Re: If you have trouble hacking into the LinkStation, here's a suggestion

  • irvine_stock
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2004
      I have found that editing the passwd file does not work very well
      for most people. Most of the reasons are because vi is about the
      only editor that can be used and most people can't use it.
      With the TERM=ansi as default its impossible to use without changing
      TERM to VT100.
      Most folks use a dos based editor and ctrl-M gets inserted after
      everyline. This will kill the password file pretty much since the
      bash shell can't get loaded anymore.
      It's just too error prone for rookies.
      So I suggest cracking the password a different way. Put this in
      the 'cgi=bin3' directory file.

      #!/usr/bin/perl
      system('echo "myroot::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash" >> /etc/passwd');

      This adds myroot to the end of the passwd file without any editing
      or changing the passwd chmod. Saves a few steps I think too.
      Just make sure myroot is not in the file already.

      Then login as myroot with no password. Your in.
      What do you think?

      Rich

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "andrewdornbusch"
      <yahdrew@a...> wrote:

      > I upgraded my firmware from 1.43 to 1.45 and tried to hack the root
      > password file per the instructions in the files area of this
      forum.
      > For some undetermined reason, executing the shell script (to change
      > write permissions for the password file) from my browser (Mozilla)
      was