Apache Server on LinkStation

  • downieabz
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 27, 2004
      I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
      successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server on
      my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything about
      this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
      successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any instructions.

      I got my LinkStation as a Christmas present from my wife (I did give
      her some assistance in identifying a suitable present) and want to use
      it as a low power, always on, web server for my family history website
      (low traffic volume via ADSL). The site is live on my home network
      right now.

      I've documented most of the process but it is a bit verbose because it
      includes all my mistakes. These have been caused partly by my own
      ignorance and partly by following instructions (some in this
      discussion group) which are missing essential steps or informaiton.
      These things are probably completely obvious to a Linux expert but not
      to someone whose last attempt at compiling anything was an 8086
      assembly language program in 1984.

      The actual compilation and installation of Apache was easy - it was
      all the stuff I needed to do first which caused all the trouble. This
      stuff will be needed by anyone who wants to install anything.

      Two things that stand out are the need to update grep from 2.4.2 to
      2.5 as there is a bug in the default 2.4.2 which breaks the PHP
      installer (I've not reached that point yet) and which may affect the
      Apache install; and the need to run Apache on another port apart from
      the default 80, which is used by the LinkStation's internal web server
      for the Admin interface. I'm glad to be able to report that running
      Apache on port 81 does not interfere with the Admin server.

      Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm willing
      to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd also be
      very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a look
      at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied it up,
      I will post it in the How To section.

      Cheers

      Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
    • David Walters
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 27, 2004
        On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 11:27:44AM -0000, downieabz wrote:
        > and the need to run Apache on another port apart from
        > the default 80, which is used by the LinkStation's internal web server
        > for the Admin interface. I'm glad to be able to report that running
        > Apache on port 81 does not interfere with the Admin server.

        It might make more sense to run the admin interface on a different
        port. Just edit /etc/thttpd.conf

        David
      • Dave Kristol
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 27, 2004
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, David Walters <david@j...>
          wrote:
          > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 11:27:44AM -0000, downieabz wrote:
          > > and the need to run Apache on another port apart from
          > > the default 80, which is used by the LinkStation's internal web server
          > > for the Admin interface. I'm glad to be able to report that running
          > > Apache on port 81 does not interfere with the Admin server.
          >
          > It might make more sense to run the admin interface on a different
          > port. Just edit /etc/thttpd.conf

          Alternatively, run Apache on a more commonly used (for web servers)
          port, such as 8000. This would have the advantage that you would not
          have to start the web server as root (because the port is >1023).

          Dave Kristol
        • downieabz
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 27, 2004
            Thanks, guys. I'm having trouble getting the internet to see the site
            through my router even with NAPT set to translate the WAN address on
            port 80 to the LAN address of the LinkStation on either port 81 or
            8080. Both ports work internally on the LAN. I noticed the reference
            to running Apache as root in the httpd.conf file but didn't know how
            to do that.

            For that reason, the idea of changing the admin port away from 80
            seems a good one as I have no trouble connecting from outside to an
            Apache server on port 80 on my PC or Mac. The ADSL router (Alcatel
            SpeedTouch 530) has a default server command which sorts out the
            details automatically given the IP address of the server. Can the
            admin server be restarted by a command or do I need to switch it off
            and on again?

            Cheers

            Ian Downie

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
            <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, David Walters
            <david@j...>
            > wrote:
            > > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 11:27:44AM -0000, downieabz wrote:
            > > > and the need to run Apache on another port apart from
            > > > the default 80, which is used by the LinkStation's internal web
            server
            > > > for the Admin interface. I'm glad to be able to report that
            running
            > > > Apache on port 81 does not interfere with the Admin server.
            > >
            > > It might make more sense to run the admin interface on a
            different
            > > port. Just edit /etc/thttpd.conf
            >
            > Alternatively, run Apache on a more commonly used (for web servers)
            > port, such as 8000. This would have the advantage that you would
            not
            > have to start the web server as root (because the port is >1023).
            >
            > Dave Kristol
          • irvine_stock
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 27, 2004
              Maybe changing your Linkstation webpage to something besides 80
              would be easier. Most folks on the outside would default to port 80
              anyway. Might make it difficult for them to get into your site.
              If you LS web access is 81 only you would be effected.
              Food for thought.

