vi: xterm: unknown terminal type - fix/workaround

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2004
      I found and easy fix for those wanting to use something better than MS
      Telnet
      to configure your linkstations but are getting the dreaded 'vi: xterm:
      unknown terminal
      type' message. Well the fix is to 'cp /usr/share/terminfo/v/vt100 to
      ../x/xterm' or
      copy the /usr/share/terminfo/X/xterm from the Kuro binaries to
      /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm.

      I don't know what the difference is or if there is a utility to just create
      a xterm
      terminfo file but this works 1000% better and makes me more confident
      editing
      critical file with vi. btw: I'm now using PuTTY as my telnet client.

      JR
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2004
        --- James Ronald <jronald@...> wrote:

        > I found and easy fix for those wanting to use
        > something better than MS
        > Telnet
        > to configure your linkstations but are getting the
        > dreaded 'vi: xterm:
        > unknown terminal
        > type' message. Well the fix is to 'cp
        > /usr/share/terminfo/v/vt100 to
        > ../x/xterm' or
        > copy the /usr/share/terminfo/X/xterm from the Kuro
        > binaries to
        > /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm.

        Yea, I had just been entering "TERM=vt100" at the
        command line once inside of the linkstation, meaning
        to put it into a .profile, .cshrc or something link
        that. I like your solution better.

        > I don't know what the difference is or if there is a
        > utility to just create a xterm
        > terminfo file but this works 1000% better and makes
        > me more confident editing critical file with vi.

        Yes, vi seems to work just fine for me this way too.
        I guess we may need to get an editor that would be
        more familiar to non-Unix types to use.

        > btw: I'm now using PuTTY as my telnet client.

        Yes, I recommend it too, it is what I use when I'm on
        a Windows box because I usually need secure shell
        (ssh) access to things.

        ====================

        I've been fooling around with the contents of the
        flash memory regions and figured out how do do a few
        things, but still have futher to go. I'll do a HOW-TO
        file on it soon. Seems like there is an archive of
        various files in /etc, two kernels (yes two, different
        length kernels, maybe one is a diagnostic mode
        kernel?) and something that might be an initial
        ramdisk, but I don't know for sure yet.

        =====
        Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

        Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

        http://vote.yahoo.com