Re: [LinkStation_General] To Do List

  • Derek Taubert
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
      On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 08:54:04PM -0000, Thom Mason wrote:
      > Here's a stab at things that might be worthwhile to explore:
      >
      > 1) find a suitable distribution to draw on so that we can use
      > existing ppc binaries. Of course anything that works is good but it
      > might be helpful if we took a common approach since then we could
      > benefit from each others experiences in uncovering conflicts,
      > inconsistencies etc that might differ depending on filesystem
      > structure etc. Possibilities are:
      >
      > Yellowdog: http:
      > http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/yellowdog/index.html
      > (3.0 seems the most comprehensive and up to date - 4.0 doesn't seem
      > to be available at rpmfind)
      >
      > Fedora Development core ppc:
      > http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/development/ppc/index.html
      >
      > 2) get a toolchain built:
      > Crosstool should be up to the task since it is well tested for ppc
      > http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/
      >
      > 3) alternatively get gcc etc working on the Linkstation - may be
      > stressing the linkstation's little brain a bit so cross compiling is
      > likely the way to go.

      I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-2.59.3
      (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo seems to
      have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a cross
      compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this easily.

      > 4) Slimserver - based on perl but uses lots of memory - there is
      > talk of a Slimserver lite that might be more suitable if it surfaces
      > (maybe we could get the Slimdevices people motivated)
      >
      > 5) mt-daapd

      I'd like to see a upnp compatible media server (like for the Linksys
      WMLS11B). I don't know enough about Slimserver/daap to know if they
      handle this...

      > 6) dropbear
      >
      > 7) nfsd

      This might be _very_ easy. The linkstation already has the nfs.o and
      nfsd.o kernel modules installed.

      Derek

      > 8) etc...
      >
      > Please chime in with ideas.
      >
      > Thom
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Thom Mason
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
        Derek,

        What was involved in getting rpm up and running?

        Thom
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
        <taubert@g...> wrote:
        > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
        2.59.3
        > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
        seems to
        > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
        cross
        > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
        easily.

      • Derek Taubert
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
          I didn't run rpm on the box, as I knew the available packages would have
          incompatibilities. I picked out certain files with rpm2cpio | cpio -i and
          just copied them over.

          I'm almost done with a cross compiler, but I need some standard include
          files for the OS/platform. Wish they would have provided these in the GPL
          zip. Will try to pluck them out of a linux dist...

          Derek

          On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:32:10AM -0000, Thom Mason wrote:
          > Derek,
          >
          > What was involved in getting rpm up and running?
          >
          > Thom
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
          > <taubert@g...> wrote:
          > > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
          > 2.59.3
          > > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
          > seems to
          > > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
          > cross
          > > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
          > easily.
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Derek Taubert
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
            On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 06:58:15PM -0700, Derek Taubert wrote:

            > I didn't run rpm on the box, as I knew the available packages would have
            > incompatibilities. I picked out certain files with rpm2cpio | cpio -i and
            > just copied them over.
            >
            > I'm almost done with a cross compiler, but I need some standard include
            > files for the OS/platform. Wish they would have provided these in the GPL
            > zip. Will try to pluck them out of a linux dist...

            Err, looks like I can get them out of the glibc rpm from the GPL zip.
            Setting up a cross system to handle these GPL rpms is a bit of work. Lots
            of custom stuff in those spec files...

            Derek

            > Derek
            >

            > On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:32:10AM -0000, Thom Mason wrote:
            > > Derek,
            > >
            > > What was involved in getting rpm up and running?
            > >
            > > Thom
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
            > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
            > > > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
            > > 2.59.3
            > > > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
            > > seems to
            > > > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
            > > cross
            > > > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
            > > easily.
            > > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Matthew Flint
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
              <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
              > Here's a stab at things that might be worthwhile to explore:
              > 8) etc...
              >
              > Please chime in with ideas.

              - Kernel support for other USB devices, such as 802.11b/g adapters.

              - routing functions (so can be used as a cheap wireless router)

              - a WiKi hosted somewhere, lest we start losing good information in
              the Yahoo group

              Matthew