Re: LinkStation and Online Backups

  • Alan N
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
      I have had good success using ElephantDrive, which allows you to back
      up a mapped NAS drive. Their platform is based on Amazon's S3, and
      has worked well doing exactly what you describe.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "aeroknight"
      <amitwahi@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Quick question: does anyone have any experience backing up data
      from a
      > LinkStation to one of the several online backup solutions (either a
      > web host using rsync, an online backup provider or Amazon's S3)?
      >
      > I have a LinkStation running debian and would really like some of
      the
      > data to sit out there on the cloud.
      >
      > Ideally the data should leave my linkstation encrypted and
      compressed
      > and only newer data or files that have changed should be transfered.
      >
      > Does anyone have any idea to go about this? Any help would be
      appreciated.

      > Thanks.

    • aeroknight
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2008
        Hi, Thanks!

        Sorry I didnt explain it clearly enough but I was actually thinking
        more along the lines of the LinkStation achieving the compressed,
        encrypted, bandwidth conscious remote backup on a standalone basis.

        The method you describe will require the Elephant Drive s/w running
        off another computer and the LinkStation mapped to it.

        An obvious solution to what I'm wanting to do is running duplicity on
        the LinkStation and backing up via ftp / rsync to a web/ ftp server or
        to S3. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or just using rsync
        on the LinkStation?

        Thanks

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Alan N" <amnast@...> wrote:

        > I have had good success using ElephantDrive, which allows you to back
        > up a mapped NAS drive. Their platform is based on Amazon's S3, and
        > has worked well doing exactly what you describe.
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "aeroknight"
        > <amitwahi@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > Quick question: does anyone have any experience backing up data
        > from a
        > > LinkStation to one of the several online backup solutions (either a
        > > web host using rsync, an online backup provider or Amazon's S3)?
        > >
        > > I have a LinkStation running debian and would really like some of
        > the
        > > data to sit out there on the cloud.
        > >
        > > Ideally the data should leave my linkstation encrypted and
        > compressed
        > > and only newer data or files that have changed should be transfered.
        > >
        > > Does anyone have any idea to go about this? Any help would be
        > appreciated.
        > >
        > > Thanks.

      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2008
          Hello, I've read and gotten feedback from friends about JungleDisk,
          which is a software that interacts with Amazon's S3 to transfer
          encrypted backups. I haven't verified that it supports compression,
          but likely it would.

          I do know that the company supports linux, and that there is a 30 day
          trial, and the software costs USD20.

          Look into that, as it seems to be a good solution for your situation.

          -Tim