Seeking dead LinkStations for demos at National Engineers Week

  • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2004
      LinkStation_General readers, (cross post with NSLU2 eGroups)

      If by chance you have a dead LinkStation that can't be returned for
      warrantee replacement, we will gladly take your unit in exchange for
      statement of donation to the Phillips Amateur Radio & Computing
      station (http://rtpnet.org/parc). Each year we do outreach to area
      schools, targeting Middle School Youth and the importance of technical
      literacy in coordination with National Engineers Week. For the past
      two years, Cybiko progammable PDAs were the hands-on programmable demo
      along with small tape "robots" (automated tape libraries).

      This year we are adding the slug (NSLU2) and perhaps
      DriveStation/KuroBox as samples of products that require technical
      skills and are quite understandable/relevant to their lifestyles.
      Setting up iTunes server(s) and as an Amateur Radio store-and-forward
      special purpose node. You can imagine the iTunes server is getting
      more interest from the middle school crowd, eh?

      We are looking for a dead LinkStation or two to go with one dead slug
      (NSLU2) that we can open up to pass around to the audience. Our
      experience with the Cybiko PDAs showed us we needed to have
      non-functional units to pass around as opposed to the functionl ones
      run under supervised demos. Seems at least one walks away per day of
      demos ! And the stories we get from kids begging to have one given to
      them !!

      Anyway, if you are interested in making such a donation, contact me
      off-list.

      Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
      PS - Sorry for use of sneakemail, but it helps us filter spam from
      real e-mail.