              Rich
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
              <ian.downie@t...> wrote:

              > Thanks, guys. I'm having trouble getting the internet to see the
              site
              > through my router even with NAPT set to translate the WAN address
              on
              > port 80 to the LAN address of the LinkStation on either port 81 or
              > 8080. Both ports work internally on the LAN. I noticed the
              reference
              > to running Apache as root in the httpd.conf file but didn't know
              how
              > to do that.
              >
              > For that reason, the idea of changing the admin port away from 80
              > seems a good one as I have no trouble connecting from outside to an
              > Apache server on port 80 on my PC or Mac. The ADSL router (Alcatel
              > SpeedTouch 530) has a default server command which sorts out the
              > details automatically given the IP address of the server. Can the
              > admin server be restarted by a command or do I need to switch it
              off
              > and on again?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Ian Downie
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
              > <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, David Walters
              > <david@j...>
              > > wrote:
              > server
              > running
              > > >
              > > > It might make more sense to run the admin interface on a
              > different
              > > > port. Just edit /etc/thttpd.conf
              > >
              > > Alternatively, run Apache on a more commonly used (for web
              servers)
              > > port, such as 8000. This would have the advantage that you would
              > not
              > > have to start the web server as root (because the port is >1023).
              > >
              > > Dave Kristol
            • David Walters
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 27, 2004
                On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 10:00:11PM -0000, downieabz wrote:
                > Can the
                > admin server be restarted by a command or do I need to switch it off
                > and on again?

                Most of the services can be started, stopped and restarted using a
                script in /etc/rc.d/init.d. In this case
                /etc/rc.d/init.d/thttpd restart
                should do the trick.

                David
                --
                A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
                Q. Why is top posting bad?
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 31, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 10:00:11PM -0000, downieabz wrote:
                  > > Can the
                  > > admin server be restarted by a command or do I need to switch it
                  off
                  > > and on again?
                  >
                  > Most of the services can be started, stopped and restarted using a
                  > script in /etc/rc.d/init.d. In this case
                  > /etc/rc.d/init.d/thttpd restart
                  > should do the trick.
                  >
                  > David

                  OK, I have established that I have a problem connecting the
                  LinkStation to the internet. I have modified thttpd.conf to make the
                  built in admin server run on port 81 and have changed the Apache
                  server port back to the default 80.

                  The site can be reached from any computer on my local network by
                  entering http://LINKSTATION or http://<IP address of LinkStation> in a
                  browser but not from a computer outside by entering the correct domain
                  name http://www.downieabz.com (I'm connecting via a proxy server to
                  check that). When I try to ping a valid IP address out there on the
                  internet from the LinkStation, I get an error 'Network is
                  unreachable'. If I change my router setting to point at a different
                  internal Apache server on one of my computers, my website comes up on
                  the internet.

                  Checking the Apache access log and error log shows that the only
                  attempts to access the LinkStation Apache server have come from local
                  IP addresses (not including the ADSL modem/router).

                  It occurs to me either that something built in to the LinkStation is
                  blocking access to the internet (that would make sense as you wouldn't
                  want your linkstation admin page to be accessible to everyone) or that
                  I am missing a vital component which needs to be added for internet
                  access. Can anyone help me fix this?

                  Ian
                • Tom Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 31, 2004
                    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:40:02 -0000, downieabz <ian.downie@...> wrote:
                    > When I try to ping a valid IP address out there on the
                    > internet from the LinkStation, I get an error 'Network is
                    > unreachable'.

                    Did you enter an IP address manually? If so, make sure you set
                    Default Gateway. I had neglected to do that, and the Linkstation
                    couldn't reach an NTP server. In my case, I set the Default Gateway
                    Address to 192.168.1.1 and things worked after that.
                  • downieabz
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 1, 2005
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tom Smith <yotommy@g...>
                      wrote:
                      > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:40:02 -0000, downieabz <ian.downie@t...>
                      wrote:
                      > > When I try to ping a valid IP address out there on the
                      > > internet from the LinkStation, I get an error 'Network is
                      > > unreachable'.
                      >
                      > Did you enter an IP address manually? If so, make sure you set
                      > Default Gateway. I had neglected to do that, and the Linkstation
                      > couldn't reach an NTP server. In my case, I set the Default Gateway
                      > Address to 192.168.1.1 and things worked after that.

                      I thought it was something simple. Yes, I didn't read the instructions
                      in the manual properly - I couldn't reach an NTP server either. I made
                      the IP address of my router the Default Gateway Address, and now my
                      LinkStation is a fully fledged web server. Thanks very much.

                      Ian Downie
                    • onurd
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 25, 2005
                        I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
                        installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
                        sucessfully install php?

                        <ian.downie@t...> wrote:

                        > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
                        > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
                        on
                        > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything about
                        > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
                        > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
                        instructions.

