Recognizing Long File Names When Networking Mac OS X Panther

  • calvin954
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2004
      I'm using my LinkStation as a networked media drive for storing and
      accessing music and photos. Network consists of a Windows XP system
      and Mac G4 running OS X Panther. I've burned all my CD's to the
      LinkStation under Windows using Media player WMA Lossless with long
      descriptive file names (track, album, artist, song, category, sample
      rate). Unfortunately, the Mac cannot recognize any of the files
      residing on the LinkStation with long file names. However the Mac
      has no problem recognizing these files from a USB drive. The Buffalo
      tech guys say this is a known problem, but have no solution. Other
      than truncating the file names does anyone have any suggestions?
    • Ingo Fechtel
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 2004
        Run netatalk 2.0.1

        My How-To is in the Files-section, there are still a couple things I
        need to do to it after getting some mails about what I could improve,
        but basically it should tell you the way to go. I am using my LS over
        the network with long long long filenames AND big files (my
        backup-files usually are some 18GB big).

        I.

        On Dec 28, 2004, at 19:21, calvin954 wrote:

        > I'm using my LinkStation as a networked media drive for storing and
        > accessing music and photos. Network consists of a Windows XP system
        > and Mac G4 running OS X Panther. I've burned all my CD's to the
        > LinkStation under Windows using Media player WMA Lossless with long
        > descriptive file names (track, album, artist, song, category, sample
        > rate).  Unfortunately, the Mac cannot recognize any of the files
        > residing on the LinkStation with long file names. However the Mac
        > has no problem recognizing these files from a USB drive. The Buffalo
        > tech guys say this is a known problem, but have no solution. Other
        > than truncating the file names does anyone have any suggestions?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Service.

      • ianmcc2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ingo Fechtel <Ingo@f...> wrote:
          > Run netatalk 2.0.1
          >
          > My How-To is in the Files-section, there are still a couple things I
          > need to do to it after getting some mails about what I could improve,
          > but basically it should tell you the way to go. I am using my LS over
          > the network with long long long filenames AND big files (my
          > backup-files usually are some 18GB big).

          Or if thats overwhelming, and you don't have anything valuable on the box, re-do
          everything using this Mac oriented disk image. I ran this on my KuroBox and it works
          great! In fact I'd say running this on a Kuro is easier than hacking a Linkstation!
        • Marc Bizer
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
            On 12/30/04 at 1:37 PM +0000, ianmcc2000 wrote:
            >Or if thats overwhelming, and you don't have anything valuable on
            >the box, re-do everything using this Mac oriented disk image. I ran
            >this on my KuroBox and it works great! In fact I'd say running this
            >on a Kuro is easier than hacking a Linkstation!

            Which "Mac-oriented disk image" are you referring to? Where is it?

            --Marc
          • ianmcc2000
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
              > Which "Mac-oriented disk image" are you referring to? Where is it?

              sorry I forgot to include the link!:

              http://homepage.mac.com/cudmore/KuroBox/FileSharing44.html
            • Marc Bizer
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
                On 12/30/04 at 2:46 PM +0000, ianmcc2000 wrote:
                >sorry I forgot to include the link!:
                >
                >http://homepage.mac.com/cudmore/KuroBox/FileSharing44.html

                Questions:

                1) Will this work on a Linkstation?
                2) Does this include Netatalk 2.0.1?
                3) How do we install it?

                --Marc
              • Ingo Fechtel
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
                  I guess it's t he one on revogear. I would not advise to do it. Maybe I
                  did something wrong and it was my fault, but that is exactly what I did
                  when I fried my first LS... Apart from that, the instructions for this
                  image tell you to exchange this image-file with the one that comes with
                  the Kuro. Which will not work, because those images seem to be in a
                  different format, since the installer will not put it on the LS.

                  If there is something new, let me know, installing an image (which
                  works) would be a whole lot easier :)

                  I.