LinkStation sensitive to cell phone radio waves?

  • born_daniel
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2004
      I just had my LinkStation completely freeze on me when I received a
      call on my cell phone which was about 2 feet away from the LS (I'm
      assuming it's related?). I had to unplug it to recover it. Anybody
      else seen this?

      First I heard the drive spin down, spin up and back down again,
      within a few seconds and then it was completely not responding
      (ping, telnet, web interface, slimserver, samba connection), even
      the power button wasn't doing anything. I unplugged it for 10
      seconds and once power was restored, I was able to power it up and
      it was back to normal.

      My only explanation is that the radio waves emitted by the cell
      phone as the call came in, overloaded the LS circuitry.

      Any insight?

      Daniel
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
        In the old "Analog" cell phone days (in which the
        phones had more powerful transmitters), I could stop a
        CD player from playing by calling a cell phone near
        the player. Unfortuantlely I found this out when I
        was doing some work in a live radio studio!

        I guess you need a radiation-hardened LinkStation.

        --- born_daniel <born_daniel@...> wrote:

        > I just had my LinkStation completely freeze on me
        > when I received a
        > call on my cell phone which was about 2 feet away
        > from the LS (I'm
        > assuming it's related?). I had to unplug it to
        > recover it. Anybody
        > else seen this?
        >
        > First I heard the drive spin down, spin up and back
        > down again,
        > within a few seconds and then it was completely not
        > responding
        > (ping, telnet, web interface, slimserver, samba
        > connection), even
        > the power button wasn't doing anything. I unplugged
        > it for 10
        > seconds and once power was restored, I was able to
        > power it up and
        > it was back to normal.
        >
        > My only explanation is that the radio waves emitted
        > by the cell
        > phone as the call came in, overloaded the LS
        > circuitry.
        >
        > Any insight?
        >
        > Daniel

        =====
        Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

        Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250