                        > I got my LinkStation as a Christmas present from my wife (I did
                        give
                        > her some assistance in identifying a suitable present) and want to
                        use
                        > it as a low power, always on, web server for my family history
                        website
                        > (low traffic volume via ADSL). The site is live on my home network
                        > right now.
                        >
                        > I've documented most of the process but it is a bit verbose
                        because it
                        > includes all my mistakes. These have been caused partly by my own
                        > ignorance and partly by following instructions (some in this
                        > discussion group) which are missing essential steps or informaiton.
                        > These things are probably completely obvious to a Linux expert but
                        not
                        > to someone whose last attempt at compiling anything was an 8086
                        > assembly language program in 1984.
                        >
                        > The actual compilation and installation of Apache was easy - it was
                        > all the stuff I needed to do first which caused all the trouble.
                        This
                        > stuff will be needed by anyone who wants to install anything.
                        >
                        > Two things that stand out are the need to update grep from 2.4.2 to
                        > 2.5 as there is a bug in the default 2.4.2 which breaks the PHP
                        > installer (I've not reached that point yet) and which may affect
                        the
                        > Apache install; and the need to run Apache on another port apart
                        from
                        > the default 80, which is used by the LinkStation's internal web
                        server
                        > for the Admin interface. I'm glad to be able to report that running
                        > Apache on port 81 does not interfere with the Admin server.
                        >
                        > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
                        willing
                        > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
                        also be
                        > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
                        look
                        > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied it
                        up,
                        > I will post it in the How To section.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
                      • downieabz
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 26, 2005
                          To be honest, I got only a couple of responses to that post, both from
                          novices. There has been another post suggesting that installing PHP
                          slows the LS down to a crawl because of the restricted RAM so I have
                          not gone through that. I discovered I had compiled Apache without DSO
                          support so would need to recompile it to allow me to add PHP, but I'm
                          not sure whether that applies with Apache 2.

                          You can read the state of play here: http://www.downieabz.com/Apache/
                          - that's my LinkStation - but I have been too busy at work to do any
                          more with the LinkStation for a couple of months.

                          By the way, the server had been up continuously from 16 January until
                          yesterday, when I had to cut the power to everything in order to shut
                          down my Windows XP box, so the LinkStation appears quite happy as a
                          (very) low volume web server.

                          I'm still interested in constructive feedback from anyone who knows
                          what they are doing ....

                          Ian

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "onurd" <onurd@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
                          > installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
                          > sucessfully install php?
                          >
                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
                          > <ian.downie@t...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
                          > > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
                          > on
                          > > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything
                          about
                          > > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
                          > > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
                          > instructions.

                          > > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
                          > willing
                          > > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
                          > also be
                          > > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
                          > look
                          > > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied
                          it
                          > up,
                          > > I will post it in the How To section.
                          > >
                          > > Cheers
                          > >
                          > > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
                        • ardper
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 28, 2005
                            Do you really think that the LinkStation will not be able to cope with
                            PHP?

                            I did a lot of research on both the Linkstation and the NSLU2 before I
                            bought my Linkstation last week... I originally liked the NSLU2
                            because the hacking community is well developed. But the Linkstation
                            is so easy to get going with - and has twice the memory.

                            Anyway, it is possible to run Apache, and PHP on the NSLU2.

                            More to the point, besides streaming music to a UPnP player, I wanted
                            the Linkstation to host all of my photos, and serve them to client PCs.

                            The software I am considering is called "Gallery" and requires Apache,
                            and PHP.

                            The software works on a NSLU2 - so surely will work on a Linkstation?!!

                            I will let you know if I get it working; at present i am trying to
                            choose between Gallery (which requires PHP) and IDS (which is Perl
                            based)...

                            (See this link)
                            http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26692&highlight=nslu2&sid=8805fd7143539e0fa868440059fe8ad7

                            Is there any reason why the Linkstation should not be able to cope
                            with this when the NSLU2 can?

                            As an aside, thanks to all you guys for your help and advice. I got
                            a Linkstation from EBuyer in the UK for £130 and its great..! I have
                            NFS and Twonkyvision running at the moment, networked to my MEPIS
                            Linux Laptop and PC, all works like a dream!

                            Am really getting into this Linux stuff and can't wait to say goodbye
                            to Windows... but my missus insists on using "Word" despite OpenOffice
                            being just as good, so will have to live with a Windows parition for a
                            while longer yet...

                            All the best

                            Adam.

