
                              advice you to upgrade to 1.45.

                              Also there's several versions of 1.45..and the latest
                              one doesn't support telnet.

                              Wilson
                              --- Wilson <sonsondei@...> wrote:

                              > You should consider to upgrade to firmware 1.45..as
                              > from this japanese buffalo web site...the changes
                              > for
                              > 1.45 is supposed to fix problem for WinXP SP2.

                              http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-hlan-ver1.html

                              > Wilson
                              > --- Internet Subscriptions
                              > <internetsubscriptions@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Andrew,
                              > >
                              > > I haven't tried a complete reset of the unit. I
                              > will
                              > > try that -- though
                              > > hopefully it won't erase my data, which mostly
                              > > consists of the 300+ CD's I
                              > > ripped.
                              > >
                              > > I'm at firmware v1.44, so that isn't the problem.
                              > > I'm wondering if it is
                              > > connected to the ancient version of Samba that is
                              > > included with the
                              > > Linkstation.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > >
                              > > Matthew

                              === message truncated ===

                              http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                                Since my LS is currently down, I can't check out how
                                it is set up.

                                Are they running the nmbd service from the inetd
                                "superserver"? If so, this is the problem. nmbd
                                needs to be running all the time, otherwise this exact
                                problem happens. The smbd service can run from inetd,
                                but probably shouldn't.

                                As far as the drive shutting down, I have a desktop
                                (and some laptops) running Linux and Samba and when
                                the drives spin down on them I still get connectivity,
                                at worst there is about 20 second delay before the
                                contents of a share are shown as the drive spins back
                                up.

                                I haven't played much with XP+SP2 with Samba much, but
                                maybe there are some issues. You might do a keyword
                                search with these terms and see what comes up.

                                http://my.yahoo.com