Buffalo DriveStations - $80.00 Rebate thru 10/14/04

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
      For those wanting to add more storage to their LinkStations Buffalo is again offering $80.00 rebates on selected DriveStations thru 10/14/04. It seems this rebate may only be available thru Fry's Outpost as the Buffalo website says that there are currently no promotions available for the month of October.

      JR
    • dtaub001
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 21, 2004
        I decided to take advantage of this offer and picked up the 250GB model.

        The damn thing doesn't work with my LinkStation! Looking at the
        kernel source and the /var/log/messages output, I'm guessing that
        scan_scsis_single() fails to find the drive on the usb-storage "host"
        interface.

        Works fine plugged into my SuSE 9.1 machines, however...

        Anybody else notice that Buffalo seems to have removed the 1.44
        firmware upgrade from their web site?

        Derek

        <jronald@c...> wrote:
        > For those wanting to add more storage to their LinkStations Buffalo
        is again offering $80.00 rebates on selected DriveStations thru
        10/14/04. It seems this rebate may only be available thru Fry's
        Outpost as the Buffalo website says that there are currently no
        promotions available for the month of October.

        > http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4194083?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
        > http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4194093?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
        >
        > JR
      • Rick Flower
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 21, 2004
          I believe I've got the 1.44 firmware update if you can't find it
          anywhere.. I got it from their Singapore site
          at the following place :

          http://asia.buffalotech.com/download/index.php?c=sg

          -- Rick

          On Oct 21, 2004, at 4:39 PM, dtaub001 wrote:

          > I decided to take advantage of this offer and picked up the 250GB
          > model.
          >
          > The damn thing doesn't work with my LinkStation! Looking at the
          > kernel source and the /var/log/messages output, I'm guessing that
          > scan_scsis_single() fails to find the drive on the usb-storage "host"
          > interface.
          >
          > Works fine plugged into my SuSE 9.1 machines, however...
          >
          > Anybody else notice that Buffalo seems to have removed the 1.44
          > firmware upgrade from their web site?
          >
          > Derek
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
          > <jronald@c...> wrote:
          >> For those wanting to add more storage to their LinkStations Buffalo
          > is again offering $80.00 rebates on selected DriveStations thru
          > 10/14/04. It seems this rebate may only be available thru Fry's
          > Outpost as the Buffalo website says that there are currently no
          > promotions available for the month of October.
          >>
          >> http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4194083?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
          >> http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4194093?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
          >>
          >> JR
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • tad94564
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 21, 2004
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
            wrote:
            > I believe I've got the 1.44 firmware update if you can't find it
            > anywhere.. I got it from their Singapore site
            > at the following place :
            >
            > http://asia.buffalotech.com/download/index.php?c=sg
            >
            > -- Rick
            >
            > On Oct 21, 2004, at 4:39 PM, dtaub001 wrote:
            >
            > > Anybody else notice that Buffalo seems to have removed the 1.44
            > > firmware upgrade from their web site?

            http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/LS%20144%20Firm%20Final.zip

            You can't see it - just have to go for it! I downloaded it last
            night.

            thomas
          • mphoust2
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 22, 2004
              I had a similar problem. The disk would show up as USBDISK1, but
              would be mounted read-only. (with 1.44 firmware).

              I found the solution by switching the manual/auto switch on the back
              to auto and then re-booting the Linkstation. Not sure why that would
              matter, but it might be related to the auto settings way of powering
              down when the USB is not connected. Maybe it doesn't power up quickly
              enough.

              The manual (ok, the 4 page brochure :) sent with the drivestation says
              you need to connect the drivestation, then power up the linkstation.
              Seems a little odd for a USB drive, but it worked (eventually).

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 22, 2004
                It took a few tries for me to get it to work as well. I think that powering
                up the DriveStation with the auto/manual switch in Manual position before
                powering up the DriveStation is what did the trick. Then format it once
                USBDISK1 shows up as a choice.

                JR

                > I had a similar problem. The disk would show up as USBDISK1, but
                > would be mounted read-only. (with 1.44 firmware).
                >
                > I found the solution by switching the manual/auto switch on the back
                > to auto and then re-booting the Linkstation. Not sure why that would
                > matter, but it might be related to the auto settings way of powering
                > down when the USB is not connected. Maybe it doesn't power up quickly
                > enough.
                >
                > The manual (ok, the 4 page brochure :) sent with the drivestation says
                > you need to connect the drivestation, then power up the linkstation.
                > Seems a little odd for a USB drive, but it worked (eventually).
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>
                > wrote:
                >>

                >> I decided to take advantage of this offer and picked up the 250GB model.
                >>
                >> The damn thing doesn't work with my LinkStation! Looking at the
                >> kernel source and the /var/log/messages output, I'm guessing that
                >> scan_scsis_single() fails to find the drive on the usb-storage "host"
                >> interface.
                >>
                >> Works fine plugged into my SuSE 9.1 machines, however...
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • dtaub001
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2004
                  Mine's working now; I think I got to the bottom of it...

