Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Data Transfer Speed

  • Rogério Brito
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2008
      Hi, Gary.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Smith" <gary@...>
      wrote:
      > Is there anyway to check the speed at which my Linkstaiton is
      > working. Its
      > the original *HD-HGLAN
      > (HG)*<http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Category:HG> model.

      I don't know how you're using your Linkstation. On my "pure Debian"
      standard kurobox, I have many utilities which I installed and one of
      them is mii-tool (I'm a die-hard Unix user).

      If you don't have this one, ethtool is also able to tell you with
      which speed you're connected and if you're using full duplex or not.

      Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

    • g_m_s
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2008
        <musikgoat@...> wrote:
        > In my opinion, if you want to achieve quick transfers from the
        > Linkstation to your usb drivestation, you should gain telnet access
        > to the device, and initiate the movement of data from inside the
        > linkstation.

        To expand a tiny bit on what MusikGoat wrote, you need to download
        ACP_COMMANDER from SourceForge. It's a Java applet. You run it from a
        DOS/Windows command prompt. This unlocks Telnet on the Linkstation.
        You usually only have to run acp_commander once (until your LS is next
        rebooted). Before running it, you must turn off your PC's firewall, or
        modify your firewall to open the correct ports. I find it easier to
        just turn off the f/w while running telnet.

        After acp_commander says you can get into your LS, you run Telnet [ip
        address of LS] at a command prompt on your pc. Then you can move files
        between folders and shares of the LS. Here are a few things you may
        need to know if you're not familiar with Linux.

        LS command is like "dir" command in Dos/Windows

        LS -l gives a detailed listing

        If you just type "ls" at a prompt, you won't appear to get anything,
        because you're above the root. "ls /" will give you the contents of
        the root. "ls /mnt/" will give you the volumes of drives. If your LS
        has raid, "ls /mnt/array1" lists the contents of the raid
        array. "ls /mnt/usbdisk1" lists contents of usb disk one.

        CP command is like "xcopy" in Dos/Windows

        CHMOD lets you modify permissions on files and folders.
        *EVERYTHING* in Linux is case sensitive, so wear a motorcycle helmet
        if you dont' want to pull out all your hair in frustration

        I can move about 20gb of stuff from usb to main array in about 5
        minutes. Using Windows explorer, it could take over a half hour.

        I'm still a noob at Linkstations and Linux, so ask guru's like
        Musikgoat for specific details.