If you have trouble hacking into the LinkStation, here's a suggestion

  • andrewdornbusch
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2004
      I upgraded my firmware from 1.43 to 1.45 and tried to hack the root
      password file per the instructions in the files area of this forum.
      For some undetermined reason, executing the shell script (to change
      write permissions for the password file) from my browser (Mozilla) was
      unsuccessful. On a lark, I tried the equivalent Perl script:

      #!/usr/bin/perl
      system('chmod 666 /etc/passwd');

      It did successfully execute from the browser, enabling me to edit the
      password file. So, if your LinkStation gives you the same trouble
      when hacking it, try this alternative.
    • irvine_stock
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2004
        I have found that editing the passwd file does not work very well
        for most people. Most of the reasons are because vi is about the
        only editor that can be used and most people can't use it.
        With the TERM=ansi as default its impossible to use without changing
        TERM to VT100.
        Most folks use a dos based editor and ctrl-M gets inserted after
        everyline. This will kill the password file pretty much since the
        bash shell can't get loaded anymore.
        It's just too error prone for rookies.
        So I suggest cracking the password a different way. Put this in
        the 'cgi=bin3' directory file.

        #!/usr/bin/perl
        system('echo "myroot::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash" >> /etc/passwd');

        This adds myroot to the end of the passwd file without any editing
        or changing the passwd chmod. Saves a few steps I think too.
        Just make sure myroot is not in the file already.

        Then login as myroot with no password. Your in.
        What do you think?

        Rich

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "andrewdornbusch"