Is LinkStation too slow for SlimServer?

  • mkagoston
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2004
      I have the LinkStation on which I installed SlimServer v5.4.0.
      I tried playing some .flac files on SoftSqueeze and the Roku
      Soundbridge. On both of them (which are hardwired to the LinkStation)
      I get a fair number of rather long pauses when I play the music.
      Are the lossless .flac files too much for the LinkStation to handle?
      Has anybody else had the same problem? If that is the case, then
      that's a bummer since that is why a bought LinkStation so that I
      would not have to have a computer running while listening to music.
      I also tried to play some MP3 files and they played ok but even there
      I think I noticed a brief hiccup at least once. WMA lossless files
      play fine on the Soundbridge if I use my computer and Windows Media
      Connect.

      On a related matter, I am unable to get access to my playlist from
      either the Soundbridge or SoftSqueeze. I can create and edit the
      playlists from the SlimServer Web interface but only if I go into
      Handheld mode. Can anyone help me with that?

      Thanks.

      Max
    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
        I excluisively use flac encoded music with my slimserver, squeezebox,
        and linkstation. I do not experience any pauses in the music. Are you
        transcoding the flac files to mp3 or wav?

        Jamy

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mkagoston"
        <mkagoston@m...> wrote:

        > I have the LinkStation on which I installed SlimServer v5.4.0.
        > I tried playing some .flac files on SoftSqueeze and the Roku
        > Soundbridge. On both of them (which are hardwired to the LinkStation)
        > I get a fair number of rather long pauses when I play the music.
        > Are the lossless .flac files too much for the LinkStation to handle?
        > Has anybody else had the same problem? If that is the case, then
        > that's a bummer since that is why a bought LinkStation so that I
        > would not have to have a computer running while listening to music.
        > I also tried to play some MP3 files and they played ok but even there
        > I think I noticed a brief hiccup at least once. WMA lossless files
        > play fine on the Soundbridge if I use my computer and Windows Media
        > Connect.
        >
        > On a related matter, I am unable to get access to my playlist from
        > either the Soundbridge or SoftSqueeze. I can create and edit the
        > playlists from the SlimServer Web interface but only if I go into
        > Handheld mode. Can anyone help me with that?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Max
      • gotsprings12
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
          Please see my other post about my experiance with running Slimserver
          on my Kuro.

          For just playback and not using the web interface... Flac plays
          without a hitch.

          It my problems with internet radio and remote streaming that I need
          help with.

          Gotsprings
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

          > I excluisively use flac encoded music with my slimserver, squeezebox,
          > and linkstation. I do not experience any pauses in the music. Are you
          > transcoding the flac files to mp3 or wav?
          >
          > Jamy
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mkagoston"
          > <mkagoston@m...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have the LinkStation on which I installed SlimServer v5.4.0.
          > > I tried playing some .flac files on SoftSqueeze and the Roku
          > > Soundbridge. On both of them (which are hardwired to the LinkStation)
          > > I get a fair number of rather long pauses when I play the music.
          > > Are the lossless .flac files too much for the LinkStation to handle?
          > > Has anybody else had the same problem? If that is the case, then
          > > that's a bummer since that is why a bought LinkStation so that I
          > > would not have to have a computer running while listening to music.
          > > I also tried to play some MP3 files and they played ok but even there
          > > I think I noticed a brief hiccup at least once. WMA lossless files
          > > play fine on the Soundbridge if I use my computer and Windows Media
          > > Connect.
          > >
          > > On a related matter, I am unable to get access to my playlist from
          > > either the Soundbridge or SoftSqueeze. I can create and edit the
          > > playlists from the SlimServer Web interface but only if I go into
          > > Handheld mode. Can anyone help me with that?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Max
        • mkagoston
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
            Jamy,

            I just updated my slimserver to v.5.4.1 and it seemed to play the
            .flac files better, but I am no expert with slimserver and I don't
            know what it is doing. Where would I check as to whether it is doing
            any transcoding? I did not change any of the default settings.

            On a related question: I have installed (but not yet compiled)
            the ffmpeg program on the LinkStation because I read on the
            pfarrell.com site that I would be able to also play wma lossless
            files with this program. In the installation instructions it says
            that the program needs to be on a path visible to slimserver.
            Would you know what path that needs to be?

            Is there a "best" simple C compiler for LinkStation?

            Thanks.

            Max

            wrote:

            > I excluisively use flac encoded music with my slimserver,
            squeezebox,
            > and linkstation. I do not experience any pauses in the music. Are
            you
            > transcoding the flac files to mp3 or wav?
            >
            > Jamy
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mkagoston"
            > <mkagoston@m...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have the LinkStation on which I installed SlimServer v5.4.0.
            > > I tried playing some .flac files on SoftSqueeze and the Roku
            > > Soundbridge. On both of them (which are hardwired to the
            LinkStation)
            > > I get a fair number of rather long pauses when I play the music.
            > > Are the lossless .flac files too much for the LinkStation to
            handle?
            > > Has anybody else had the same problem? If that is the case, then
            > > that's a bummer since that is why a bought LinkStation so that I
            > > would not have to have a computer running while listening to
            music.
            > > I also tried to play some MP3 files and they played ok but even
            there
            > > I think I noticed a brief hiccup at least once. WMA lossless
            files
            > > play fine on the Soundbridge if I use my computer and Windows
            Media
            > > Connect.
            > >
            > > On a related matter, I am unable to get access to my playlist
            from
            > > either the Soundbridge or SoftSqueeze. I can create and edit the
            > > playlists from the SlimServer Web interface but only if I go into
            > > Handheld mode. Can anyone help me with that?
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > Max
          • jamy1975
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
              The settings you want are under server settings, file types.

              You should ask about your macos problem on the slimdevices discussion
              list.