                  USB hotswap is quite messed up in this version of Hard Hat Linux. If
                  you plug the DriveStation into a powered up Linkstation, it will lock
                  up the DriveStation in the middle of an emulated SCSI transation (and
                  the DriveStation access light will light up red and stay that way).
                  At this point, you can reboot the Linkstation as many times as you
                  want, but it won't work until the DriveStation is rebooted WITH THE
                  LINKSTATION OFF.

                  You should have the best luck by powering off everything, connecting
                  the DriveStation to the Linkstation, then powering up the DriveStation
                  followed by the Linkstation. Auto/manual either way...

                  FWIW, the access light comes on red for USB2.0 and green for USB1.1.

                  Derek

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 24, 2004
                    wrote:

                    > USB hotswap is quite messed up in this version of Hard Hat Linux.
                    If
                    > you plug the DriveStation into a powered up Linkstation, it will
                    lock
                    > up the DriveStation in the middle of an emulated SCSI transation
                    (and
                    > the DriveStation access light will light up red and stay that way).
                    > At this point, you can reboot the Linkstation as many times as you
                    > want, but it won't work until the DriveStation is rebooted WITH THE
                    > LINKSTATION OFF.

                    Ah, that's right.. linux-2.4 kernel has hot plug issues with hot
                    plugging scsi drives, which the USB subsystem uses. Plugging a drive
                    in, and then removing it.. and then plugging it again, could mean it
                    would not be recognized till you forced a scsi bus scan again.

                    This problem has been fixed in linux-2.6 kernels. Time to explore
                    moving to a linux-2.6 kernel.
                  • stratmoens
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2005
                      Below is part of a discussion related to using the Buffalo's
                      DriveStation with the LinkStation. The author suggests that the
                      DriveStation's auto/manual switch can be in the auto position to
                      permit the DS's power to be controlled by the LS.

                      What I'm finding with the latest LS software (v1.45) is that if auto
                      is selected the DS's access light comes on red during LS/DS startup
                      and stays that way until the DS is powered cycled. It appears that a
                      USB bus transaction fails and hangs the USB bus. Obviously access to
                      the drive from the LS is impossible in this state. If the DS's
                      switch is set to manual (e.g. drive spins at all times) the problem
                      is resolved and the drive is mounted to /mnt2/usbdisk1.

                      Does anyone that is currently reading this list have a solution to
                      employing the DS in auto mode with LS?

                      As a side note you can export via Samba a FAT32 drive by simply
                      creating a symbolic link from the mount point to the share (e.g. ln -
                      s /mnt2/usbdisk1 /mnt/ExtDrive). Upon reboot of the LS, ExtDrive
                      will show up as a share and can be configured from the web based
                      management, just like the LS's internal drive.

                      Also Outpost.com and Fry's have the DS 250GB for $159 w/ rebate for
                      the next month.

                      <taubert@g...> wrote:

                      > Mine's working now; I think I got to the bottom of it...
                      >
                      > USB hotswap is quite messed up in this version of Hard Hat Linux.
                      If
                      > you plug the DriveStation into a powered up Linkstation, it will
                      lock
                      > up the DriveStation in the middle of an emulated SCSI transation
                      (and
                      > the DriveStation access light will light up red and stay that
                      way).
                      > At this point, you can reboot the Linkstation as many times as you
                      > want, but it won't work until the DriveStation is rebooted WITH THE
                      > LINKSTATION OFF.
                      >
                      > You should have the best luck by powering off everything,
                      connecting
                      > the DriveStation to the Linkstation, then powering up the
                      DriveStation
                      > followed by the Linkstation. Auto/manual either way...
                      >
                      > FWIW, the access light comes on red for USB2.0 and green for
                      USB1.1.

                      > Derek
                    • irvine_stock
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 6, 2005
                        I gave up trying to fix the auto position and switched it to
                        manual. Tech support was no help. Since both products are made by
                        them, you would think it would be a quick fix. I did not see any
                        version of the firmware fixing it.
                        I only have the second drive for backup of the first. Does anybody
                        know how to restore it if it does crash. I saw no mention of it in
                        that so called "manual".

                        As you mentioned FAT32 can be made to work with a simple link. But
                        I wanted to mention if the power is interrupted during writes the
                        drive data could easily be corrupted. That was the reason given for
                        using "EXT3" in the Linux world which will not have this problem.
                        But I think NFS would also have worked. I used the FAT trick
                        mentioned to mount by USBflash stick. It should be a standard
                        option for the front USB connector.
                        Rich
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"