Linkstation HD-H120LAN - Root access

  • grashnaknieswurz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29 2:25 PM
      Hi there,

      I just bought a network music player and wanted to install a media server on my Linkstation. As far as I know, it's the PPC one.
      For the installation I need root access. But I have a newer firmware on it. So I would like to downgrade but I don't have the file.
      Could anybody provide me firmware lower or equal to 1.45?

      Or is there any other way to get root access?

      Cheers,

      Eric
    • Brian Cowan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29 8:17 PM
        As I recall, you can take advantage of the fact that the webroot
        directory is completely insecure on these things to execute arbitrary
        scripts. I copied /etc/passwd to my main storage directory, edited it to
        do something to the root password, and then used a script to copy it
        back. Worked well.

        grashnaknieswurz wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I just bought a network music player and wanted to install a media
        > server on my Linkstation. As far as I know, it's the PPC one.
        > For the installation I need root access. But I have a newer firmware
        > on it. So I would like to downgrade but I don't have the file.
        > Could anybody provide me firmware lower or equal to 1.45?
        >
        > Or is there any other way to get root access?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Eric

      • John Euinton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30 3:21 AM
          Hi Eric,

          There is lots of information on the different Linkstation models at http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

          I have a a HD-HLAN1 v1 (LS1). So mine is a PPC based one. I have the Freelink firmware on mine and have the 2.6 kernel too. I have installed MediaTomb as the UPnP music server and have a Philips SA5220 wireless music player that works great with it. If you use the 2.6 kernel then MediaTomb is able to detect immediately new MP3 files copied onto the LinkStataion and it updates it's database automatically. If you stay with the 2.4 kernel then MediaTomb is still great, but the automatic database update when new MP3 files are added does not happen.

          So, once you have checked that you have this PPC based LS1 model, get the firmware you want to try from:

          Freelink v1.11 (Debian Linux) - http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php?title=Category:FreeLink
          Buffalo original firmware  - http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org/LS1_PPC/StockFirmware/Stock/HD-HLAN_FW1.45_13.zip

          If you want the LinKStation to run much like the original Buffalo formware, with the their web interface, but be able to login with root access then ther eis the OpenLink firmware - http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Category:OpenLink

          A link on the wiki site takes you to instructions for booting the 2.6 kernel over the top of a 2.4 based firmware such as Freelink -  http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/documentation/

          The wiki has a section on installing MediaTomb on the different LinkStation firmwares.

          Regards,
          John

          --
          John Euinton