Re: Is anyone home?

  • ramuklinkstation
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2008
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185"
      <sheller185@...> wrote:

      > ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
      > online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
      > a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
      > stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
      > mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
      > to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
      > videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
      > and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
      > to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
      > them. thank you in advance.
      > -steve

      Well first, the DOD is making those restrictions precisely to prevent
      him from doing things like this.

      regardless the newest LS Live firmware has a Shared web access feature
      http://www.buffalotech.com/technology/our-technology/web-access/

      I don't know if it's secured in the same way that OpenVPN (or even
      PoPToP) would be but it would probably be the easiest way. At some
      point depending on data movement, the website/IP that you end up using
      may end up being blocked (corporations do this all the time when they
      see large data flows to unknown IP/servers)