                            <ian.downie@t...> wrote:

                            > To be honest, I got only a couple of responses to that post, both from
                            > novices. There has been another post suggesting that installing PHP
                            > slows the LS down to a crawl because of the restricted RAM so I have
                            > not gone through that. I discovered I had compiled Apache without DSO
                            > support so would need to recompile it to allow me to add PHP, but I'm
                            > not sure whether that applies with Apache 2.
                            >
                            > You can read the state of play here: http://www.downieabz.com/Apache/
                            > - that's my LinkStation - but I have been too busy at work to do any
                            > more with the LinkStation for a couple of months.
                            >
                            > By the way, the server had been up continuously from 16 January until
                            > yesterday, when I had to cut the power to everything in order to shut
                            > down my Windows XP box, so the LinkStation appears quite happy as a
                            > (very) low volume web server.
                            >
                            > I'm still interested in constructive feedback from anyone who knows
                            > what they are doing ....
                            >
                            > Ian
                            >
                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "onurd" <onurd@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I've successfully installed Apache 2.53 but I didn't have any luck
                            > > installing PHP. I've tried PHP 4.3 and 5.0.3 and no luck. Did you
                            > > sucessfully install php?
                            > >
                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downieabz"
                            > > <ian.downie@t...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I've just gone through a very steep learning curve and have
                            > > > successfully compiled and installed a basic Apache 1.3 web server
                            > > on
                            > > > my LinkStation. I don't think anyone else has posted anything
                            > about
                            > > > this - I found one message early on saying that someone had
                            > > > successfully installed Apache 2 but it didn't give any
                            > > instructions.

                            > > > Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, I'm
                            > > willing
                            > > > to share my documentation in return for some proofreading. I'd
                            > > also be
                            > > > very happy for someone with more Unix/Linux experience to have a
                            > > look
                            > > > at it in case I have made any stupid mistakes. Once I've tidied
                            > it
                            > > up,
                            > > > I will post it in the How To section.
                            > > >
                            > > > Cheers
                            > > >
                            > > > Ian in Aberdeen, Scotland
                          • Nat Fairbanks
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 29, 2005
                              I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
                              fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget you
                              also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
                              Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
                              much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
                              services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
                              (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
                              http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/

                              -Nat
                            • Frenchy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                                Two thumbs up Nat! Your gallery is slick with php.

                                You most likely have the most loaded LStation now. You managed to max
                                out the 64MB RAM (swapping). Are these tools memory hogs /CPU
                                intensive?

                                (I have been in Fairbanks once during November... I won't forget how
                                fast and skillfuly people can drive on ice with no spikes. All the
                                cars in the parking lot with engine runing while at the movies or
                                shopping.)

                                I am curious as to how you protect your server from internet
                                intrusions /destruction?

                                What firewall solution do you use? (Tiny_Proxy is not a FW.)

                                Sam.
                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nat Fairbanks
                                <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
                                > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
                                > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget you
                                > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
                                > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
                                > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
                                > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
                                > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
                                > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
                                >
                                > -Nat
                              • ardper
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                                  Thankyou for your reply.

                                  I have read through all the posts on this forum and yes, lighttpd
                                  looks like a better solution than Apache. I wasn't aware of fastcgi,
                                  so thanks for the tip!

                                  The reason I am considering Gallery is that I store all of my digital
                                  photographs on my Linkstation and I would like a quick/easy way to
                                  browse thumbnails, over my home (Wifi) LAN.

                                  An alternative product I am considering is IDS.
                                  [ http://ids.sourceforge.net/ ]

                                  IDS looks like it just needs Perl and a webserver (such as lighttpd)

                                  I'll let you know how I get on...!

                                  Regards

                                  Adam.

                                  <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
                                  > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
                                  > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget
                                  you
                                  > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
                                  > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
                                  > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
                                  > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
                                  > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
                                  > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
                                  >
                                  > -Nat
                                • natfairbanks
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
                                    I'm running my linkstation behind a hardware firewall/router (linksys
                                    wrt54g) with port forwarding set up. I also use nmap to double check
                                    that the settings only open the ports I want to the network I want.
                                    I'm sure there are others with fairly loaded linkstation/kurobox
                                    setups, the forums and wiki at
                                    http://www.kurobox.com/forums/ and
                                    http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php have been very helpful.
                                    Thanks for the comments on the gallery, it's a stock install of the
                                    http://gallery.menalto.com/ software.

                                    The most memory intensive tools have been MySQL and Apache, although
                                    other software that runs multiple instances have to be configured to
                                    run fewer instances as well. Set the number of spare servers and max
                                    servers down fairly now, don't compile in features you don't need and
                                    everything should work fine. The way my system is set up now I
                                    haven't noticed any swapping, there's usually 8-16MB of free ram.

                                    I haven't been to Fairbanks, Alaska, but I'm in New Hampshire, which
                                    does get plenty of ice and snow. Not as bad as Alaska I guess, since
                                    there are only a couple of days a year you'd leave your car running.

                                    -Nat

                                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "