HS-DH500GL constant network activity?

  • sigfreund
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2010
      I have a HS-DH500GL and because of constant network and drive activity rarely leave it on. Is this normal? I worry that maybe it is being accessed or probed from sources outsie my home network. I don't understand what it is doing with all of my computers in my network off yet it still shows network and hard drive activity activity. Is there any way to get it to sleep when it is not being used?
    • paul
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2010
        sigfreund said the following on 11/6/2010 7:23 AM:
        > I have a HS-DH500GL and because of constant network and drive
        > activity rarely leave it on. Is this normal? I worry that maybe it
        > is being accessed or probed from sources outsie my home network. I
        > don't understand what it is doing with all of my computers in my
        > network off yet it still shows network and hard drive activity
        > activity. Is there any way to get it to sleep when it is not being
        > used?

        Probed from outside your LAN? You /do/ have a router and are not just
        plugging the ISP feed into a hub? Get thee to www.grc.com and use
        ShieldsUP. Once you are "stealth" the activity seen by your linksys is
        from your LAN.

        My linksys stays on a lot. I think it is a combination of "when to
        sleep" time and network activity.

        Network activity.... when you map a drive letter to the linksys Windows
        is going to ping it once in a while while your PC is in use.

        When all the PC's go to sleep, the linksys does, too.

        You can try un-mapping to the linksys... it should still appear in
        Explorer in Network Places. yeah, I'm still using XP.

        paul
        --
        http://remsset.com

        Lensmen eat Jedi for breakfast.