Recover data from a Linkstation HD250

  • Gerardo Gomez
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19 9:11 PM
      Hi All,

      I have a Linkstation HD250. I cannot turn it on again, I am guessing that there was some power failure and it blew up the internal power supply. I managed to open the enclosure and rescued the Hard Drive which is a Wester Digital WD2500. I hooked it up to a USB Drive Adaptor and it started spinning, step one: sucess... Step two: I attached the usb to my laptop (Windows Vista) and it recognized the hard drive, however it does not assign a drive letter and the storage manager does not allow you to assign a letter.

      I have read that this drive may have a disk controler for linux. I do not have a linux operating system so I found an applicatio called explore2fs that can read a hard drive however our friends from Buffalo inserted the 'magic number', I know that Fix ext2 magic would fix this but I have not found a program like that for my windows vista laptop.

      Anybody has any suggestions on how to rescue my data using my Windows laptop? Should I try to run linux on it just to rescue my data?

      Thanks for your help and time,

      Gerardo.
    • Paul Wright
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23 4:08 AM
        Hi Geraldo,

        you're best option is probably to get a bootable linux disk, google should bring up half a dozen options.

        I tend to use the latest live version of openSuSE (from www.openuse.org), but that's just a personal preference.

        If I remember correctly only the boot partition has a skewed magic number, the data partition (no. 3) has a normal magic number and should be mountable without the fix utility. (in any event the OS runs in RAM and you can install new software, it just wont be there when you reboot).

        If you have another NAS just mount a share and copy the data. There is plenty of info on the 'net covering basic unix style commands to guide you.

        Peter

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gerardo Gomez" <gomitosg@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have a Linkstation HD250. I cannot turn it on again, I am guessing that there was some power failure and it blew up the internal power supply. I managed to open the enclosure and rescued the Hard Drive which is a Wester Digital WD2500. I hooked it up to a USB Drive Adaptor and it started spinning, step one: sucess... Step two: I attached the usb to my laptop (Windows Vista) and it recognized the hard drive, however it does not assign a drive letter and the storage manager does not allow you to assign a letter.
        >
        > I have read that this drive may have a disk controler for linux. I do not have a linux operating system so I found an applicatio called explore2fs that can read a hard drive however our friends from Buffalo inserted the 'magic number', I know that Fix ext2 magic would fix this but I have not found a program like that for my windows vista laptop.
        >
        > Anybody has any suggestions on how to rescue my data using my Windows laptop? Should I try to run linux on it just to rescue my data?
        >
        > Thanks for your help and time,
        >
        > Gerardo.

      • paul
        Message 3 of 3 , May 23 3:29 PM
          Gerardo Gomez said the following on 5/19/2009 11:11 PM:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I have a Linkstation HD250. I cannot turn it on again, I am guessing
          > that there was some power failure and it blew up the internal power
          > supply. I managed to open the enclosure and rescued the Hard Drive
          > which is a Wester Digital WD2500. I hooked it up to a USB Drive
          > Adaptor and it started spinning, step one: sucess... Step two: I
          > attached the usb to my laptop (Windows Vista) and it recognized the
          > hard drive, however it does not assign a drive letter and the storage
          > manager does not allow you to assign a letter.

          So far, so good. You might have better luck if you open your PC and
          slave the drive. Might have to tell BIOS there is a new drive. Oh,
          wait, you have a laptop. The USB will have to do.

          Windows is not going to recognize the drive. Sure, Disk Manager can see
          it, but not Explorer or File Manager. Because the drive is formatted as
          whatever Linksys uses (I forget a name and there are choices) and
          Windows can read FAT and NTFS.

          > I have read that this drive may have a disk controler for linux. I do
          > not have a linux operating system so I found an applicatio called
          > explore2fs that can read a hard drive however our friends from
          > Buffalo inserted the 'magic number', I know that Fix ext2 magic would
          > fix this but I have not found a program like that for my windows
          > vista laptop.

          Get a copy of Ubuntu. Or some other flavor of 'nix. Something that can
          boot from the CD. No installing and screwing up of your laptop needed.
          Then just copy all your stuff over to your C:\. Making a folder
          beforehand on the Desktop may make it all easier.

          Should work. Tho I have no idea if the USB stuff will work.

          If the disk has a lot of stuff, it will take a while.

          > Anybody has any suggestions on how to rescue my data using my Windows
          > laptop? Should I try to run linux on it just to rescue my data?
          >
          > Thanks for your help and time,
          >
          > Gerardo.

          paul

          --