LinkStation and Online Backups

  • aeroknight
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2008
      Hi All,

      Quick question: does anyone have any experience backing up data from a
      LinkStation to one of the several online backup solutions (either a
      web host using rsync, an online backup provider or Amazon's S3)?

      I have a LinkStation running debian and would really like some of the
      data to sit out there on the cloud.

      Ideally the data should leave my linkstation encrypted and compressed
      and only newer data or files that have changed should be transfered.

      Does anyone have any idea to go about this? Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks.
    • Alan N
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
        I have had good success using ElephantDrive, which allows you to back
        up a mapped NAS drive. Their platform is based on Amazon's S3, and
        has worked well doing exactly what you describe.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "aeroknight"
        <amitwahi@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Quick question: does anyone have any experience backing up data
        from a
        > LinkStation to one of the several online backup solutions (either a
        > web host using rsync, an online backup provider or Amazon's S3)?
        >
        > I have a LinkStation running debian and would really like some of
        the
        > data to sit out there on the cloud.
        >
        > Ideally the data should leave my linkstation encrypted and
        compressed
        > and only newer data or files that have changed should be transfered.
        >
        > Does anyone have any idea to go about this? Any help would be
        appreciated.

        > Thanks.

      • aeroknight
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2008
          Hi, Thanks!

          Sorry I didnt explain it clearly enough but I was actually thinking
          more along the lines of the LinkStation achieving the compressed,
          encrypted, bandwidth conscious remote backup on a standalone basis.

          The method you describe will require the Elephant Drive s/w running
          off another computer and the LinkStation mapped to it.

          An obvious solution to what I'm wanting to do is running duplicity on
          the LinkStation and backing up via ftp / rsync to a web/ ftp server or
          to S3. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or just using rsync
          on the LinkStation?

          Thanks

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Alan N" <amnast@...> wrote:

          > I have had good success using ElephantDrive, which allows you to back
          > up a mapped NAS drive. Their platform is based on Amazon's S3, and
          > has worked well doing exactly what you describe.
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "aeroknight"
          > <amitwahi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > Quick question: does anyone have any experience backing up data
          > from a
          > > LinkStation to one of the several online backup solutions (either a
          > > web host using rsync, an online backup provider or Amazon's S3)?
          > >
          > > I have a LinkStation running debian and would really like some of
          > the
          > > data to sit out there on the cloud.
          > >
          > > Ideally the data should leave my linkstation encrypted and
          > compressed
          > > and only newer data or files that have changed should be transfered.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any idea to go about this? Any help would be
          > appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks.

        • musikgoat
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2008
            Hello, I've read and gotten feedback from friends about JungleDisk,
            which is a software that interacts with Amazon's S3 to transfer
            encrypted backups. I haven't verified that it supports compression,
            but likely it would.

            I do know that the company supports linux, and that there is a 30 day
            trial, and the software costs USD20.

            Look into that, as it seems to be a good solution for your situation.

            -Tim