connection protocols

  • Marc Bizer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2004
      On 12/20/04 at 10:17 AM -0800, Steve Lemke wrote:
      >Another thing I tried was creating a regular smart set on the
      >Linkstation-mounted server volume (not sure if it was smb or afp --
      >it's hard to tell on OS X which is used), but ran into the 2GB max
      >file limitation.

      SMB volumes on the Buffalo are not supposed to be subject to a 2 GB
      max file limitation, but I ran into it using Retrospect, so I figure
      that the problem is this Retrospect :-(

      Currently (i.e. with the current version of netatalk), ftp is the
      only workaround for file size and file name limitations.

      >Does anyone have a matrix of file size and filename length limitations
      >for SMB, afp, and the latest netatalk, for both Windows and Mac
      >clients?

      smb: long filenames (up to 256 characters), but there are various
      restrictions on what those characters can be. It's much more limiting
      than afp. Supposedly handles files > 2 GB. Another *huge* limitation
      for Mac users: smb doesn't properly handle files with resource forks.

      afp (bundled, netatalk v.1.6.7): file names < 32 characters, file
      sizes < 2 GB. Handles all sorts of odd characters in file names.

      afp+ (customized with netatalk 2.0.1): long filenames (up to 256
      characters), file sizes > 2 GB, handles all sorts of odd characters
      in file names.

      Conclusion: for Mac users, the new version of netatalk finally gives
      us a machine that has no serious limitations in terms of file size or
      file names. We should petition Buffalo to have this included in the
      system build ASAP.

      --Marc

      PS: Retrospect can't automount smb volumes.